Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't install Bitdefender antivirus software

Options
  • 05-02-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, my Bullguard subscription just ran out and was too expensive to renew.

So I uninstalled Bullguard and tried to install this after buying it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BitDefender-Internet-Security-2015-1-YEAR-1-PC-HOT-SALE-/221654904795?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:3160

After running the installation file, a message appears saying "Bitdefender cannot automatically uninstall Kaspersky. We recommend that you manually uninstall this program and run Bitdefender installation again."

I've never had Kaspersky on this PC, and Bullguard is definitely gone afaik.

So I went to Bitdefender website and tried to install this...

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

After attempting installation, I get this message...
    "The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel."

I realise that a product that cheap may be a scam of some sort, but problems from the Bitdefender website too makes me think I overlooked something.

Any idea on what I should do next? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

AVG/AVira/aVAST/mse

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Hi Ceekay, what version of Windows do you have?

If anything from xp to Windows 7, I would suggest Microsoft security essentials, can be downloaded for free from ninite.com.

If you have Windows 8.1, just use the built in defender tool.

Also, try looking for the two antivirus programs in control panel > programs and features, or add/remove programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    AVG/AVira/aVAST/mse

Do you mean to just try another antivirus software?

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Do you mean to just try another antivirus software?

They're all free. So is Malwarebytes, but |IIRC that won't work as an on-demand scanner for an individual file that's being downloaded. Otherwise great.

Make sure you keep any AV updated. Use only one at a time.

micknail wrote: »
    Hi Ceekay, what version of Windows do you have?

If anything from xp to Windows 7, I would suggest Microsoft security essentials, can be downloaded for free from ninite.com.

If you have Windows 8.1, just use the built in defender tool.

Also, try looking for the two antivirus programs in control panel > programs and features, or add/remove programs.

I'm using windows 7.

I have uninstalled Bullguard using control panel>programs>uninstall a program. It seems to be completely gone.

• Advertisement

|IIRC that won't work as an on-demand scanner for an individual file that's being downloaded.

WTF.....:eek:

Sorry bonzo, I've no idea what this means. :o

WTF.....:eek:

Sorry bonzo, I've no idea what this means. :o

I mean: the others I listed will, I think, intercept and scan any file being downloaded from the net, rather than just scanning the whole disk, or parts of it, depending on your settings, on a schedule. I don't think Malwarebytes does this, although it is highly respected generally.

Hope this makes it clearer!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

I'm using windows 7.

I have uninstalled Bullguard using control panel>programs>uninstall a program. It seems to be completely gone.

Great, I would suggest doing a restart and then getting mse as stated above. It has served me fine for 3/4 years and is very much user friendly and unobtrusive.

Also agree that an anti-virus is only useful if you keep it updated, and run a scheduled scan at least once a week. These are easy to set on Mse.

Best of luck.

I mean: the others I listed will, I think, intercept and scan any file being downloaded from the net, rather than just scanning the whole disk, or parts of it, depending on your settings, on a schedule. I don't think Malwarebytes does this, although it is highly respected generally.

Hope this makes it clearer!

Sure does. Thanks!

micknail wrote: »
    Great, I would suggest doing a restart and then getting mse as stated above. It has served me fine for 3/4 years and is very much user friendly and unobtrusive.

Also agree that an anti-virus is only useful if you keep it updated, and run a scheduled scan at least once a week. These are easy to set on Mse.

Best of luck.

Thanks Mick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Hi, my Bullguard subscription just ran out and was too expensive to renew.

So I uninstalled Bullguard and tried to install this after buying it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BitDefender-Internet-Security-2015-1-YEAR-1-PC-HOT-SALE-/221654904795?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:3160

After running the installation file, a message appears saying "Bitdefender cannot automatically uninstall Kaspersky. We recommend that you manually uninstall this program and run Bitdefender installation again."

I've never had Kaspersky on this PC, and Bullguard is definitely gone afaik.

So I went to Bitdefender website and tried to install this...

http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

After attempting installation, I get this message...
    "The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel."

I realise that a product that cheap may be a scam of some sort, but problems from the Bitdefender website too makes me think I overlooked something.

Any idea on what I should do next? :confused:

Did you check in Add/Remove programs for a listing of Kaspersky or any other antivirus software like the ones that usually come automatically bundled with laptops (Norton , McAfee, Eset, Kaspersky etc.)

If you find any of them, uninstall them and then Google and download the "Removal tool" for them (e.g. Mcafee removal tool ) and then run it, for whatever old antivirus/s that was on the system...

Here, is a list of other AV uninstallers...

If you've paid for a subscription for an antivirus already (And its Legit), you'd might as well persevere and try to get it installed...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The key to antivirus software these days in my view is:

1) Dont pay for it
    2) Make sure you dont have two or more running!

My current setup is Avast Free Antivirus along with Malwarebytes Free. Do a scan once a month with Malwarebytes and your system should be secure.

Advertisement