Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should I save for college?

Options
  • 05-02-2015 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I took a year out in September and got a full time job at the start of this year. Minimum wage and about 31 hours a week. I have applied through the CAO and will go to college in NUIG in September. I expect to get the full grant but that isn't paid until October and I should probably factor in a delay. How much money should I save for college to cover accomodation and living expenses until I can rely a bit more on the grant? Any advice appreiated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I took a year out in September and got a full time job at the start of this year. Minimum wage and about 31 hours a week. I have applied through the CAO and will go to college in NUIG in September. I expect to get the full grant but that isn't paid until October and I should probably factor in a delay. How much money should I save for college to cover accomodation and living expenses until I can rely a bit more on the grant? Any advice appreiated.

You would probably get a better answer in the NUIG thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

Estimated costs for living away from home are €10,000 to €12,000 per academic year and €6000 living at home.

There was an article in the Irish Times recently but I cant find it.

http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/schthird.htm

http://www.icosirl.ie/eng/student_information/cost_of_living

Factor in a long delay in receiving your first grant instalment, just in case.

Advertisement