Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with simple wiring of a switch to lights on vanity unit

Options
  • 05-02-2015 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My brother is a chippy and he has made a very nice little desk for his missus to do her make-up and slap a few earrings and what have you on.
    It is to have a load of lights around the perimeter of the mirror.

I believe its called a hollywood mirror.

Anyhow, my question is how to wire the thing up from start to finish, i have all the materials necessary and i am attaching pictures for someone to point me in the right direction.

Any and all comments tips hints etc. are much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭paulginger2

Its 3-core wire but as you can see from the swich, there is a place to connect the earth, and 3 other points to attach the wire, 2 on one side, one on the other.
    Which wires go there, and i know you can connect a live and neutral to each of the fixtures, and the earth to the brass body, but do i connect 2 lives, 2 neutrals and 2 earths to each fixture .ie one set to feed that light and the other set to move on to feed the next light??

No takers? I could really use some advice on this, this is the first time i have had no response! Come on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

What materials have you gotten? Cable etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sparkobrien77

At your switch youl need permanent live (brown) that will go into the connection on the switch that says com you also need another brown which is your switch wire to go to your light fitting.that goes into l1 nothing goes into l2 and you won't need an earth at the switch as its plastic

At the light fitting on your vanity unit you will need the switch wire which I hve mentioned above but youl also need a neutral (blue) and (earth) yellow and green.youl have to tap off an existing lighting circuit in the room either off the light or the switch depending what way the house is wired to get your p.live,neutral and earth.if there are multiple lights you simply loop the live neutral and earth to the next light

Thanks for the help, it will be plugged into a socket .i.e a wall socket, the switch is just for handiness in turning it on, does that change anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sparkobrien77

Well if your going to do it that way put a 3 amp fuse in the plug top,ur brown from 3 core will go into com in switch,run another 3 core then to your light put the brown from the second 3 core into L1 and join the two blues (neutral) in a connector at the switch and join the two earths in a connector at the switch then you will have your live neutral and earth feeding your first light bulb on the unit and just loop the three of them to the next bulb and so on,

Thanks very much for the advice, i am very grateful for the help, thanks again, problem sorted

Advertisement