Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College fees, will they double for me?

Options
  • 05-02-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I sat my LC in 2013 and the year after (last year) I studied computer science in DIT, I finished my summer exams but failed many of them and never went back without contacting them. I am currently taking a gap year but seek to go back to college in a different institute in September.

I would like to know if it would still be standard fees for me in a college such as IADT. I'm being told by people that I would be charged double the standard amount.. Which would be over €5000. I really do not understand how that could be possible.

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could clarify to me how much I would be charged per annum if I attention a different 3rd level college in September.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭AlabamaWorley

I dropped out of a course after one year, and decided to go back to college this year.

I had to pay the basic registration fees, and then 1,070 on top of that.
    You will need to get a letter from the college you dropped out of though!

If you had of completed lets say 3 years of a 4 year course and then dropped out - you would have to pay extra for each of those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

mgurlahurl wrote: »
    I sat my LC in 2013 and the year after (last year) I studied computer science in DIT, I finished my summer exams but failed many of them and never went back without contacting them. I am currently taking a gap year but seek to go back to college in a different institute in September.

I would like to know if it would still be standard fees for me in a college such as IADT. I'm being told by people that I would be charged double the standard amount.. Which would be over €5000. I really do not understand how that could be possible.

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could clarify to me how much I would be charged per annum if I attention a different 3rd level college in September.

Currently, EU nationals (subject to residency requirements) attending full-time Ordinary Degree and Honours Degree programmes are not normally required to pay tuition fees. An annual Student Contribution (€2750 in the academic year 2014/15) is payable by all full-time students. This amount, subject to change from year to year, includes an Examination Fee and is payable for each year of study.

The reason you do not pay tuition fees is because the government pays for you. The College/University bills the government depending on how many students they have.

However, as you have completed 1 year of study - the government has already paid fees for you to complete first year. They will not pay these fees again. Should you decide to drop out and start another course, you will have to pay tuition fees for first year as well as the student contribution at that time.

What the tuition fees are depends on where you attend as well as the course. For IADT I can't find tuition fee figures, but yes you could expect it to at least double. In other Colleges/Universities the tuition fee could be in excess of €8000, and you would have to pay the student contribution of €2750 also. Also if you previously received any financial support such as a grant (SUSI) you would not be entitled to this again for the year(s) you have already studied.

Advertisement