Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appreticeships

Options
  • 05-02-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I'm 31 and looking to start an apprenticeship in electrical installation, would anybody know of a contractor looking to employ at the minute? I'm based in the north 5 mins from Castleblayney, I can travel if needed no problem as I have a van and tools.

I have been working for the last three years with single and three phase motors, pumps, compressors and control panels etc in the wastewater treatment industry. I have decided I want to go and learn the electrical trade fully now and am looking for an employer. Previously I have completed an apprenticeship in fabrication and welding and studied a HNC in Mechanical Engineering at college, so I'm not a complete beginner and have a good working experience in industry.

Thanks
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Sorry I can't help you but I wish you the best of luck.knew a lad in his thirties who started his apprentiship and he never looked back. I'm sure their are companies out there looking for someone like you whose not green and would be a great asset as a first year(when most apprentices don't make money for the company )
    I currently employ an apprentice who picked up the phone and rang every electrical contractor in the county. I initially turned him down but he replied with a txt message thanking me for taking the time to talk to him and would I consider him in the future. My point is direct contact is best.
    Good luck in your search

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

meercat wrote: »
    Sorry I can't help you but I wish you the best of luck.knew a lad in his thirties who started his apprentiship and he never looked back. I'm sure their are companies out there looking for someone like you whose not green and would be a great asset as a first year(when most apprentices don't make money for the company )
    I currently employ an apprentice who picked up the phone and rang every electrical contractor in the county. I initially turned him down but he replied with a txt message thanking me for taking the time to talk to him and would I consider him in the future. My point is direct contact is best.
    Good luck in your search

+1 on direct contact, actualy calling to their door is best, phone is second and follow on with CV.
    Just sending a CV is 3rd.

Best of luck, stick to it and you'll get there.
    Tom

Try Kirby group. Based in Limerick but have offices in Galway, Dublin and the UK. I served my time with them and I started with two lads in their late 30's and early 40's. They still work for them 8 years later. I'd nearly bet 50 quid that they'll hire you. You seem like the type of guy they'd love working for them. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Try Kirby group. Based in Limerick but have offices in Galway, Dublin and the UK. I served my time with them and I started with two lads in their late 30's and early 40's. They still work for them 8 years later. I'd nearly bet 50 quid that they'll hire you. You seem like the type of guy they'd love working for them. Best of luck.
    Kirby's look to be hiring at the moment on their website, try Pepsi in little island cork as well they advertised in the examiner on Friday for an apprentice electrician.
    As well as that try Suir, mercury electrical they always need apprentices.

Best luck with the search

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dufftronic

i served my time in Kerry Foods in Carrickmacross. Not sure if they are looking for people but it was a very good apprenticeship. I was an old apprentice as well at 26 when i started. best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As per the forum charter please do not mention company names.
    We do not want to be seen to recommend / castigate / promote / favor any company on an open forum.

However if you wish to assist the OP feel free to send messages mentioning company names, contacts etc. by PM.

Thanks

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement