Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duathlon training books/plans/online-resources

Options
  • 05-02-2015 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Coming from a running background and find I train best if I have a good detailed plan to follow. Followed plans in Pete Pfitzinger's "Advanced Marathoning" and "Faster road racing" books last year for great results, sub 3 marathon and sub 18 5K.

Anyone recommend books or online resources for duathlon training or even a trainerroad plan for the bike piece?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Good luck with finding anything worthwhile!

Very little available online other than www.duathlon.com which isn't exactly mind blowing and expensive too. You might get something from his podcasts but nothing too exciting either.

I read on ST that Trainerroad have a duathlon bike plan coming out sometime soon but still a few weeks away yet. There is a Sufferfest brick session called Chrysalis which you can have a look at too. It will work fine without the video, just maximise the screen instead of the video viewer.

If you come up with anything better, let me know.

http://www.legendsoftriathlon.com/home/2013/10/21/legends-of-triathlon-23-kenny-souza.html

Worth a listen if you're interested in Duathlons.

Fashion advice? Not so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

pointer28 wrote: »

I read on ST

Sorry, what is ST short for?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

viperlogic wrote: »
    Sorry, what is ST short for?

SlowTwitch

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EricS

Pointer, thanks for mentioning my website and podcast.

Other than replacing the host:), what would you like to see in my Duathlon Insider Podcast that would make it a must listen for you?

Right now it's mostly geared around training info and race experiences, along with a little bit of news.

I put a lot of work into creating quality duathlon training plans at Duathlon.com and and many people have had excellent results using them.
    Cheers

• Advertisement

EricS wrote: »
    Pointer, thanks for mentioning my website and podcast.

Other than replacing the host:), what would you like to see in my Duathlon Insider Podcast that would make it a must listen for you?

Right now it's mostly geared around training info and race experiences, along with a little bit of news.

I put a lot of work into creating quality duathlon training plans at Duathlon.com and and many people have had excellent results using them.
    Cheers

Hi EricS,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

While I was being somewhat critical, I should probably also point out that I appreciate the fact that you're making the effort to do something for duathon fans, and also that I don't think you're job is easy or that I would do a better one.

What I am really impressed by is the fact that you have come on here and asked directly what you can do to improve the show. That shows a real interest in what you are doing. A lot of podcasts nowadays are just a 60 min billboard, and while I don't begrudge anyone making a few bucks, some are just cringeworthy at this stage.

I have listened to all of your Duathlon Insider podcasts and I suppose my biggest criticism is that they're a bit samey. While sticking to your core of training, race experiences and news, how about adding on a small extra section each month? Maybe an interview with a big name one month, a short history of a famous race, workout of the month, guest presenter to discuss various issues. Oh, and consistency, while I appreciate you had a new baby recently, I'd love a regular monthly show. I was afraid you'd quit for a while until your latest show came out.

I'll admit that I was wrong to criticise your training plans considering I have never used one. I suppose like most of us, I was hoping to find something for free and came across your site and plans. As before, you're a coach, it's your business and you're entitled to make a living out of your work. Maybe I should try one and reserve judgement until then!

To be honest, it's frustrating to be a duathlete, as there is really nothing out there for us, no books, very few websites or other online info. It's mostly treated as just a training session for triathletes. We're the odd cousin in the corner whereas I think that a lot of folks entering IM's and HIM's would be far better doing Zofingen or another long duathlon where they're less likely to drown. TBH, I think a lot of them are delighted when the swim gets cancelled or shortened.

In my mind Zofingen is every bit the challenge of an IM and maybe even moreso, but the Powerman brand just doesn't have the appeal of Ironman.

Maybe there's an idea for a show? Why isn't Duathon more popular and what can be done to sex it up?

I don't mind the criticism at all, and I'm grateful that you've listened to all of them. I agree with many of your points.

I don't like it when a podcast isn't consistent. I committed to a minimum of 12 this year, so I'll just make sure there is at least one podcast each month.

You gave me an excellent idea for a segment to include in each show that I'll think you'll like, and I'll see if I can pull it off.

You probably heard me say this in the show, but if not, I also produce the Triathlete Training Podcast every two weeks, and that includes a lot of great training info directly applicable to duathletes. That's also available in iTunes or a podcast app.

If you're interested in trying one of the plans, send a message to me through the Duathlon.com Facebook page or to duathlon at hot mail and I'll give you a big discount.

If you were to pick an interview with any duathlete, who would you choose?

Cheers,
    Eric

Hi Eric,

Yes, I'm aware of your Triathlon Training podcast but haven't actually listened to it, I'll download one today and give it a shot. Is there any particular episode you would recommend knowing my interests?

The only reason I haven't already is that I already listen to lots of Tri related stuff even though I don't do Triathlons and your Duathlon podcast is a welcome change, I also listen to Ultra Running stuff for the same reason.

Thanks for the kind offer with the training plans, I'll get back to you shortly as I haven't got a goal race in mind at the moment, nothing long distance in Ireland, travelling is expensive and I'm moving home shortly.

My biggest problem would be to name more than a handful of Duathletes! Kenny Souza is the first and most obvious one that comes to mind followed by Emma Pooley. But, to be fair, some of the best interviews I have heard in the past have been with relatively or even completely unknown names, maybe you could educate us in this regard?

Also, there is more to the sport than just the athletes. How about the race director of a big race? Technical officials, maybe someone in the bike or run industry? www.legendsoftriathlon.com would be an example, not perfect in any sense but a nice history lesson once in a while.

Some of the more popular Training Podcasts that apply to duathletes:

Episode 50 with Hunter Allen on cycling
    Episode 46 with Pete Pfitzinger on running
    Episode 44 on running cadence and barefoot running
    Episode 29 on aerodynamics

You've made some good suggestions for future episodes of the Duathlon Insider Podcast. I'll get Souza on the show at some point.
    Cheers,
    Eric

Eric, any suggestions on type of plan/sessions for 6 1/2 weeks out from goal race (7K-26K-4K) on 29th March? My current fitness level is 5K in 17:43. Please feel free to message me privately if needed. Thx

• Advertisement

Your running fitness is excellent

Things to work:
    1 - before race day calculate how fast you want to run that first run, then stick to that pace exactly over the 7k. Don't start faster than goal pace.

2 - I'm not sure if this is your first duathlon, but either way make sure you're ready to run off the bike. I normally recommend one brick/week.
    One of my favorite bricks is this (or variations)
    warmup, then 1X15 minutes at race pace followed by 1 mile or 2k fast, 5 minute recovery and repeat.
    Farther away from race day this could be done at a little slower effort (zone 4 or lactate threshold pace).
    A variation of this would have you do the run before the bike. Practice good transitions.

3 - If you've done very few duathlons 2-4 weeks before race do this exact distance as a workout at faster effort or with intervals included.

4 - If cycling is your weakness, over the next 4 weeks include zone 4 intervals at durations of 6-20 minutes at a time (total duration 30-45 minutes) with rest = to 1/4 of your interval time.
    If you're not familiar with zone 4 look up Joe Friel HR zone testing (usually a 30 minute test). If you don't use a heart rate monitor of power meter you still get an estimate of the effort required by reading about the zones.
    I have articles that discuss this but this forum won't let me post the links.

5. In the final 6 weeks you should also be including some fast bike and run intervals (1-3 minutes) with more rest.

6. You won't gain fitness in the final week, so back off your volume and intensity.

I hope that helps.

Many thanks Eric

Did my first brick session last night, wasn't as bad as I taught it would be thou looking back at it, should of pushed harder...
    - 5min warm up
    - 10min @ ~35Kph - HR at 76% of max
    - 2K run @3:49 min/k pace - HR at 88% of max
    - 2min rest
    - 10min @ ~34Kph - HR at 78% of max
    - 2K run @3:47 min/k pace - HR at 88% of max
    - warm down

Episode 9 of the Duathlon Insider Podcast is now out and it includes an interview with Kenny Souza about Powerman Zofingen 1992.

You can find that podcast in iTunes or on your podcast app.

Thanks EricS,

Will download it and give it a listen.

Advertisement