Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert English poetry help!

Options
  • 05-02-2015 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Could anyone tell me if there is a certain list of prescribed poetry for JC that will be sat in 2016, Im a bit confused by the websites that are supposed to explain it all. Im homeschooling my 14 year old daughter but she does want to sit the JC English exam, so far we have worked a bit on some Heaney and Yeats but she has an interest in Sylvia Plath but I think that shes more of a Leaving Cert poet, any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Could anyone tell me if there is a certain list of prescribed poetry for JC that will be sat in 2016, Im a bit confused by the websites that are supposed to explain it all. Im homeschooling my 14 year old daughter but she does want to sit the JC English exam, so far we have worked a bit on some Heaney and Yeats but she has an interest in Sylvia Plath but I think that shes more of a Leaving Cert poet, any advice would be much appreciated

The Junior Cert. English course has (at present) no prescribed texts, though candidates should study different styles and know basic terms such as alliteration, synonyms, imagery, tone, mood, character development, etc..

If you look at the exams, you will see the themes that often come up, so you should choose a novel/poetry that has an obvious relationship (for example) in it.

The media studies question is fairly straightforward, but she should know technical terms like layout, headline, etc.etc. so as to be able to discuss given pieces.

It's a lovely subject for home-schooling as you are free currently to use any texts you want.

If the new proposed JCSA comes in (from exam 2017), there will be prescribed texts (which IMO is a step backwards).

Advertisement