Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do post-graduate assignments differ to Undergraduate?

• 05-02-2015 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about a taught M.A. in Humanities, well History to be precise. How would a typical assignment differ to one at Undergraduate? is there more independent thought and research required?.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The National Qualifications body (www.qqi.ie) will stipulate requirements for courses at various levels, from which course and program designers can (must) design the modules within a program leading to an award.

As you move up the levels (e.g. Level 7 being ordinary level, Level 8 being hounours, etc.), the learning requirements shift from essentially regurgitation (lower levels), to analysis to synthesis (higher levels).

To answer your question, yes, the higher level courses would involve more synthesis of information from various sources, and assessments would be designed accordingly. Typically, at masters level, you would see requirements along the lines of "evidence shown of reading from an extensive number of relevant sources". For example, you could be marked in areas such as knowledge and understanding, argument development, evaluation of current research, linking theory and practice and so on.

Also, having an (informed) opinion, is usually important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I'm thinking about a taught M.A. in Humanities, well History to be precise. How would a typical assignment differ to one at Undergraduate? is there more independent thought and research required?.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

S

Assignments will be longer. In my experience at Undergraduate level they would have been about 2,500 words tops, but at Post-Graduate level they were 5,000-6,000.

The standard expected will be higher which means greater analysis but also far more engagement with Primary sources. At Undergraduate a good grasp of secondary sources will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

The running theme at Post grad is critical thinking. Proof that you have a brain capable of independent thinking and synthesis of taught material...which you will gain no problem given the level of reading required (Ill assume humanities will be similar to my own area in the social sciences).

The main difference I found was focus on the use of published, peer reviewed articles as opposed to text books as a source of information..which I have to say is a great way of learning and knowledge accumulation.

Assignments for 10 credit modules will be about 5000-7000 words, 5 credits about 3000 all in and then exams.

All in all post grad is great..your treated as an adult, viewpoints respected and your challenged and expected to challenge. My Post grad experience at MSc was great..really enjoyed it. So best of luck OP!!

Advertisement