Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to fix scratched XBOX game

Options
  • 05-02-2015 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

My XBOX 360 made a ring scratch around FIFA15. I get an error message just after the load screen. Any shops that can fix this or will i just bin it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Install the game using a friend's copy, then all you need is your disc to boot it.

or try this http://www.ehow.com/how_8639081_fix-360-game-banana-peel.html someone mentioned it on the radio during the week...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

scuderia wrote: »
    My XBOX 360 made a ring scratch around FIFA15. I get an error message just after the load screen. Any shops that can fix this or will i just bin it?

I think gamestop used to do a refurbishing service on discs - like how they test trade ins. That might not be handles in store any more though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gamestop won't do it. Smyths I think will and CEX definitely do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You could try picking up a rental copy or borrow a copy from a friend and install it to the hard drive. Should work then with the damaged disc in the drive as it will just check it's a valid copy of the game and not look to read the entire game from it.

Worked with a couple of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭scuderia

calex71 wrote: »
    You could try picking up a rental copy or borrow a copy from a friend and install it to the hard drive. Should work then with the damaged disc in the drive as it will just check it's a valid copy of the game and not look to read the entire game from it.

Worked with a couple of mine.

Could you explain this in a little more detail please?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This is assuming that you have room on your Xbox 360 hard drive:

Get a copy of the game from a friend/Xtravision.
    Install this new copy onto your Xbox 360s hard drive.
    Once installed, insert your scratched disk.
    The game should now load from the hard drive.

This should work, because the game is being loaded from your hard drive, not from the scratched disk. Your console will check that the disk is the right one, but after that, it goes to the hard drive.

To be honest, you should install all your games to the hard drive, much quieter and some are faster too.

Check out the instructions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

If you got to Gamestop and so long as the disc damage looks fixable, they'll replace it with a pre-owned copy for a fiver.

Went to Smyths, paid 3€, they used one of them disc repair machines, came home, game works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

On the Xbox 360 you can install games on to the hard drive.

Once a game is fully installed you need only to have your disc in the drive to play the game off the hard drive. The drive does a quick spin just to check that the game is in the tray and it then runs the game comepletely from the hard drive.

So you basically do a full game install on to the hard driv from a good disc and then once that's done you can play the game using the damaged disc.

* edit: sorry, I see its been expanded on already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Went to Smyths, paid 3€, they used one of them disc repair machines, came home, game works.

Wow thats quite reasonable indeed. Certainly better than paying for 'disc insurance sucker tax' every time in Gamestop when you can just pay the 3 quid if and when you have a damaged disc.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    Wow thats quite reasonable indeed. Certainly better than paying for 'disc insurance sucker tax' every time in Gamestop when you can just pay the 3 quid if and when you have a damaged disc.

I honestly didn't think the disc repair machine would work. A ring could clearly be seen on the disc before I brought it in. Now it's barely visible. Almost looks like new.

Advertisement