Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal walk

Options
  • 05-02-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Anyone ever done this? I'm considering it starting at Croke Park and heading on to Maynooth staying in a B&B and then waking to Enfield the next day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I cycled out to Leixlip Louisa bridge before, its a bit grim from Phibbsboro to Reileys bridge ( around Broomebridge esp) but then its grand.

Lots have cycled it and you can find more on the cycling forum - re surface, towpaths switching sides and dead ends etc.

There was a waterways website with a map online, stating where the locks, bridges etc were, handy to look at ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Go for it you will have a great walk. I regularly walk this section and so am quite familiar.
    Some things to consider.
    The section after Croke park is currently closed and so you will have to take to the streets and rejoin the canal at cross guns bridge . That is close to the Brian Boru pub if you are familiar. From there to Castlenock is all tarmac and easy walking
    The two sections from Castlenock to Coolmine and from Coolmine to Clonsilla can be very mucky after bad weather with large tree roots and stones underfoot.
    After that the remainder to Maynooth is mainly on grass which can be a little mucky after rain but nothing to bother anyone with decent footwear.
    The second days walk from Maynooth to Enfield is also mainly easy walking on good grassy tracks.
    Be aware that on first day your options for food stops are quite limited . The last restaurant close to the canal is the 12th Lock in Castlenock and if you need food later on you will have to divert into Clonsilla , Lucan or Leixlip village which is quite a hike. However there is a supermarket at Riverforest shopping centre in Leixlip which is about five minutes walk from Leixlip Louisa bridge where you could pick up coffee , rolls etc.
    On your second day your food stop is limited to Kilcock after four miles and a good spot there is the Rye bridge Restaurant about two mins walk from the canal.
    If you need any more advise let me know.
    Blackvalley.
    PS a good guide to the distances are here.
    http://www.iwai.ie/maps/royal/distance.one.html

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

thanks for the info, very much appreciated. Gonna try it in a few weeks when the weathers a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The towpath is closed from Jones Rd the whole way to Phibsboro?
    Or just to the Drumcondra road?

Either way, Whitworth road runs just a train line north of the canal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

My mistake it is currently closed from Jones Rt to Drumcondra Rd. Actually looks as they are nearly finished the work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement