Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uninsured driver

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

You need to back that up with a link.

I'm not so sure they won't payout if the other driver is found at fault, the OP's lack of insurance is a completely separate matter.

damage to a vehicle and it's passengers is a civil matter, no insurance is a criminal matter. Seperate

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Pataman wrote: »
    A recent change in law now allows drivers of uninsured vehicles in the same accident to claim against each other. In the case of Woods v. Woods the Plaintiff was involved in a motorcycle accident with his brother. Neither of the brothers was insured to drive their motorcycles.

Ah...not fishy at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Adrian2468 wrote: »
    I was a uninsured driver in a accident totally the other drivers fault ( I know I should not have been on the road) but can I still claim? Any feed back welcome

Yes you can claim if the other driver was at fault, your insurance status at the time of the collision is irrelevant.
    Anyone on here know if I cash uninsured and guards are called they tell me 2 produce insurance and licence within 10 days this was 2 months ago which I did not do can I still be prosecuted or has it gone 2 long guards fault?

AGS have 6 months to issue summonses and it can take a while after that for them to get to you. It is highly unlikely that this will go away, you can expect at least 4 summonses.Driving with no licence, failure to produce licence,driving with no insurance, failure to produce insurance, 4 separate offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

inforfun wrote: »
    And the solutions is so simple.
    Connect a few databases and as soon as you put a car in your name, the motor tax bill is in the mail and as soon as you take out insurance, that will be registered too.
    Car in your name and no insurance and tax? Fine the hell out of them.

Sick of the excuse: Too expensive, i cant afford it. It comes with owning a car. If you cant afford tax/insurance, you just cant afford owning and driving a car.

See, I still think that greatest deal on uninsured drivers in Ireland are not people who have a car and never bother insuring it, but those who get caught with stupid system of named drivers.
    Considering most car insurance policies in Ireland cover only certain drivers to drive the car, this causes the easiest and most common reason for driving uninsured.
    I borrow a car to a friend - he drives uninsured.
    I try to buy a car, test driver it - uninsured.
    I'm driving and feel tired - ask my passenger to drive - uninsured.

It's just way too easy to drive uninsured.

• Advertisement

Oh, that named driver system is indeed stupid.
    I go to Holland and i can drive anyone's car simply because the owner insured it and i have a drivers license. So the car is insured and that is what counts.

I go to Holland and i can drive anyone's car simply because the owner insured it and i have a drivers license. So the car is insured and that is what counts.

Well I'm fairly certain that's the way it works virtually everywhere outside Ireland and UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

By all means the OP should be reimbursed for the damage. Not that it would matter too much seeing as he/she will have some serious fines/ban coming down the road.

Nothing I hate more than selfish tw@ts who knowingly jump in a car with no insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

so anyone can drive it insured even of they have a stack of penalty points, previous drink driving convictions, defective eyesight, no experience, etc?

Sounds like a recipe for Insurance Premiums being even higher.

corktina wrote: »
    so anyone can drive it insured even of they have a stack of penalty points, previous drink driving convictions, defective eyesight, no experience, etc?

Well, so why they aren't?

Btw - no one should drive with defective eyesight. You won't get your driving licence if you can't see.

And maybe penalty points and previous convictions don't really affect risk like you think.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »

Age 60 (or 65) you ll have to go to a GP (not your own) for a test and based on that you ll get 1,2,34 or 5 years extension to your license. Of course not water tight. Just like a nct for cars it is a test at that very moment.
    I know from my own family how flawed it can be.

Penalty points dont exist in Holland (afaik) but drive from Rotterdam to Amsterdam and you ll be able to make a movie out of speed camera photos if you drive to fast.
    Lots of traffic lights also have camera's.
    Speeding fines are no fun. (Link in Dutch but the highest fines are for inner city speeding)
    Run a red light > €230
    Driving uninsured > €400
    Drink driving> min €350 up to €750 and driving ban
    Parking fine > €90
    Unless you thought it was smart to take a disabled space >€370

It is easy enough to lose your license in Holland. 50% over the max speed and you ll be banned.

All of that is in place here i suppose but the difference is that the penalties are more severe in Holland and there is enforcement.

And..... there is actually no provisional drivers license so anyone on the road holding a license had driving lessons before passing an exam and didnt learn how to driver from someone who also didnt learn how to drive.

Of course there is still enough people who drive around uninsured, without a license in Holland. Put your car in the name of some junkie and you can go your merry way. No system is 100%.

So yes... basically anyone can drive but would you give your car, you insured, to someone you know is a ****, half blind driver who does drink a liter of rum before driving off?

I dont think the insurance is higher in Holland but my last car insurance i had there is such a long time ago, cant reasonably compare it anymore.
    Motor tax though is a lot higher, an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The biggest payout ever in Ireland was - iirc - to the son of an uninsured driver who caused the accident. The young boy deserved it - no doubt about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP got compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Age 60 (or 65) you ll have to go to a GP (not your own) for a test and based on that you ll get 1,2,34 or 5 years extension to your license. Of course not water tight. Just like a nct for cars it is a test at that very moment.
    I know from my own family how flawed it can be.

Penalty points dont exist in Holland (afaik) but drive from Rotterdam to Amsterdam and you ll be able to make a movie out of speed camera photos if you drive to fast.
    Lots of traffic lights also have camera's.
    Speeding fines are no fun. (Link in Dutch but the highest fines are for inner city speeding)
    Run a red light > €230
    Driving uninsured > €400
    Drink driving> min €350 up to €750 and driving ban
    Parking fine > €90
    Unless you thought it was smart to take a disabled space >€370

It is easy enough to lose your license in Holland. 50% over the max speed and you ll be banned.

All of that is in place here i suppose but the difference is that the penalties are more severe in Holland and there is enforcement.

And..... there is actually no provisional drivers license so anyone on the road holding a license had driving lessons before passing an exam and didnt learn how to driver from someone who also didnt learn how to drive.

Of course there is still enough people who drive around uninsured, without a license in Holland. Put your car in the name of some junkie and you can go your merry way. No system is 100%.

So yes... basically anyone can drive but would you give your car, you insured, to someone you know is a ****, half blind driver who does drink a liter of rum before driving off?

I dont think the insurance is higher in Holland but my last car insurance i had there is such a long time ago, cant reasonably compare it anymore.
    Motor tax though is a lot higher, an awful lot.

Enforcement - here is the key. I lived in Holland for 6 months and had no trouble with the Police but I knew they were around. All the time.

Ireland - not so much. 1 checkpoint a year or 2 and that's it.

I can't believe I pay motortax and test my car. Would save a fortune by not doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adrian2468

AGS have 6 months to issue summonses and it can take a while after that for them to get to you. It is highly unlikely that this will go away, you can expect at least 4 summonses.Driving with no licence, failure to produce licence,driving with no insurance, failure to produce insurance, 4 separate offences.[/quote]
    What if I do not get any summones in the 6 months can I still get prosecuted ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Penalty points dont exist in Holland (afaik)

No, you get points for the first 5 years after your driving test. You get enough and you have to sit your test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What if I do not get any summones in the 6 months can I still get prosecuted ??
    Yes, if the Gardaí have sought prosecution within 6 months. They don't have to serve you with the summons within that 6 months, they've another 6 months to do that. You may not know about it until it arrives in the post or you get a knock on the door.

BTW I wouldn't be pinning much hope on this slipping away. Gardaí treat a no-insurance offence very seriously so its very likely he's just taking his time to make sure everything is in order to avoid the case being thrown out on a technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adrian2468

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Yes, if the Gardaí have sought prosecution within 6 months. They don't have to serve you with the summons within that 6 months, they've another 6 months to do that.

So If I hear nothing in 12 months in total I cannot be prosecuted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It's like a law-system that was twisted and bent into a contraption of unknown particles from the fifth dimension. It doesn't compute.

It does.

If for example you are an uninsured driver, and another driver runs a red light, hitting you while progressing through a green light, they were negligent.

The same degree of negligence whether they hit an insured or uninsured driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Chippy01

From here - http://haughey.lcdclientportal.com/?p=338

2009 MIBI Agreement which states that once an injured party can prove that they did not KNOW there was no policy of insurance covering the vehicle they can institute a claim for compensation against the MIBI.

The OP knew he wasn't insured.
    IMO, he doesn't deserve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So If I hear nothing in 12 months in total I cannot be prosecuted?
    AFAIK the Gardaí can have the time they have to serve the summons extended in which case you can still be prosecuted (assuming they were granted the summons in the first 6 months).

As I said earlier, you're better off talking to a solicitor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement