Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior cert english help please? (mock tomorrow)

Options
  • 05-02-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hi i have one or two questions regarding the english paper,

we have a good english teacher(shes known to be the best in the school) and she works us so hard.. all of my friends dont get near as much of the work/homework/notes we do. she tells us we always need more detail yet we write the amount she tells us to write... anyway is an a4 page okay for a 15 mark question?

ALSO: can you please tell me if its okay if i just go over: Lake Isle Of inisfree
    Midterm break
    Dulce et decorum est
    The door

Will i be covered?
    ALSO last question, is the english exam the hardest paper out of all of them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DaleyBlind

I did the English mock exam a few days ago. I wasn't looking forward to it but it turned out to be fairly easy, especially paper 1. That depends if we both get the paper from the same company.

Assuming we do get the same paper you will be covered. And if we don't 4 poems is still definitely enough. A4 is definitely enough for 15 marks. But remember that quality is more important than quantity. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

sazzobean wrote: »
    hi i have one or two questions regarding the english paper,

we have a good english teacher(shes known to be the best in the school) and she works us so hard.. all of my friends dont get near as much of the work/homework/notes we do. she tells us we always need more detail yet we write the amount she tells us to write... anyway is an a4 page okay for a 15 mark question?

ALSO: can you please tell me if its okay if i just go over: Lake Isle Of inisfree
    Midterm break
    Dulce et decorum est
    The door

Will i be covered?
    ALSO last question, is the english exam the hardest paper out of all of them?

I know it's a bit of a cliché but with English answers are marked more on quality than quantity. Backing up your points in each answer is key. Also, structure is so important: only one point per paragraph! That said, an A4 page for 15 marks sounds like a good guideline.

I'd say you probably would be covered with those poems- have you got another poem with a similar theme to one of the poems? Just to be sure in case a question about comparing two poems comes up? However I'd say you should be okay- I think I only knew about three poems going into my mock and I was okay!

It's really a matter of opinion whether English is the hardest exam : if English is your favourite subject, you probably won't find it the most difficult exam. That said, the timing for English Paper 2 does make that exam one of the most difficult in terms of getting it finshed- it is vital that you follow the timing rigidly.

Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I got an A in Junior Cert English and my rule was that I wrote a paragraph for every five marks so a 15 mark question would be about three-quarters of a page (my writing is very small though so a full page is probably the around the average for 15 marks). However make sure to keep it concise, stick strictly to the Point Quote Explain rule. The examiner will not give marks for rambling or irrelevant information.

At this point I wouldn't bother studying any more poems for the mocks as those ones should cover you for most questions, but between now and the actual exam I would recommend doing a couple more just to ensure that you're prepared for everything (make sure you know two or three poems with similar themes and a few poems by the same writer).

There's no way of definitively saying what the hardest exam is because everyone has different skills and tastes. People who have an advantage in English are those who read a lot, those who know the paper inside-out, those who know what the examiner is looking for and those who have practised enough to be comfortable with the timing. I can't stress the importance of getting yourself used to the tight time limits - I got a C in the mocks largely due to the fact that I had not worked with the pressure of the timing scheme before. However after that our teacher had us doing a timed question every week in class and had us do all of our exam paper homework within the time assigned to the question during the exam, and I improved hugely. I would definitely recommend that you start timing your homework if you haven't already. Expect the quality of your answers to drop at first but you'll start improving quickly and it's really the only way to get used to the timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gilava

Anyone have a leak of the English paper 2 or can tell me what came up and for history or homec or Irish 2 or religion 😖😖

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Only if you want to be banned. Cop on and revise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement