Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting houses thread

Options
  • 05-02-2015 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

Probably been done before but I saw the below today and I thought it was interesting. Having viewed a couple of houses there (potential dream houses for me with delusions of the Victorian gent living in the city centre) the area is as rough as a badgers backside but the house has been beautifully done up.

Probably a wee bit over priced? Difficult to say when the area (perception more than actual to be fair) is so bad and the house so nice.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/18-summer-street-north-dublin-1/3076377

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

Location location location!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Open fire in the bedroom? I'm sold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Location location location!

Yeah, I wanted to come back on that. I have to admit I wouldn't want to walk around the intimidate area approaching it late at night, but asking around people seemed quite friendly and said there was no trouble in the area. Really nice community garden at the end of the street too. So although I'm not trying to back pedal on the bad area comment, I don't want to sound snobby about it either.

fannymagee wrote: »
    Open fire in the bedroom? I'm sold!

The hat stand did it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PixieOD

Beautifully decorated house, lovely and bright, my dream home too... BUT... I was in Art college around this area up until last term and it's dog rough..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I like the little wooden deck just outside the back door - pity you can't see it better in photos. We're looking to knock our extremely shoddy conservatory down and put something like that decking in - I like how natural it is, no big reddy wood coloured monstrosity.

Fab house - I love seeing what people have done with houses for inspiration :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Gorgeous, owner has very good taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Gorgeous house, but I would not spend the guts of half a million on somewhere that I would be nervous walking home in the dark. Bear in mind, for 3-4 months a year you will be coming home from work in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,346 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

MouseTail wrote: »
    Gorgeous, owner has very good taste.

To me it looks like the product of a staging company, it doesn't look lived in. I've recently used one to stage a property I was selling.

Marcusm wrote: »
    To me it looks like the product of a staging company, it doesn't look lived in. I've recently used one to stage a property I was selling.

To be fair some touches do look photoshopped, the fire for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 PixieOD

yes hmmm if we had smellavision, we'd probably be smelling freshly baked bread and filtered coffee too..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I love the hobby horse.

It is done up beautifully but no kerb appeal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I love the hobby horse.

It is done up beautifully but no kerb appeal at all.

Its an on-street inner city redbrick Georgian with sash windows (wouldn't take much to restore original fanlight). There is no pleasing some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

was there not a story a few years back about a high rate of cancer in that area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

To be fair some touches do look photoshopped, the fire for example.
    Fires are almost always photoshopped in afterwards, as nobody would go to the bother of lighting a fire and waiting until it's just nice for being photographed.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

In fairness places like this are what might slowly help to gentrify these areas and make them less rough. Someone I worked with similarly did up a house in Rutland St. Obviously government intervention is needed too in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

was there not a story a few years back about a high rate of cancer in that area ?

If its a dog rough area, that'd be due to demographics, lifestyle choices etc as opposed to a cell tower or pylon if thats what you're getting at. Funny how there are never cancer blackspots in more affluent areas surrounding pylons or cell towers or Garda station radio masts but there can be in dog rough areas surrounding same. ie in the rough areas its a sad fact that diets are worse, access to or use of healthcare worse, more smokers, more stress and depression for obvious reasons etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

MrMorooka wrote: »
    In fairness places like this are what might slowly help to gentrify these areas and make them less rough. Someone I worked with similarly did up a house in Rutland St. Obviously government intervention is needed too in these areas.

Lived in that area in 1995 when I was young and didn't know any better, it was rough then, rough through the boom, and gentrification is a century away.

Nice house, but my god I wouldn't live there, seriously dodgy area, always found the Northside funny like that, Clontarf which is a fantastic area is within walking distance.

You just don't get that on the southside, generally everywhere is ok if not fantastic.

My thoughts where about gentrification also but as above it's a long, long way off. The whole issue of problem areas being focused in Dublin CC would need to be addressed first. That said thing can and do get overstated.

Having said that I'm leaning more and more to that place being vastly overpriced. Probably worth more like c. 300K. Also some great points about staging and photo-shopping in this thread.

Does show though that if you're willing to live in the area, you can create a very nice pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The Spider wrote: »
    Lived in that area in 1995 when I was young and didn't know any better, it was rough then, rough through the boom, and gentrification is a century away.

Nice house, but my god I wouldn't live there, seriously dodgy area, always found the Northside funny like that, Clontarf which is a fantastic area is within walking distance.

You just don't get that on the southside, generally everywhere is ok if not fantastic.

Tallaght??

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Tallaght??

Yeah I dont buy the southside comment either I'm afraid :pac:

Oliver Bond
    Inchicore
    Ballyfermot
    Crumlin

All have good and bad. Reasonable comment about good areas being in walking distance of bad though. I thing that goes someway to showing the good areas get over hyped and the bad hyped as being bad.

I'm sure a west/east comment is coming from someone :D

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Tallaght??

I was waiting for it, Tallaght is generally not in what is referred to as South Dublin, and even on that point, try walking from Tallaght to Dundrum not exactly a hop skip and a jump, Tallaght is basically cut off by the M50.

Yeah I dont buy the southside comment either I'm afraid :pac:

Oliver Bond
    Inchicore
    Ballyfermot
    Crumlin

All have good and bad. Reasonable comment about good areas being in walking distance of bad though. I thing that goes someway to showing the good areas get over hyped and the bad hyped as being bad.

I'm sure a west/east comment is coming from someone :D

Ha I was about to, either way I don't think anyone who knows Dublin would dispute where the good and bad areas are, and where's safer and where isn't.

Good example I suppose is, that you could reasonably walk from the city centre to Dundrum safely enough, but if you had to walk from the city centre to Phibsbourough after a night out, lets just say you'd be much more aware of your surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I quite like the idea of this thread - put up an interesting property and discuss it.

That being said,I'm not liking that the discussion is going to the usual what is South Dublin debate, and general dissing of entire areas of Dublin.

If you've come across a unique or interesting property, please post, if you just want to re-hash the same arguments you have on every other thread in this forum, then don't.

/Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Its a lovely looking property and I don't think that area is as bad as its reputation would suggest (only based my own, relatively scant experience). However for that sort of money there would be comparable properties available in more "desirable" areas like D4 and D6 and for less money in D8. I suppose if a buyer had a connection to the area or wanted to buy on the northside it would be a good fit but I would still consider it over priced

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭farrerg

My thoughts where about gentrification also but as above it's a long, long way off. The whole issue of problem areas being focused in Dublin CC would need to be addressed first. That said thing can and do get overstated.

Having said that I'm leaning more and more to that place being vastly overpriced. Probably worth more like c. 300K. Also some great points about staging and photo-shopping in this thread.

Does show though that if you're willing to live in the area, you can create a very nice pad.

I agree, it looks to have been well maintained and beautifully stage, but it still looks overpriced.
    If I had any concerns about the area re security or safety, that would definitely be a deal breaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

NCR definitely has some interesting houses. Although most have been sold or going to be sold as DCC basically outlawing bed sits has closed down a lot of the houses. You used to be drive down the street and see half of the houses with a for sale/sold sign on them

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/39-north-circular-road-north-circular-road-dublin-7/2991931

This is an unreal house. Its 2300 sq feet and a complete shell of a house. I would take a shell of a house over most "modern houses" of someone with horrific tastes,

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/125-north-circular-road-dublin-7/3070927

There one is also "interesting". It was rented for €12k an annum for a 9 bed sit house. I wonder how the LL thought that was a good rental price

The NCR has amazing value. You can buy 3400 sq foot houses split into 10 bed aparments (as in meeting DCC standards) for about 500k. You can extend them about put in a few more apartments. Or you can buy a horrific quality one bed apartment in a poor quality development in the Dublin City for €130-180k. Plus you are probably paying about €2-3k for management fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

This house caught my eye last week (I am unable to post a full link): daft.ie/sales/beaumont-6-montenotte-cork/1021847/
    Beautiful architecture..

MayBea wrote: »
    This house caught my eye last week (I am unable to post a full link): daft.ie/sales/beaumont-6-montenotte-cork/1021847/
    Beautiful architecture..

That's a top class house, almost worth moving to Cork...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

The Spider wrote: »
    That's a top class house, almost worth moving to Cork...

Cork definitely has some gems to offer - rather impressive 2 Belgrave Place, Glenbrook, Monkstown, Cork, sold for 550K.
    Some pictures can be found here: irishexaminer.com/property/coverstory/cover-story-dream-home-with-five-star-standard-inside-264337.html#

Advertisement