Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden shed

Options
  • 06-02-2015 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I am looking to get a shed for the back garden approx 10ft x 10ft and approx 8ft high. What would be a rough cost to blocklay this shed and roof it? Would there be much difference cost wise between building this shed and buying a good quality timber shed? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cpg093 wrote: »
    I am looking to get a shed for the back garden approx 10ft x 10ft and approx 8ft high. What would be a rough cost to blocklay this shed and roof it? Would there be much difference cost wise between building this shed and buying a good quality timber shed? Thanks

Good quality timber shed will be cheaper. But a good quality block shed can be insulated and used in achillary to the main house in future years. It should also last longer than the timber shed with less maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cpg093

kceire wrote: »
    Good quality timber shed will be cheaper. But a good quality block shed can be insulated and used in achillary to the main house in future years. It should also last longer than the timber shed with less maintenance.

Thats what i have been thinking. I am better off to spend the extra money on a block shed. Would you have any idea of rough costs?

cpg093 wrote: »
    Thats what i have been thinking. I am better off to spend the extra money on a block shed. Would you have any idea of rough costs?

I seen one quote the other day for a 4m X 3m shed.
    Cavity block construction with 62mm insulated plasterboard.
    rendered finish externally.
    skimed and plastered and painted white inside.
    one door.
    no window but lintel in place for future use.

Yours will be alot smaller so work back from there roughly.
    I would imagine a basic finish for abou 8k give or take.

Deedsie wrote: »

What I want to find out is how much would I be looking to pay for the blocks required?

Blocks very in cost from supplier to supplier. Do a count on what you need and ring around for prices delivered. I found Roadstone quite competitive when buying blocks for my build.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You’re looking at about 30sqm of wall and lets say 10sqm of ground, so around 280 blocks and 20 footballs for your walls which will be around €450 depending on where you buy.

The concrete base will depend on whether you are doing an outline, of a full slab. The minimum delivery is usually 2 cubic metres which will be around €250. This will give you a 20cm thick base. Add steel mesh and misc...you will be looking at €300-350.

Then you need to decide of what kind of roof, wood....corregated steel, plastic etc. If wood, will you use felt, rubber, fibreglass....? Materials for wood roof will be around €500.

Then add a door....€100-€500. Window(s)....and do you insulate, render, floor it?

Skip/waste...€150

The difference between €2k and €10k will be on the finish you want, and how much you do yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement