Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus Estate 1.6 LX, 2003 petrol MPG?

Options
  • 05-02-2015 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi!

Does anyone know the fuel economy of this car? I am thinking of buying one but I am afraid its hard on petrol.
    Anyone knows, has experience with this model? I would be using it for back road driving, ca 300-700 km a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

A lot depends on how you drive, how well serviced it is, how loaded up it is etc but on the whole it wouldn't be an excessively thirsty car.

What are you coming from as a comparison?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Buy a Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ladyinacar

A lot depends on how you drive, how well serviced it is, how loaded up it is etc but on the whole it wouldn't be an excessively thirsty car.

I drove Hyundai Matrix 1.5 Diesel car but it packed up expectantly so I dont have time to go and see cars weeks and weeks but have to sort myself within a week on the side of working (driving around) from 9-6.
    At the moment Im just not willing to spend more than 3000 for a car. The Ford mentioned comes with 2800 euros and 70000 miles.

I drove Hyundai Matrix 1.5 Diesel car but it packed up expectantly so I dont have time to go and see cars weeks and weeks but have to sort myself within a week on the side of working (driving around) from 9-6.
    At the moment Im just not willing to spend more than 3000 for a car. The Ford mentioned comes with 2800 euros and 70000 miles.

I wanted to get Ford Focus 1.4 which would have more fit my size needs (the lx is more than i need) but the cheaper range sells so fast that I couldnt get my hands on them and now I have run out of time.

It will be a little heavier on juice compared to the hyundai, petrol is more expensive at the pumps too.

If you were doing 700km per week most weeks I'd buy a diesel, if it was only the odd time I'd take the focus or similar.

You're better off with a 1.6 focus - there isn't an economy penalty with the larger engine.

• Advertisement

Does it have to be an estate?

The 1.4 petrol is quite dead and not that great on mpg.

The 1.8 diesel is a very reliable engine that can be in the Focus.
    Which county are you?

Here is an example

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-1-8-tddi-2004-new-nct/8543043?offset=17

This is might fit your requirements with Tax until April 15 for 1995 euro

1.8 tdci Focus

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-long-nct-and-tax/8576570?sv=1

Thx. Im in county Cork.

Thx. Im in county Cork. NO, it doesn´'t have to be an estate really. I was checking - the size of ford focus 1.4 with the back seats folded would do me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It will be a little heavier on juice compared to the hyundai, petrol is more expensive at the pumps too.

If you were doing 700km per week most weeks I'd buy a diesel, if it was only the odd time I'd take the focus or similar.

You're better off with a 1.6 focus - there isn't an economy penalty with the larger engine.
    Having owned a 1.4 and a 1.6 focus I'd have to disagree with this.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Having owned a 1.4 and a 1.6 focus I'd have to disagree with this.

Went from a 1.6 Focus to a 1.4 myself and it wasn't either more expensive or cheaper to run at all for me. No noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, with that sort of weekly mileage you have justification for a diesel. You should look at something like this:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-combi/8536099?offset=13

If you don't want to be paying high tax, maybe consider a 1.4 HDI Diesel PEUGEOT 206 SW Estate

The 1.4 HDI is far more reliable than the 1.6 HDI

Like this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-estate-car/8348248?offset=4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Went from a 1.6 Focus to a 1.4 myself and it wasn't either more expensive or cheaper to run at all for me. No noticeable difference.
    I was putting petrol in the 1.6 a lot more than I was putting it in the 1.4 doing the same driving. There was no problem with the car either so it wasn't that. Tax was around €130 more on the 1.6 and surprisingly the 1.6 was around €150 more to insure.

The 1.4 is grand for a-b driving. It's has noticeably less power than the 1.6 but you only really notice it when you step out of one and into the other.

I'd aim for a hatchback over a saloon, they are a nicer car, and pre facelift if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Does it have to be an estate?

The 1.4 petrol is quite dead and not that great on mpg.

The 1.8 diesel is a very reliable engine that can be in the Focus.
    Which county are you?

Here is an example

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-focus-1-8-tddi-2004-new-nct/8543043?offset=17

Not true, i have a 2003 Focus, i've been keeping fuel logs for a year now and the average for the year is 41.23mpg which for it's age is pretty amazing, granted i keep it in god nick and give it a yearly service

My daily commute is Trim to Dublin City Centre so bit of motorway driving, bit of city driving

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not true, i have a 2003 Focus, i've been keeping fuel logs for a year now and the average for the year is 41.23mpg which for it's age is pretty amazing, granted i keep it in god nick and give it a yearly service

My daily commute is Trim to Dublin City Centre so bit of motorway driving, bit of city driving

41.23MPG???

How sure are you that this is accurate?

Because the official Ford MPG combined is 42MPG and that was when it was brand New and most Official Car MPG figures afe unrealistic given tbey are tested on a rollong road with no wind resistance!

Here is a link

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/ford/focus/hatchback-1998/22250/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

We've an 04 1.6 petrol c-Max (pretty much the same as focus) and are getting around 40 mpg out of it - and that's mainly short runs - I'll have to get better at recording it's mileage per tank ---

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement