Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi / Lidl tip

Options
  • 05-02-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,626 ✭✭✭✭

The eBay tip thread gave me the idea to mention this handy tip for Lidl / Aldi shopping trolleys.

If you have no suitable Euro coins with you, a 2p sterling coin works too.

I always keep a couple in the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nice one :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Would it work in both shops? Lidl use 1Eur coins whereas Aldi use 2eur coins.

Mind you, I know 20c coins used to work fine in Lidl trolleys unless that has changed. Just thinking, it's been a while since I did the weekly shop in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

another tip- pack your goods straight back into the trolley/basket when they get checked thru at the till & then after paying pack them into your bags at the shelves at the windows, its what they are there for.. & shortens the queues for everyone :)

In relation to the first tip mentioned here, I found that one out the hard way, I was going up to get a trolley and a young helpful lad gave me the one he was using before he chained it back up to save me the hassle & I gave him my €2 coin, it was only after I did my shop did i realise he had a UK 2p coin stuck in it

Doh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    In relation to the first tip mentioned here, I found that one out the hard way, I was going up to get a trolley and a young helpful lad gave me the one he was using before he chained it back up to save me the hassle & I gave him my €2 coin, it was only after I did my shop did i realise he had a UK 2p coin stuck in it

Doh :pac:
    * sniggers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

NIMAN wrote: »
    The eBay tip thread gave me the idea to mention this handy tip for Lidl / Aldi shopping trolleys.

If you have no suitable Euro coins with you, a 2p sterling coin works too.

I always keep a couple in the car.

And doing it the other way round doesn't the 20 cent coin work in UK trolleys instead of a £1 coin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

byte wrote: »
    Would it work in both shops? Lidl use 1Eur coins whereas Aldi use 2eur coins.

I shopped in LIDL today, the trolleys were €2, and I was able to use a 2p coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I am laughing as I read this I found out about this ages ago but my sis in law never knew it. One day she was in aldi and was going to get her basket with her 2e. This woman came up to her and says take mine i am finished with it.
    My sis in law says grand and away she went and done her shopping it was only when she went to leave the trolly back that she discovered the 2p

God knows how many more this woman caught out the same way
    But I have to say I got a good laugh out of it

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Technique wrote: »
    I shopped in LIDL today, the trolleys were €2, and I was able to use a 2p coin.
    Ah, they must have changed so, as I'm sure they used €1 coins. Also, we have one of those Lidl keyfobs with the magnetic "coin" for trollies, but that doesn't work on Aldi trollies. Though we've an Aldi keyring thing for that.

Also, I was mistaken with the 20c trick. It wasn't Lidl, it was Asda, as a poster later has mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,832 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My local Lidl still uses €1 coins

Ever since the "trolkey" thing that you can remove after opening the lock more and more places are moving to fully enclosed coin apertures as the main reason isn't stopping thefts, its getting people to put the sodding trolleys back - and the trolkey allows you to just dump it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

The trolleys in the newer Lidl in Letterkenny are a bit slutty, they take a lot of different coins. 2p, 10p, €1, €2, plus all the key attached ones you can buy in aldi/lidl/asda/dunnes/tesco.

Sadly, it's remembering to take bags from the car with me that gets me every time, not the trolley :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭EoinAFC

pbarr wrote: »
    And doing it the other way round doesn't the 20 cent coin work in UK trolleys instead of a £1 coin.

yep this works!

Advertisement