Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Bait-and-switch

Options
  • 06-02-2015 5:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭

I have kept an eye on this page for a number of weeks to give Dell the benefit of the doubt in case they were out of stock. A number of weeks have passed so if they are not selling a PC for €229 then why is this price advertised? Also its coming up on Google search and ads.

Definition.
    Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also employed in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher priced items ("switching").

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Chris___ wrote: »
    I have kept an eye on this page for a number of weeks to give Dell the benefit of the doubt in case they were out of stock. A number of weeks have passed so if they are not selling a PC for €229 then why is this price advertised? Also its coming up on Google search and ads.

Definition.

Have you bought one? It's hard to deduce the consumer issue from your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭bop1977

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-3646-small-desktop/pd?oc=cd64610&model_id=inspiron-3646-small-desktop

The price is from €229, what you get for your €229 is the pc without monitor keyboard or mouse.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not seeing the issue here,
    It very clearly says prices start from or at, if you exclude the monitor you get exactly that.

OP, you've clearly not properly read their website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not seeing the issue here,
    It very clearly says prices start from or at, if you exclude the monitor you get exactly that.

OP, you've clearly not properly read their website

The PC for €229 is not in the section where it states desktops starting from €229. Its in the clearance section.

Last year this PC was in the desktop sales section for €229.

They have moved it to clearance to give the impression its reduced to clear but forgot to update the webpage.

I actually was going to buy one in December and put it in my basket just my card was declined (thanks to a certain mobile company taking a payment despite having cancelled my contract) a couple of days later after I got my refund I revisited the site and it was gone.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    if you exclude the monitor you get exactly that.
    That's a different PC (despite the monitor beside it. Its not included). The one for €229 has an Intel Celeron processor. That one above has a Pentium processor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

They have moved it to clearance to give the impression its reduced to clear but forgot to update the webpage.

That's a very different implication to your OP.
    That's a different PC (despite the monitor beside it. Its not included). The one for €229 has an Intel Celeron processor. That one above has a Pentium processor.

'Starting at €229' only appears to specify an Inspiron 3000 small desktop. There is no mention of a monitor or of the processor type.

Advertisement