Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocean FM

Options

Comments

Wages? I wonder if that's why Paul Scanlon and Mike Maloney left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Wages? I wonder if that's why Paul Scanlon and Mike Maloney left!

Well you do things from time to time outta necessity. :rolleyes:. I was never a fan of Scanlon.

It was only about 6 months ago that Ocean got the licence back for the next 10 years. So maybe it's a case of taking your foot off the pedal? Cause I can't believe that this is a credible researched rescheduling to increase their audience. It looks like something that was decided over tea and biscuits.

Income from advertising might be a factor. But I'm guessing. But it's a disaster anyway. The buzz has gone from Francies show as well. Nice work Ocean.

PS: Someone mentioned earlier that MCF was a shareholder...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

M.C-F seems to be the tail wagging the dog in Ocean, and I don't think it's going to work well.
    I can't see many companies paying for ads during a programme thats weak on listenership. She'll have to waffle on a bit more about her love of Donegal GAA and Man. Utd to fill the time.
    Ad breaks are the bread and butter for any independent station and Ocean has no more than any other at the moment, but I foresee it becoming less during daytime hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 enniscrone2012

I only really listen to radio in the afternoon while at work, i have listened to francie and shanes programmes the odd time but always find myself listening to Padraic on Midwest Radio, he plays some great music and love the quiz he does.. I like when James King covers his show too, suprised he hasnt been given his own show yet or moved elsewhere. Will Leahy was the king of drivetime tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I think Ocean FM has improved well in the last few months. I like the Francie Boylan show. Like the Claire (Claire with an I) consumer advice show.

Niall Delaney is rubbish. Same stuff all the time, going by the time of year. e.g. rag week, policticans going to st patricks parades in foreign countrys. They could just play the show from last year and it would be the same stuff.

He got a good weeks worth this week about the politicians going away for St Patricks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Kettleson wrote: »
    I really don't know what Ocean are up to. If they want to attract an older, more traditional audience in the afternoon they should get Marian Fitzgerald in.

She has presence, personality and can connect with the listeners. But I'd be guessing she wouldn't be interested. You'd need to be employed on FT basis to make it pay. I'd guess the part-time presenters are not paid well at all.

And call it the coffin dodger show her show on Sunday is drivel.that traditional mature audience would only be happy with Paul Claffey and his cronies.nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Niall Delaney's show in the morning should be from 9am to 12, Francie Boylin should have his programme from 12 to 3pm, Margaret Carr Flynn should stick to producing. When I hear her coming on the Radio with her new programme I turn the dial straight away.

sligono1 wrote: »
    And call it the coffin dodger show her show on Sunday is drivel.that traditional mature audience would only be happy with Paul Claffey and his cronies.nothing else.

Agreed. My point was, if that is the audience they are courting (the Mid West Brigade), Marian F is head and shoulders above MCF. But ultimately for me, I have stopped listening in, full stop.

I reckon Francie will be looking at opportunities elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 diddly69

If francie is lookin at new opportunities good luck to him.....deserved......crazy decison to put his show to the new time.....only time i ever listened to ocean was that show....as soon as 4 o clock came.....switch off! .....

diddly69 wrote: »
    If francie is lookin at new opportunities good luck to him.....deserved......crazy decison to put his show to the new time.....only time i ever listened to ocean was that show....as soon as 4 o clock came.....switch off! .....

Same as. Francies show had a uniqueness and character. It meandered along mostly but it was relaxed and he was always in control, getting the chat out of David and Michelle and spinning a few old tunes on the way. That sort of individuality does not happen too often in radio.

In commercial terms the show has been "tightened up" and the show has lost it character. Ocean FM has shot itself in the foot big time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Just listening to Ocean FM yesterday and noticed that the same presenter is on every programme from early morning until late afternoon, her voice goes right through my head!!! :mad:, Is there nobody else they can get?? :confused::confused::confused:

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Just listening to Ocean FM yesterday and noticed that the same presenter is on every programme from early morning until late afternoon, her voice goes right through my head!!! :mad:, Is there nobody else they can get?? :confused::confused::confused:
    Oh yes and she is in that cringey clip about the mispronounciation of Daley Blind who plays for Man. Utd.

There is s thread devoted to Ocean FM on here by the way.

Stopped listening to her but got so sick of listening to her.is it a cost cutting method or she's way to connected to some one in the management

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

all Margaret Carr Flynn ever talks about is Harveys Point, and she always has the guy on from Harveys Point. She must be gettin a free dinner. :)

Mod,could you merge this thread with the other Ocean Fm one? Thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057375413

Carson10 wrote: »
    all Margaret Carr Flynn ever talks about is Harveys Point, and she always has the guy on from Harveys Point. She must be gettin a free dinner. :)

Are you sure you're not getting the chef mixed up with the guy from the Raddison in Sligo? Laughing at nothing those two. I tuned out weeks ago and wont be tuning back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I reckon she's paid by the word. Main reason I don't listen to Ocean. Like fingernails on a blackboard. And mispronounces anything and everything.

A few months on after I quit listening I switch between today FM in the mornings and 2fm in the afternoons I tuned in last week for a few mins oh god kids in transition year would run a better show.
    She is bad and very bad ratings have to be dropping like a stone.

One would imagine (not) that some sort of Market Research would have or "should have" been carried out prior to such a significant rescheduling especially prime time radio?

I haven't listened since a few days after the rescheduling. Francies show has lost its draw for me as well.

I would consider retuning to Ocean if Seamie Mac and Ciaran Carty were in regular slots and the Francie Show with David and Michelle was put back where it was with Francie managing the running as he liked.

Il Gatos "fingers on blackboard" is a great analogy, so much so it caused me some discomfort. No further comment on that.

I now listen to RTE Gold. And will not be going back to Ocean.

Mods: can you merge this thread with the other more recent one? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Mods: can you merge this thread with the other more recent one? Thanks.

Don't think the Mod is watching as I requested the same a few weeks back!

Don't think the Mod is watching as I requested the same a few weeks back!

yeah I seen that...I thought putting a request on the older thread would make it a bit more obvious by putting it on page one of threads, and for a short while...beside each other..:D

In car scanning radio stations...WTF!! Is Mike Moloney back with Ocean FM? (4:40pm).

If he is, I'll be tuning into his slot if its a regular one.

http://radiotoday.ie/2014/05/mike-moloney-joins-nova-for-classic-gold/

In car scanning radio stations...WTF!! Is Mike Moloney back with Ocean FM? (4:40pm).

If he is, I'll be tuning into his slot if its a regular one.

http://radiotoday.ie/2014/05/mike-moloney-joins-nova-for-classic-gold/
    Heard that too, is he just filling in for someone, hope he is back permanently!

yeah I seen that...I thought putting a request on the older thread would make it a bit more obvious by putting it on page one of threads, and for a short while...beside each other..:D
    Maybe we should say something rude and get the mods attention! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Or you could just use the report function.

;)

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Or you could just use the report function.

;)

Done.
    Mod. Merge threads please.

:D

Looks like you're right Zorro. Oh 4 fcu sakes...that'll do...maybe?

Again, scanning radio in car and caught the Ocean FM ad, that Mike Moloney had an advertised slot...is he back permanent? Or just covering?

I just can't tune in to Ocean anymore.

• Advertisement

Just caught a bit of the ' Afternoon Delight' show. You'll Never Walk Alone is hardly an appropriate song to play, with a show of that name considering today is the Hillsborough Anniversary.

By all means play it to remember them who died, but perhaps on a different show.

Anyhow JFT96.

Advertisement