Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance for Rescue Dog

• 05-02-2015 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Just have a quick question about pet insurance for a rescue dog. (Have searched the forum, but can't find an answer for this one.)

We're looking into getting pet insurance but the forms ask a lot about aa pet's history. As we got the dog from a pound, we don't know anything about her background, whether she has any previous ailments or previous visits to the vet. We don't even have a DOB, only a guess at her age from the vet and are unsure if she is neutered or not.

In the cases of rescue pets, what should be put on her form? And would it effect any future claims wwe might have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

All my guys have been rescue dogs OP, with no history. Your own rough estimate of age is fine, and they will only be looking for vet records from the date you acquired her. What other questions are they asking? In any case, I'm confident once she is younger than seven years old they will insure her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP,
    I've rehomed quite a few dogs whose new owners had this same predicament. They generally wanted a vet report on the dog to certify that the dog was not suffering from anything too obvious when the insurance started. In some cases, the insurance company was happy to take my records about the dog's history, which included second-hand info from the vet (e.g. neutering date, vaccinations etc), but they generally wanted a vet to sign off on the dog having a clean bill of health. They'll also take things like estimated age more seriously from a vet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Many thanks for the advice, will email the insurers (probably going to go with Allianz) and ask them what they require. And then another trip to the vets. :)

Advertisement