Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weighted Average (workout)

Options
  • 05-02-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭

How do you work out your expect average basing it on results you expect achieve basing it on 3 10 credit modules and 5 5 credit modules.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭paulbok

I hope maths isn't one of the results you got.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Multiply your 10 module results by 10, you 5 credit module results by 5, and them all together, then divide this number by the total number of credits (usually 60). That's your weighted average.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

I thought this thread was going to be about workouts.

How do so many people not know weightings?
    10 pounds is twice as heavy as 5 pounds.
    Your 10 credit modules are worth twice as much as your 5 credit ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Multiply your 10 module results by 10, you 5 credit module results by 5, and them all together, then divide this number by the total number of credits (usually 60). That's your weighted average.

Think the other day we were told that your 5 credit module results are divided in half before they are calculated?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Think the other day we were told that your 5 credit module results are divided in half before they are calculated?

Well halving your 5 credit results and then adding them all together with your 10 credit results and getting an average of them all would give you the same answer provided you only have 5 and 10 credit modules - the method I posted allows you work it out regardless of what way the credits are assigned to your modules.

Either method will work in this case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement