Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is GSM Solutions on Abbey Street really that bad?

Options
  • 06-02-2015 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

I ask because they say they can replace my iPhone battery for €50, seem like very friendly people, sold me screwdrivers previously with which to open the iPhone myself and have a look, and yet I see nothing but warnings to stay well away when anyone posts asking about them on Boards.

ExpressTech on Baggot St will do the replacement for the same price, but it feels scabby to have let GSM diagnose what needed replacement for free and then pull the phone back and pay someone else to actually replace the part, especially based on online hearsay which I haven't seen backed up with actual stories or facts (just "stay away", never "stay away because they did X to my phone" or anything like that)

So basically, are there genuine reasons not to let them replace the battery for me? What is it about them that everyone finds so horrendous?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Used them 2 or 3 times in the past

whilst a little more expensive than other places, I have never had an issue with any of their repair work.

Even fixed a furby that no other place could either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

I ask because they say they can replace my iPhone battery for €50, seem like very friendly people, sold me screwdrivers previously with which to open the iPhone myself and have a look, and yet I see nothing but warnings to stay well away when anyone posts asking about them on Boards.

ExpressTech on Baggot St will do the replacement for the same price, but it feels scabby to have let GSM diagnose what needed replacement for free and then pull the phone back and pay someone else to actually replace the part, especially based on online hearsay which I haven't seen backed up with actual stories or facts (just "stay away", never "stay away because they did X to my phone" or anything like that)

So basically, are there genuine reasons not to let them replace the battery for me? What is it about them that everyone finds so horrendous?

There are 100 of posts on boards with people describing their serious complaints with "gsm solutions" or their other aliases. They are renowned for ripping off people or doing dodgy repairs. They are also banned from this site. Here is one thread with many examples of peoples experiences on why this shop should be side stepped. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056792845

Not a nice character and I have known a few people personally who have had similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Apple are charging 75 euros for battery replacement (not sure if it can be done be an authorised reseller in Dublin or require mail-in services though).

In my opinion, the 25 euros saving is not worth the risk of having a non authorised person damage your phone, or just install non official parts into it (which might cause Apple to deny repair service in the future if you are encountering other issues).

(As far as I remember, GSM solutions have an Apple logo in front of their shop, but can't imagine they are fully official if their are selling you tools to open the phone or offering the service for less than Apple's official price)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Having changed a battery in an iPhone 4 myself, I say there's no problem doing it yourself and its cheap. As for the comment about a non-authorized person opening the phone, its likely that needing a battery replaced is outside the warranty period anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Got it done for the same price as GSM by ExpressTech, Baggot Street.

It wasn't so much the price of getting it replaced by Apple as it was (a) not liking the idea of posting my phone into the ether and not knowing when or if I'd get it back, and (b) in principle I try to avoid rewarding Apple's asinine proprietary crap as often as I can. Screw companies which try to monopolise things like repairs. It'd be all very well if they'd open a proper Apple Store in Dublin :p

Cheers for the feedback though. As I say, I just felt a little bad as the people I spoke to in GSM seemed like genuinely nice people and diagnosed the issue for free, and I'm sure not all of their employees are necessarily aware of the shenanigans the people who run it seem to be involved in. Not worth the risk at the end of the day though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Yeah Apple need a store in Dublin for sure I have had to travel the whole way to Belfast with mine to get it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I think Ireland is too small a market for them to bother. Only Dublin and possibly Cork would be large enough for an Apple Store, and it is not worth their while engaging in a new country only for one or two stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

They are also banned from this site.
    I should point out that they are only banned here due to persistent spam advertising and not down to their working practices, quality of service or so on.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Personally had no problems with them myself, got the home button on an Iphone 5 fixed in 2 hours. was happy to pay that little bit extra for the speed tbh

Advertisement