Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on SSD's

Options
  • 05-02-2015 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

Whats your opinion on SSD's . I was thinking of buying one for my laptop. Are they much quicker than hard drives? Are they as reliable as hard drives??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I wouldn't buy a machine without one these days, using one is an absolute chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

what do you mean - using an SSD is a chore?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

After memory, it's the best upgrade you can spend your money on.

Much faster than a mechanical disk and more suited for a laptop which is being used on the go too as there's no head crash risk if the laptop falls.

Smaller capacities / highest cost per gb though.

As to whether they are more reliable or not is debatable. I wouldn't trust a consumer drive that's older than 5 years and that has been in continuous use regardless of the tech. You'd have backups though .... Wouldn't you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

Thanks for your post. If the drive fails, can any of the information be retrieved from it? Say in the case of the hard drive failing I think that some data companies would be able to retrieve data from it - would this be the same with SSD's??

kala85 wrote: »
    what do you mean - using an SSD is a chore?

Using a machine without an SSD is a chore. Buy one, buy one now :)

• Advertisement

Even the recover from a Hard drive is very expensive much cheaper to just keep a back up.

SSDs are less likely to have a catastrophic failure, but are more likely to fail over time (theoretically).

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

kala85 wrote: »
    Thanks for your post. If the drive fails, can any of the information be retrieved from it? Say in the case of the hard drive failing I think that some data companies would be able to retrieve data from it - would this be the same with SSD's??

It can.... the cost of data retrieval from a mechanical drive is high enough...recovery from an ssd is more expensive again.
    You'd really want to want the data back to have to use any advanced data recovery services..,

Just do backups, there's no reason not to.

Don't backup gigs if data that you have but don't really care about - backup the data that would force you to hand over a couple of thousand euro to a data recovery company when something bad happens.

TBH I stopped doing backups as all my important stuff is in the cloud (minus the naked pictures ofc) probably not best to rely on a single provider for any very, very important stuff but it's safer than the regimen that 99% of people employ and that's to do sod all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's definitely worth upgrading an older laptop to an SSD, I was fed up looking at the HDD light flash away for ages after every boot so bought a Samsung EVO SSD with the adapter and migration s/w. The installation, data migration and swapover was a breeze and I never looked back, the laptop is getting on for 5 years old now and I'm hoping to get another year out of it. The benefit of an SSD is that you don't have to worry about fragmentation, overall performance is better and booting up is waaaaaaaaaay faster.

coylemj wrote: »
    It's definitely worth upgrading an older laptop to an SSD, I was fed up looking at the HDD light flash away for ages after every boot so bought a Samsung EVO SSD with the adapter and migration s/w. The installation, data migration and swapover was a breeze and I never looked back, the laptop is getting on for 5 years old now and I'm hoping to get another year out of it. The benefit of an SSD is that you don't have to worry about fragmentation, overall performance is better and booting up is waaaaaaaaaay faster.

Uses less battery as well which is a boon on an older lappy if it has any juice left in the battery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement