Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interior Painting of new build

Options
  • 06-02-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Starting the interior painting of the self build; wondered if other self builders went down the line of painting themselves or bringing in the professionals ? Can you share your cost's and any pro/cons on various recommendations that we hear about painting ie; spray the ceilings, use primer sealer as the mist coat; when to sand;

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Starting the interior painting of the self build; wondered if other self builders went down the line of painting themselves or bringing in the professionals ? Can you share your cost's and any pro/cons on various recommendations that we hear about painting ie; spray the ceilings, use primer sealer as the mist coat; when to sand;

thanks

Pro - saves you money
    Con - 'that snags not my problem, must have been damaged during painting'

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bartbu

curious or anyone....wondering did you find any answers to painting of new build re spray paint or roll....in galway area also and finding it hard to get good info...Is it a waste of time to paint before floors are poured...is it best to get price without supplying paint...
    Build 3000sq foot...
    thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

bartbu wrote: »
    curious or anyone....wondering did you find any answers to painting of new build re spray paint or roll....in galway area also and finding it hard to get good info...Is it a waste of time to paint before floors are poured...is it best to get price without supplying paint...
    Build 3000sq foot...
    thx

You could'nt paint before screed; after screeding the house your walls will be wet from the moisture and destory the paint.

Re prices including paint; how can you be 100% of the quality of the paint, I'd be supplying the paint myself.

Paint v's roller; not too sure myself.

All efforts to date point to using a proper sealer as the first coat and not a paint/water mix. The sealer is expensive but its a much better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jathclare

If you want to save money get the paint mixed instead of buying the brand. Each paint type has a code, which hardware stores with the right equipment can identify exactly which blend to use, they have a license to do this and if in doubt will call the maker and check the mix. They can supply the same paint for much less than the big retailers. Remember most paint is basically white paint with a bit of colour paint mixed in. A good store will give you a 1 litre to test if your not sure first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

jathclare wrote: »
    If you want to save money get the paint mixed instead of buying the brand. Each paint type has a code, which hardware stores with the right equipment can identify exactly which blend to use, they have a license to do this and if in doubt will call the maker and check the mix. They can supply the same paint for much less than the big retailers. Remember most paint is basically white paint with a bit of colour paint mixed in. A good store will give you a 1 litre to test if your not sure first.

What code are you on about? RAL is the colour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 RossyR

Looking at getting interior of new build painted.
    2,300 sq ft. 2nd fix done. (ie switches/plugs + rads)
    Planning on getting finished doors, skirting etc later.
    Tiling not done yet.

Got price for spray painting walls (1 coat) and ceilings (2 coats).
    €1000 and painter is supplying the white paint.

How does this sound?
    Its the first price i got..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

RossyR wrote: »
    €1000 and painter is supplying the white paint.

Avoid painter supplying the paint. Ensure that the ceilings of the bathrooms have the correct paint for bathrooms and ensure that the first coat on the walls is a sealer and not a water mix. Also, ensure that the price includes sanding down all the walls and making good cracks with filler. €1000 sounds about right. I've gotten between €600 and €2500 (I supply the paint for both prices) for this so its difficult to know whats what.

Advertisement