Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD enclosure wont recognise SSD

Options
  • 05-02-2015 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭

I have an enclosure I use all the time but I got a new EVO 840 SSD and I want to migrate the data from my laptop hdd to my SSD but the laptop doesn't recognise it in the enclosure.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe the enclosure has a limit to the size it can handle. Try another enclosure?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭rob316

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Maybe the enclosure has a limit to the size it can handle. Try another enclosure?

500gb it says and the ssd is 120gb. Don't have another.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Upgrade the BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Plug in another sata hard-drive, to ensure the SATA connection is working. Then try the SSD in the laptop, so see if the laptop can see it, to ensure something can see it. If not visible in laptop and enclosure, but other drives are, SSD may be DOA.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My guesses would be:

1. Its just not formated yet, check Disk Management.
    2. Drive is DOA
    3. Cradle and drive controller arent playing nice for whatever reason.

• Advertisement

Ok I tried it in two laptop and the drive wouldn't boot, so on top of not been recognised by the enclosure, its safe to assume its DOA?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It won't boot without an Operating System on it.

Have you checked Disk Management like ED E suggested above ? I may just need to be formatted. The disk won't show up in Explorer unless it has a filesystem.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    It won't boot without an Operating System on it.

Have you checked Disk Management like ED E suggested above ? I may just need to be formatted. The disk won't show up in Explorer unless it has a filesystem.

Ken

Sorry how do I do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

rob316 wrote: »
    Sorry how do I do that?
    Google Windows+disk+management

Na its definitely DOA alrite, I tried everything and I brought it to a pc repair place and they said same. amazon sending me a new one.

Thanks for the help guys :)

• Advertisement

Got super fast delivery from Amazon this morning of replacement. Migrated data in 30 mins, I'm now in SSD heaven. Boot time is about 5 secs, and amazingly photoshop opens in 2 seconds :eek: It usually took up to 1 min on my bog HDD.

Where have you been all my life SSD? I had no idea they were such a huge upgrade, got to convince the boss in work now to upgrade all computers with SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Once you got solid state you NEVER go back.

Win8 with a fast UEFI means I'm online within about 3-4 seconds. Other peoples laptops seem like ancient relics in comparison.

Advertisement