Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOWair to offer transatlantic connections from Dublin (via Keflavik)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Tenger wrote: »
    I know of 2-3 guys who used to have to fly DUB-CPH-KEF to get there, they are very happy with this announcement.

Copenhagen?!

Couldn't they just pop up the road to Belfast International and take the Easyjet flight to Keflavik?

EZY6747 / 6748

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

arubex wrote: »
    Copenhagen?!

Couldn't they just pop up the road to Belfast International and take the Easyjet flight to Keflavik?

EZY6747 / 6748

Or Heathrow for Icelandair?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Prices out of BFS and LHR are high so it was worth it for them to go via CPH apparently. I don't know them too well and they are cage fighters so didn't push for an answer!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭christy c

FWVT wrote: »
    DUB-KEF: 811 NM
    KEF-IAD: 2432 NM
    Total: 3233 NM

DUB-IAD: 2958 NM

Difference: 275 NM (around 45-60 mins extra travel time, taking into account taxiing in and out at KEF).

So up to an hour longer travel time taking the KEF option, not to mention the extra hassle of waiting in an airport, queing up again for boarding, etc. Not worth it imo.

But this is an aviation thread, it's two takeoff/landings for the price of one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

christy c wrote: »
    But this is an aviation thread, it's two takeoff/landings for the price of one ;)

So true! A double opportunity to play the on-approach game of 'spot the old lorry trailer up on blocks'. Usually at the back of a farm, or near a canal

There is one near Bristol airport in a Tesco livery that is so old I didn't recognise it at first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

According to Wikipedia this airline has 3 airframes on a wet lease from another operator. Couldn't see from a quick search it being a member of IATA either but stand to be corrected on that. Bear this in mind when inevitably things go awry on the operational side of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Just got my flights I had booked with WOW air for next October cancelled out of the blue by the airline.
    I thought it was a bit crappy seen as they only announced the service.

346229.JPG

WOW_Cancellation.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Just got my flights I had booked with WOW air for next October cancelled out of the blue by the airline.
    I thought it was a bit crappy seen as they only announced the service.

346229.JPG

WOW_Cancellation.JPG

Which dates, flights are still showing, have you being caught by the winter schedule changes from 25 Octover when it moves from Tu, Th, Su to Mo, Fri?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Which dates, flights are still showing, have you being caught by the winter schedule changes from 25 Octover when it moves from Tu, Th, Su to Mo, Fri?

That is exactly what happened, I was returning on the 25th of October. I would have thought that their systems would account for their own schedule changes and not let people book days they weren't flying!

That is exactly what happened, I was returning on the 25th of October. I would have thought that their systems would account for their own schedule changes and not let people book days they weren't flying!

Airlines won't always necessarily have finalised timetables for the following period more than six months in advance - they will have an idea of frequencies and days of operation etc., but the schedules can always change.

For future reference winter and summer timetables for most airlines change on the weekend that the European clocks change, which is always the last full weekend in March or October. Worth bearing in mind when making bookings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

There's no free lunches as this includes wow. This service will collapse on its face with service given to punters like above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

duskyjoe wrote:
    There's no free lunches as this includes wow. This service will collapse on its face with service given to punters like above

Unless you want to drive up to Belfast or connect in the UK, there is no viable alternative for flights to Iceland.
    If you are connecting, don't forget that NAX's LGW - LAX service has no free meal, but is still popular iirc.

duskyjoe wrote: »

Right - that's quite a conclusion to draw, given that there have been numerous incidents of the likes of Ryanair, Aer Lingus, British Airways, etc. advising passengers of schedule changes once their schedules are finalised.

This is not exactly uncommon. In fact I don't of any airline that doesn't have this issue.

Airlines will sell seats for flights based on an advance planned frequency, but, that can and does change for all of them once they finally settle on the overall schedule that they plan to operate for that season.

To suggest that a route will fail because of this is really adding two and two together to make five.

duskyjoe wrote: »

One of my flights next month with Aer Lingus has changed 7-8 times since I booked it late last year.

It's obviously annoyed you which is understandable, but it won't collapse, Aer Lingus and Iceland Air had up till last week been soon flights there so there is a market and WOW will/should capture it and encourage growth on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

lxflyer wrote: »
    Right - that's quite a conclusion to draw, given that there have been numerous incidents of the likes of Ryanair, Aer Lingus, British Airways, etc. advising passengers of schedule changes once their schedules are finalised.

This is not exactly uncommon. In fact I don't of any airline that doesn't have this issue.

Airlines will sell seats for flights based on an advance planned frequency, but, that can and does change for all of them once they finally settle on the overall schedule that they plan to operate for that season.

To suggest that a route will fail because of this is really adding two and two together to make five.

Apologies, I thought pax was coming from USA and the stopover at KEF to DUB was cancelled.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I guess the fact that they cancelled my flight, they seem to have no backup planes for cover and there are multiple bad reviews about them on Trip Advisor and other websites I have decided to get a refund and connect through London Gatwick with EasyJet.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5568679-WOW_airlines-Air_Travel.html

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I guess the fact that they cancelled my flight, they seem to have no backup planes for cover and there are multiple bad reviews about them on Trip Advisor and other websites I have decided to get a refund and connect through London Gatwick with EasyJet.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5568679-WOW_airlines-Air_Travel.html

I think you're perhaps over-reacting.

The cancellation has been explained to you as the seasonal schedule change - that is not an uncommon experience. The change of days of operation is probably the reason it was cancelled rather than rescheduled.

As for backup aircraft cover, most airlines these days don't have aircraft sitting around as cover - they end up hiring in a replacement.

So I'm not sure why that should be a particular reason to cancel your booking.

Also, reading trip advisor has to have a serious health warning - people will always complain faster than they write a compliment.

I think you're perhaps over-reacting.

The cancellation has been explained to you as the seasonal schedule change - that is not an uncommon experience. The change of days of operation is probably the reason it was cancelled rather than rescheduled.

As for backup aircraft cover, most airlines these days don't have aircraft sitting around as cover - they end up hiring in a replacement.

So I'm not sure why that should be a particular reason to cancel your booking.

Also, reading trip advisor has to have a serious health warning - people will always complain faster than they write a compliment.

A person can be told until their blue in the face about this stuff but if you have a bad experience with an airline it turns you off.

I have never had a flight cancelled due to a screw up by the airline before. I've had flights delayed sure, i've even had flights cancelled due to strikes by cabin crew but all in all it's bad form that the airlines website allows you to book flights in advance before they've settled on a schedule. I have no proof either way whether or not this would happen with the likes of Aer Lingus or Ryanair. The fact is it has happened to me with WOW.

A person can be told until their blue in the face about this stuff but if you have a bad experience with an airline it turns you off.

I have never had a flight cancelled due to a screw up by the airline before. I've had flights delayed sure, i've even had flights cancelled due to strikes by cabin crew but all in all it's bad form that the airlines website allows you to book flights in advance before they've settled on a schedule. I have no proof either way whether or not this would happen with the likes of Aer Lingus or Ryanair. The fact is it has happened to me with WOW.

Well all I can tell you is that every airline does it - I've had rescheduled flights with all of Aer Lingus, BA, Swiss, Thai for example due to the seasonal schedule changes.

It's not a "screw-up" per se. Airlines plan roughly what their schedules are going to be and sell them accordingly. However, the final schedules are usually only settled on about six months in advance - for many flights that might just mean a rescheduled time, but for routes that aren't served daily, that can involve a change of day. If airlines were not allowed sell flights until schedules were completely finalised, then they would only go on sale 6 months in advance, rather than the almost one year in advance that we currently have.

Changing flight times when schedules are finalised is not uncommon, and while a change of day on a route is an unfortunate change, it does happen.

The problem, as was explained above, is your trip straddled two timetable periods - as I posted above timetables change on the Sunday morning of the last full weekend in October and March (the clock change weekends). It might be worth bearing that in mind in future when booking trips in advance.

As I say, I really do think you're over-reacting. But that's your decision to be honest. But to suggest that this is specific to WOW is really pushing things too far.

Well all I can tell you is that every airline does it - I've had rescheduled flights with all of Aer Lingus, BA, Swiss, Thai for example due to the seasonal schedule changes.

It's not a "screw-up" per se. Airlines plan roughly what their schedules are going to be and sell them accordingly. However, the final schedules are usually only settled on about six months in advance - for many flights that might just mean a rescheduled time, but for routes that aren't served daily, that can involve a change of day. If airlines were not allowed sell flights until schedules were completely finalised, then they would only go on sale 6 months in advance, rather than the almost one year in advance that we currently have.

Changing flight times when schedules are finalised is not uncommon, and while a change of day on a route is an unfortunate change, it does happen.

The problem, as was explained above, is your trip straddled two timetable periods - as I posted above timetables change on the Sunday morning of the last full weekend in October and March (the clock change weekends). It might be worth bearing that in mind in future when booking trips in advance.

As I say, I really do think you're over-reacting. But that's your decision to be honest. But to suggest that this is specific to WOW is really pushing things too far.

Most of your response is informative, I have to take issue with the last paragraph though. Where did I suggest it was specific to WOW?

• Advertisement

Most of your response is informative, I have to take issue with the last paragraph though. Where did I suggest it was specific to WOW?

Well you certainly did suggest it (in my opinion) with this statement.
    I have no proof either way whether or not this would happen with the likes of Aer Lingus or Ryanair. The fact is it has happened to me with WOW.

This despite the fact that some posts above confirm that this does happen across the board.

But I'll accept that you weren't.

But being honest, I could understand your decision if you had said that you did it because the change of day of operation did not suit you, which would be entirely legitimate, but the reasons you give really are (to me) an over-reaction.

- Schedules can and do change
    - Most small/medium sized airlines don't have backup aircraft sitting around, but rather hire in
    - I'd certainly use Trip Advisor with a degree of scepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I have no proof either way whether or not this would happen with the likes of Aer Lingus or Ryanair. The fact is it has happened to me with WOW.

Happened to my sister on Ryanair 2 months ago, had to rebook hotels and all.

Well you certainly did suggest it (in my opinion) with this statement.

This despite the fact that some posts above confirm that this does happen across the board.

But I'll accept that you weren't.

But being honest, I could understand your decision if you had said that you did it because the change of day of operation did not suit you, which would be entirely legitimate, but the reasons you give really are (to me) an over-reaction.

- Schedules can and do change
    - Most small/medium sized airlines don't have backup aircraft sitting around, but rather hire in
    - I'd certainly use Trip Advisor with a degree of scepticism.

I decided to sit on it for a while as you had some good points and I was annoyed lxflyer but they're not making it easy to have any trust in them.

On the day the notice came to my email they allowed me to fill out a form to get them to contact me, that was on the 22nd of April, it's now the 27th of April:

346763.JPG

Being proactive I decided to give their Irish call center number a ring, I was on the phone for over 10 minutes and eventually gave up with no sign of me getting through:

346764.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

So what are these guys like? Looking to save a bit of money and thinking of getting a wowair flight home from San fran instead of Aerlingus (about 400 more).
    Should I steer clear?

Advertisement