Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag List Price 2015

Options
  • 05-02-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Our solicitor has recommended we have the new build we are about to buy inspected before we sign our contracts. It is a 3 bed semi-detached house.

A friend referred us to an architects business who do these inspections/snag lists. I have seen the report generated at the end of the process which seemed very thorough.
    He has quoted us 442€ for a similar report.

Does anyone know if this is the going rate for such a service?
    I would appreciate any help you could give.

Thank you.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Seems fare

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nemesisdg

BryanF wrote: »
    Seems fare

Maybe i'm projecting, but are you being sarcastic. I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

the price is right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Fuel & Misc Costs ~€30
    Site Visit time €120 (3 hours @€;40/hr)
    Prepare Report Time €160 (4 hours @€;40/hr)

Subtotal €310
    Overheads@ 10% €31
    Subtotal: €341

Vat@ 23% €78.43

Total €419

Id say that's how its worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

The days of getting these done for next to nothing are well gone. There were many people churning these out and doing numerous lists everyday through the boom but now its a very one off report so you would have to expect to pay a reasonable fee. €300 plus VAT for any type of report is reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

kkelliher wrote: »
    The days of getting these done for next to nothing are well gone. There were many people churning these out and doing numerous lists everyday through the boom but now its a very one off report so you would have to expect to pay a reasonable fee. €300 plus VAT for any type of report is reasonable.

I've seen some very generic looking reports for €200 and for the money the OP is talking about! id be asking to see ones they have done before as you want a Doc thats useful to ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nemesisdg

cronin_j wrote: »
    I've seen some very generic looking reports for €200 and for the money the OP is talking about! id be asking to see ones they have done before as you want a Doc thats useful to ya.

We have one and he has inserted pictures and feedback he had about cracks, sewage etc. So it seems fine.

I suppose I was just not ready for that amount.

Thanks for the message though.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

You would be lucky to get an architect to fart for less than 400 yoyos !

nemesisdg wrote: »
    Maybe i'm projecting, but are you being sarcastic. I'm not sure.

no/yes/no

bmm wrote: »

i take you're an architect ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

bmm wrote: »

Not part of Schedule of RIAI Scope of Service.
    You need a different part of the internet to cater for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blackrovers

Hello

I'm coming to the end of building work on my property. Got new heating system, insulation, windows, extension etc. I'm looking for someone to do a snag list for us? I made up a preliminary list but now feel that we should get someone in the know to make this list. Is there a website or organisation where I can get someone to do this for me? Also once the list is made, does this person stay until everything on the list is completed or how does it work?! Thanks for all answers in advance.

Hello

I'm coming to the end of building work on my property. Got new heating system, insulation, windows, extension etc. I'm looking for someone to do a snag list for us? I made up a preliminary list but now feel that we should get someone in the know to make this list. Is there a website or organisation where I can get someone to do this for me? Also once the list is made, does this person stay until everything on the list is completed or how does it work?! Thanks for all answers in advance.

An architect will prepare a snag list for you.

May I ask why didn't you have one inspect the construction works?

Who is providing certification for the extension? As no one can retrospectively do this.

Also once the list is made, does this person stay until everything on the list is completed or how does it work?

My experience - It depends on the builder.

Some will co operate and attend to the list no problem. Better builders actually prefer to work with achitects rather than what they term unreasonable unknowing clients.

Other builders will take offence to having an architects "imposed" last miniute and react badly.

Hey Byran F, we insisted in the contract that we got an engineers certficate for the extension work. We were assured that their engineer will be on site twice during this part of the build. So because we did all this through the one company this but us at ease. Now you have placed doubt in my mind!

So in regards to getting an architect to create a snag list, what will they generally charge? I see 300/400 euros is the generally fee is this the case? Also to what extend is the role of the architect in this snag element of the property?!

Finally we made a snag list ourselves but the builder is very slow to deal with some of the issues on the list. Because we've giving a snag list, does this mean an architect can't come along, examine the house and create a new list for the builders?!

the role of the architect in this snag element of the property?!

To prepare the list that is all.
    Because we've giving a snag list, does this mean an architect can't come along, examine the house and create a new list for the builders?!

No absolutely not.

Thanks Strolling Bones for the reply.

So if I get an architect to create a snag list and the builders don't do what's on the snag list what's my next course of action?!

Our is there someone I can get to create a snag list and thus follow the builder till the work is done?!

Cheers for the replies.

So if I get an architect to create a snag list and the builders don't do what's on the snag list what's my next course of action?

It depends. The right architect with the right experience may be able to bear an influence over a delinquent builder. Persuade the builder that it is in his best interest to finish properly. If the project needs that attention it would cost more than €300/400.

But if the builder is an out and out scally in that case you may also require a solicitor.

Hopefully it won't come to that.

So how much more would it cost roughly? Also how is that cost calculated? is it a fixed fee or fee based on meetings or how is the calculation determined? I'd be better off asking the RIAI for a list of registered architects in my area to create the list so and work from there.

Finally you're not an architect yourself strolling bones registered with RIAI, by any chance?!!

An architect would discuss with you.

I would expect the following

€300/400 for list and meeting with builder

€50 / hour thereafter - with you calling "stop" at your discretion. The architect should be able to gauge how much time is required and if honest and with intergity tell you when his services are no longer effective and that you should now get a solicitor. The architect leaving you with a paper trail of snags-meetings-snags not done for the solicitor

I am not an architect registered with RIAI

• Advertisement
Advertisement