Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocean FM

Options
  • 05-02-2015 12:46pm

I thought I would start a thread about the local radio station,Ocean FM to talk about the the topics covered in the morning show and other shows on it and maybe discuss them on this forum,if anybody is interested!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

As local radio stations go, it's pretty good. Definitely much much better than the old NorthWest Radio that we had before Ocean.

Margaret Carr-Flynn is very poor though, and she's on 3 different shows, one after the other on weekday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Henlars67 wrote: »
    As local radio stations go, it's pretty good. Definitely much much better than the old NorthWest Radio that we had before Ocean.

Margaret Carr-Flynn is very poor though, and she's on 3 different shows, one after the other on weekday mornings.
    Agree 100%. I change channel every time she comes on.

She should be better after all these years on the radio. I just listen to Niall Delaneys show and switch over to planet rock or something else, it's a good show to keep up to date with local stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I would consider Margaret carr-Flynn very cheery. I'm a student and I listen to it a lot when I get on the bus to college.

Vlove wrote: »
    I would consider Margaret carr-Flynn very cheery. I'm a student and I listen to it a lot when I get on the bus to college.

Maybe,but not very articulate for a radio presenter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Maybe,but not very articulate for a radio presenter!

Thats true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

David's a gas. A real corker. I nearly crashed the car laughing the time him and Franci tried to sing the outro to Bill Withers Lovely Day. The Lazy Afternoon won that PPI award for Ocean. Michelle is great too. All down to earth folk. As far as local radio stations go, it's one of the best in Ireland. Always up for a laugh.

To give Margaret her dues, didn't she start off in admin and reading community diary or something like that on the morning show? And then got her own slot? She still does a lot of work on research and production. And she has her fans, and plenty of them, but I'm not one of them, she'd laugh at anything.

Niall is a great interviewer, knows his stuff and not frightened to take on a challenge. All in all, it's a great station. They are keen to promote local artists and local news items. But come election time, the morning show is awash with wanna be councillors talking about the price of parsnips and dog poop on the footpaths. They need to limit that as the station is unlistenable around election time.

As far as presenters who know their music, Ciaran Carty and Seamie Mac are top class. I know when either is on air by the music they are playing, all hand picked stuff and quality. Mind you, both are pro DJ's for years and it shows. Seamie Mac deserves his own slot, and as far as I know, Ciaran is Head of Music so is plenty busy with other things, but its always great to hear him when he stands in when one of the regulars is away, likewise Seamie.

For day time listening, I much prefer Ocean to any of the national radio stations. So fair play to them all and those behind the scenes. It's a great station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Kettleson wrote: »
    David's a gas. A real corker. I nearly crashed the car laughing the time him and Franci tried to sing the outro to Bill Withers Lovely Day. The Lazy Afternoon won that PPI award for Ocean. Michelle is great too. All down to earth folk. As far as local radio stations go, it's one of the best in Ireland. Always up for a laugh.

To give Margaret her dues, didn't she start off in admin and reading community diary or something like that on the morning show? And then got her own slot? She still does a lot of work on research and production. And she has her fans, and plenty of them, but I'm not one of them, she'd laugh at anything.

Niall is a great interviewer, knows his stuff and not frightened to take on a challenge. All in all, it's a great station. They are keen to promote local artists and local news items. But come election time, the morning show is awash with wanna be councillors talking about the price of parsnips and dog poop on the footpaths. They need to limit that as the station is unlistenable around election time.

As far as presenters who know their music, Ciaran Carty and Seamie Mac are top class. I know when either is on air by the music they are playing, all hand picked stuff and quality. Mind you, both are pro DJ's for years and it shows. Seamie Mac deserves his own slot, and as far as I know, Ciaran is Head of Music so is plenty busy with other things, but its always great to hear him when he stands in when one of the regulars is away, likewise Seamie.

For day time listening, I much prefer Ocean to any of the national radio stations. So fair play to them all and those behind the scenes. It's a great station.

Depends what you're into I suppose. I'd have a big interest in local politics, so I love the Delaney show around election time.

His coverage of local politics in general is top-notch

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Depends what you're into I suppose. I'd have a big interest in local politics, so I love the Delaney show around election time.

His coverage of local politics in general is top-notch

Yes I would agree, its the "management" of the wannabes salivating to get some promotional air time by phoning in on a whim to discuss the serious issue of the pot holes on the Ballygawley Road and then they disappear post election.

The election coverage itself was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Niall Delaney's and Francie Boylan's shows are the best (although Francie's show would be ten times better without the irritating voice of Michelle, David is good though) on Ocean FM. There's also great coverage of all kinds of local sport on weekends too.

They could do with getting rid of Marian Fitzgerald and Paschal Mooney but I suppose they're kept for the older listeners which is fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Niall at times does have some serious head bangers I actually know at least one who rings in under a different name ranting s!@€;.but he's not afraid of any issue and will not get bullied in interviews.

That Marian Fitzgearld show how is that let on the radio it's a dire embarrassing really.

But thankfully it's better than that tripe paul claffey's station puts out imagine if he had got the licence back.

Here's one if u have enough spare time to listen. It's yer man the button err...piano accordion player.

and the John Perry, err...interview.

https://soundcloud.com/oceanfm/minister-john-perry-fg-hangs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Perry, what a class act!

I think we're lucky to have a decent local station like Ocean FM, good local news, sports coverage and good tunes of an evening.

Keep up the good work lads and lassies!

Whats the story with the re-scheduling? Francie B show now daily 11-1pm?

Is MCF gone back to the control room? Have the programmers been reading this thread?

Edit:

Oh FFS! Just heard MCF has her own show now. 1-3pm daily. That's me tuning into iRadio from Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Darragh Cox is excellent on a Sunday afternoon. I think he is also their best football commentator , Pauric McShea as informed as he is just has way too deep a voice for radio IMO.

Whatever happened to Paul Scanlon and Mike Maloney,ex RTE presenters on the station?

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Paul Scanlon and Mike Maloney,ex RTE presenters on the station?

http://radiotoday.ie/2014/05/mike-moloney-joins-nova-for-classic-gold/

Going back a while.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/maloney-leaves-ocean-fm-27529368.html

Not sure where Paul is now, but I have heard some voice overs a couple of years ago for radio stations in Cork and other places.

https://ie.linkedin.com/pub/paul-scanlon/53/292/851

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=6613

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭iamnotme

Station is all over the place. Would be great to have people here when Delaney's on, like the LiveLine Thread. But probably not enough numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭iamnotme

Actually theres a terrible lack of choice of radio stations in this area. Impossible to hear music in morning. Vacuous presenters on 2FM and TodayFM reading tabloid papers and inviting simpletons to text in. Pat Kenny and Sean O'Rourke with their agendas. Delaney or RnaG? I'm way too old for i104.

I would love if we could get 4FM here on a radio as opposed to online, it's a station for over 40s with no country music crap.pity they aren't fully national.

• Advertisement

iamnotme wrote: »
    Station is all over the place. Would be great to have people here when Delaney's on, like the LiveLine Thread. But probably not enough numbers.

Yes, and I think Ocean FM is just about to get a whole lot worse. I cant get my head around morning "talk" radio. There must be some part of local radio stations licence requirements that require "community discussion".

Driving to work very often just get to hear one song in 20 minutes and that's by flicking through stations. Should be a ban on radio presenters talking more than 15 seconds in-between songs. On the digital front, RTE Gold is good for the middle age+ bracket. And I'll never get my head around classical, nor do I want to.

iamnotme wrote: »

I like Delaneys show but it should be on until 12. When you factor in ad breaks, news, bingo, obits and music there isn't an awful lot of topics covered in the discussions and phone ins, as the flow is broken up by the items I mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I'll have to say that I find Ocean FM a good station in the morning times only, I think Kevin Blessing before 9am and Niall Delaney from 9am to 11am is about the best. I am sure Margaret Carr Flynn in her own right is a very professional researcher and producer but she does not have the voice for radio, for a start she is on radio in one form or other from 8am to 12md each day, I stand to be corrected on this but isn't she one of the shareholders in Ocean FM??

Frabcie Boylin's programme would not have the audieance it has at the moment without David, he has a great natural way about him for radio and he is very popular.

MC-F a shareholder? Really?

Against better judgement, but not wishing to pre-judge, I tuned into Ocean FM yesterday and today.

Monday: MC-F with "Celebrity Chef" Joe Shanahan making pancakes and doing very little else.
    Tuesday: Francie and David with "Celebrity Chef" Joe Shanahan making pancakes.

I presume Ocean FM know what they are doing :rolleyes: and are targetting new listeners. But with this showing, they are going to lose plenty in the process.

So that's me done, Cherrio Ocean, its been nice knowing ya.

Kettleson wrote: »
    Against better judgement, but not wishing to pre-judge, I tuned into Ocean FM yesterday and today.

Monday: MC-F with "Celebrity Chef" Joe Shanahan making pancakes and doing very little else.
    Tuesday: Francie and David with "Celebrity Chef" Joe Shanahan making pancakes.

I presume Ocean FM know what they are doing :rolleyes: and are targetting new listeners. But with this showing, they are going to lose plenty in the process.

So that's me done, Cherrio Ocean, its been nice knowing ya.

Dire stuff, as I said earlier, after the Niall Delaney show I just change to something else, planet Rock is my current favourite radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Welcome to ocean fm, we'll be right back after these ads.....

welcome back to ocean fm, here's news and traffic....

we'll be right back after these ad......

radio bingo......

ads.......

obits.......

ads.......

maybe, just maybe one song or two....

ads.....

repeat ad infinitum.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Don't know what Ocean were thinking giving MCF her own music show, she's terrible. Francie Boylan is one of the best presenters there and they've cut back his show, awful decision. Does anyone know if Francie wanted less hours maybe or was it Ocean that decided it?

They pick up PPI Silver Award for Local Station of The Year 2014 and then they go changing the whole thing? Madness.

Francie Boylans Lazy Afternoon won that award for Ocean FM.

The MCF show sounds like a very under-prepared one-off school production. Its woeful, she has no radio presence whatsoever. I inadvertently tuned in on the car radio today. Woeful stuff.

Afternoon Delight?....more like "Afternoon Diarrhea".

• Advertisement

I really don't know what Ocean are up to. If they want to attract an older, more traditional audience in the afternoon they should get Marian Fitzgerald in.

She has presence, personality and can connect with the listeners. But I'd be guessing she wouldn't be interested. You'd need to be employed on FT basis to make it pay. I'd guess the part-time presenters are not paid well at all.

Advertisement