Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season plots for touring caravan

Options
  • 05-02-2015 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I bought a caravan last year with the intention of renting a spot for the whole summer. As a way of having a place to go away to for weekend cheaply and with the flexibility of choosing a different spot if year if I wanted. It is also partly because I live in an apartment in Dublin so storing a caravan or campervan where I live is not an option. So the idea was put it in storage over winter, leave it on a site over summer.

Problem is there seems to be very few sites that offer season plots. I've looked mostly just online and sent emails to various places. Last summer stayed in Dunmore East which was good, but didn't really tick all the boxes and looking for somewhere preferably west coast for this summer.

1. Not too difficult to get to from Dublin, ideally an option to get there via public transport train/bus for weekends I don't feel like spending 8 hours driving
    2. Ideally beside a beach, easy walking distance, preferably one you can surf on, although I realise this is a big ask. Somewhere inland is not likely to be of interest, but you never know

Any suggestions? How do I find the perfect spot for me? I suspect there are smaller campsites that don't have much in the way of internet pages, are there directories with these, does joining one of the clubs get you these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

cob1 wrote: »
    I bought a caravan last year with the intention of renting a spot for the whole summer. As a way of having a place to go away to for weekend cheaply and with the flexibility of choosing a different spot if year if I wanted. It is also partly because I live in an apartment in Dublin so storing a caravan or campervan where I live is not an option. So the idea was put it in storage over winter, leave it on a site over summer.

Problem is there seems to be very few sites that offer season plots. I've looked mostly just online and sent emails to various places. Last summer stayed in Dunmore East which was good, but didn't really tick all the boxes and looking for somewhere preferably west coast for this summer.

1. Not too difficult to get to from Dublin, ideally an option to get there via public transport train/bus for weekends I don't feel like spending 8 hours driving
    2. Ideally beside a beach, easy walking distance, preferably one you can surf on, although I realise this is a big ask. Somewhere inland is not likely to be of interest, but you never know

Any suggestions? How do I find the perfect spot for me? I suspect there are smaller campsites that don't have much in the way of internet pages, are there directories with these, does joining one of the clubs get you these?

Hi..
    Here's three that I visited last year that definitely had caravans all year, the latter looked to have caravans that had been on site for years without moving...

Sandilands - Just north of Newry
    http://www.chestnuttholidayparks.com/pages/index.asp?title=Holiday_Parks_Co_Down_Northern_Ireland_Sandilands_Holiday_Park_Irish_Sea_Five_Star_Sales_Touring_Camping

Greenlands - Rosses Point Sligo
    http://www.greenlandscaravanpark.com

MorrisCastle - Kilmucridge Wexfore (my least favourite)
    http://www.morriscastlestrand.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Rosses Point or Achill Island could be options. I think having a car with you is fairly essential though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Haven't been there for a couple of years, but (as already mentioned) Morriscastle used to do it. It used to be that the average monthly fee went down the longer you were keeping it on the site.

The galway site nearest the road I think does seasonal pitches too. Again its a couple of years since I was there, but they did at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

There is a park in Launch that should tick all your boxes. I think it's called Ocean View. It's a short walk out of town with a regular bus service from Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

db wrote: »
    There is a park in Launch that should tick all your boxes. I think it's called Ocean View. It's a short walk out of town with a regular bus service from Limerick.

If you're relying on public transport,
    Last bus from limerick on a friday is 17:16 arriving 19:10 so you'd have to be leaving Dublin on the bus at 13:40 to be comfortable which means over five hours on the bus and at least a half day off work.

Fanore would probably be a lot cheaper to keep the caravan leaving dublin at 15:01 journey is 4 and a half hours via galway. Fanore also not full of scumbags and dayglow mini skirted muffin tops during the summer but it might be a bit quiet for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cob1

some great suggestions there, thanks a lot.

The one in Fanore I've seen before now that you mention it. This is the type of place I mean, small enough that they don't have a website and I wouldn't have known about it until you reminded me. Do you know any contact details for them?

Any others keep them coming, but there's some to work with there.

An ideal one for me that ticks every box is the campsite in Strandhill, but from what I know they are full, Rosses point is nice too, better surf in Strandhill but can't have everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Try Sea Spray in Rossnowlagh. If it's to your liking, I have a number somewhere for the contact guy.

loads of kids there, so if it's peace and quiet your after......

Stayed a few nights at St Margarets beach campsite in Wexford. The people beside us were set up for the summer. It would be reasonably handy for public transport.

Rossnowlagh is a great suggestion, would have considered it to be too far, but actually only 3 hours from Dublin according to google

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You would need to be tramping on to do it in 3 hours. Depends where in du in you measure from. From Blanchardstown probably doable. It's almost an hour from Cavan to enniskillen, and an hour from there to Rossnowlagh. The Sand House has improved by an incredible amount in the last few years, nice bar and a few nice restaurants nearby, so beers are within walking distance. .....surfing all round the coast thereabouts though.

thanks, if you find the contact details for Sea Spray that would be great, and if anyone knows how to contact the park in Fanore, theres nothing I can find about it online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

thanks, if you find the contact details for Sea Spray that would be great, and if anyone knows how to contact the park in Fanore, theres nothing I can find about it online

If you are thinking about Fanore, I would recommend having a car with you as it is fairly isolated. The site itself is a bit all over the place as its in the dunes. The beach is good for surfing, not a great beach otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

thanks, if anyone knows how to contact the park in Fanore, theres nothing I can find about it online

Here you go

http://www.fanore-info.com/Other2.html

Advertisement