Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP Recommendation Cork City

Options
  • 05-02-2015 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I'm looking to move my GP and am wondering if you have any recommendations. I would like one either city centre or south side towards Turner's Cross, Ballyphehane, The Lough, Togher. My current GP's office is extremely busy, so much so that it's getting impossible to book an appointment. They're also charging for prescriptions.

I need a decent doctor who will follow up and see things through. Female preferably for obvious reasons, but not a problem if they're male and understanding.

Fiona

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is getting really hard to find a good GP... My ones always used to charge for perscriptions it used to bug the crap out of me.. Just for the pill lets say...

I haven't gone to them myself but plan too the Blackrock place is suppose to be very good. My nan goes to them and in fairness they seem very nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I use Cork City Medical Centre which i find great. I'm pretty sure all the doctors there are female, they tend to cater themselves more as a female health centre anyway.

They've a reduced fee for getting a prescription refilled too, very handy :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

FionaBeag wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to move my GP and am wondering if you have any recommendations. I would like one either city centre or south side towards Turner's Cross, Ballyphehane, The Lough, Togher. My current GP's office is extremely busy, so much so that it's getting impossible to book an appointment. They're also charging for prescriptions.

I need a decent doctor who will follow up and see things through. Female preferably for obvious reasons, but not a problem if they're male and understanding.

Fiona

The Park Family Practice

Dr. Patrick V Ryan, Dr. Fionnuala Murphy, Dr. Joseph Mc Aulliffe, Nurse Peggy Pearson.

Address:
    Lower Friars Walk
    Cork

Tel: 021 4323844

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Léan wrote: »
    I use Cork City Medical Centre which i find great. I'm pretty sure all the doctors there are female, they tend to cater themselves more as a female health centre anyway.

They've a reduced fee for getting a prescription refilled too, very handy :pac:.

I second this one, I went through a spate of awful gps (some I came out so frustrated and angry at being talked down to that I was actually crying with rage, some just completely misdiagnosed!), and then I found this place - absolutely fantastic. Dr Susan McLaughlin is brilliant, she'll literally turn you upside down until she figures out whats wrong with you and is absolutely lovely to boot. My only downside is that its up two flights of stairs so isn't the easiest when you're hauling a buggy around the city, but for medical reasons, absolutely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Work in a pharmacy, and I've only ever heard fantastic things about Dr Susan McLaughlin, comes highly recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Killeen Medical Centre is good, its very near the credit union and church in Ballyphehane. Its very busy though, so getting an appointment isn't always easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cate3may

Work in a pharmacy, and I've only ever heard fantastic things about Dr Susan McLaughlin, comes highly recommended!

Have to also chip in here and say she's great, definitely recommend for women's health. Charges a reduced fee when returning for the same issue within short period of time, really thorough and doesn't make you feel like you are being dramatic like some doctors when it comes to women's issues.

REcently had another female doctor in there as Dr McLaughlin was out and she was equally thorough and professional, very easy to talk to.

Pretty good on appointment times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Another plus one for the Cork City Medical Centre and Susan McLaughlin from me. Nice and convenient and in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigdaddy2010

My wife attends Dr Aileen scullion (next to marks and Spencer). A joy to attend and a very understanding lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have also used 2 doctors in here! They are both lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Milly33 wrote: »
    It is getting really hard to find a good GP... My ones always used to charge for perscriptions it used to bug the crap out of me.. Just for the pill lets say...

I haven't gone to them myself but plan too the Blackrock place is suppose to be very good. My nan goes to them and in fairness they seem very nice...

Would you expect prescriptions for free? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭emmettu2

Any other recommendations? They all seem to be full up these days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

https://www.washingtonstreetmedical.com/

Dr Louise Nestor specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Maybe try Glasheen Medical Centre - Dr Brad Noel. Very good, not afraid to get out the blade and stitches and do small procedures himself either, instead of referring you to an OPD like many GPs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

My doc is Der Moloney, Patrick St.
    Male, but he has been my GP for years and he is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭emmettu2

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    My doc is Der Moloney, Patrick St.
    Male, but he has been my GP for years and he is really good.

Very pleasant man.
    But I couldn't recommend him as a GP.
    I found him disinterested and not very progressive. I won't use him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Could try grand parade medical practice. Opened in last 2 years next to life style sports. Might be taking on people. Dr faul and Dr scullion.

Advertisement