Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Access Request- HELP

Options
  • 05-02-2015 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi i am new, be kind. Husband needs to get 4 years of bank statements, yes i am stupid, i threw them out. They cost a lot to re order. i know that i can make a request under the Data Access Request Law or whatever. Can anyone tell me how to word the letter correctly so as we can get statements. Need it for PAYE. I know that as they already provided statements it doesn't come under the data protection law but i understand that wording it a certain way will provide the result we need! Can anyone advise please.? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved to Banking forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/2d.htm&CatID=17&m=r

Dear ...
    I wish to make an access request under Section 4 of the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 for a copy of any information you keep about me, on computer or in manual form in relation to....
    (Fill in as much information as possible to assist the organisations to locate the data that you are interested in accessing e.g. customer account number, staff number, or PPS number (if you are writing to a public sector organisation such as the Revenue Commissioners or the Department of Social Protection)).

You should also include any additional details that would help to locate your information - for example, a customer account number or staff number. You may be asked for evidence of your identity. This is to make sure that personal information is not given to the wrong person. When requesting some types of record, such as credit history or Garda records, it may also be useful to provide a list of previous addresses, previous names and your date of birth. You may be asked to pay a fee, but this cannot exceed €6.35.
    Once you have made your request, and paid any appropriate fee, you must be given the information within 40 days (most organisations manage to reply much sooner).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 breffi

Thanks Homer, should i just keep it general?

Thanks for moving me! clueless here!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

breffi wrote: »
    They cost a lot to re order. i know that i can make a request under the Data Access Request Law or whatever.

The DPA can not be used to help you avoid charges for a banking service.

• Advertisement

Thank you Jim 2007, considering my husband and i are paying off the banking debt in this country, i don't think its too much to ask for a few sheets of printed paper at a more reasonable price than €3.80 for first page and €2.50 per page there after which is highly excessive! Again thanks for your useful input.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Hi i am new, be kind. Husband needs to get 4 years of bank statements
    Do you need original statements, or do you just need the information? A DPA request only means that the bank must provide all information that they have. It does not mean they must provide it as official bank statements.

For example, they could provide a spreadsheet listing the transactions on the account, and they will have fulfilled the DPA request, but that's no good to you if you're being audited and the Revenue require original bank statements

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thank you Jim 2007, considering my husband and i are paying off the banking debt in this country, i don't think its too much to ask for a few sheets of printed paper at a more reasonable price than €3.80 for first page and €2.50 per page there after which is highly excessive! Again thanks for your useful input.

Well if you need then in a hurry, you will not waste a week or whatever discovering this. And since you were the one how decided to dispose of your statements, why should the bank have to carry the additional costs of your decision? Actually on second thoughts, they will not, they'll just pass it on to the rest of us in fee increases!

Oh jim!!!

Thank you 28064212. It is for revenue but once it shows a particular transaction should be ok. we will give it a go anyway. Thanks for your input, informative. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement