Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hackney/Taxi business

Options
  • 06-02-2015 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I know I've been down this road before but it won't go away.

I'm looking for an additional income and was thinking of maybe setting up a hackney business. My area needs one. The other option is a Taxi business (buy/rent) but I reckon it's fairly saturated.

A few questions:

1. Anyone out there doing okay at the hackney game?

2. I know a psv licence is needed but it looks like you also need to jump through hoops to licence the vehicle as well, as in you need a report from the County Council identifying the need for the service and it must be wheelchair accessible now or your application won't be accepted ... Am I right?

Any advise appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I don't know much about hackneys at all but is their day not gone?

Why would I as a punter ever use a hackney when a taxi is also available ? The new technology like Hailo etc means that I have actually never called for a cab in over 3 years now. I use my app, pay by my credit card and its simple, quick and effective. I know exactly where the taxi is when i hail it, I'm not rining a base looking to see where he is and getting fobbed off

The advances in taxi related technology in the next few years will make it even easier to use them over a hackney. Uber and Lyft et al will soon mean that a normal joe soap can put his car on the road. All the legal challenges against these companies have failed to stop them expanding, its a matter of time before they are commonplace. Whats the difference in a customers mind between a hackney and a uber or lyft driver? None imo, except I can hail the uber/lyft guy far easier, pay with my card securely without having to give it to the driver. And there is no frustration with dealing with a base

Hackney imo is a dying concept, that will soon be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hackney is viable in towns where taxis don't operate. But most are already serviced.

My dad ran a hackney business for years and I did releif driving for him. Bloody awful job, TBH. Only money to be made at weekends, from 9pm onwards, being nice to every drunk in the town. Best if you have a minibus rather than car as you can dump in a load of punters after the pubs close and drop them home.
    I hated it !!

Advertisement