Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7 (32 Bit) ?

• 06-02-2015 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade Win 8 to Win 7 (32bit)

I want to buy a new laptop but I need Windows 7 (32bit) for an older program that requires it.

I've searched online and people have said that it's quite tricky to do.
    Wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

The other option is to buy a laptop that comes with Windows 7 Professional.
    Most of the laptops I see are Windows 7 (64bit)
    Is it easy to revert down to 32 bit in this case?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

I haven't purchased a laptop just yet because I'd like to be sure about getting 32 bit on it before I do.

My situation now is that I'm looking at a HP Probook that has:

Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro)
    This system is pre-installed with Windows 7 Professional software and also comes with a license and media for Windows 8 Pro software.
    You may only use one version of the Windows software at a time. Switching between versions will require you to uninstall one version and install the other version.
    You must back up all data (files, photos, etc.) before uninstalling and installing operating systems to avoid loss of your data.

I also have in my possession through work:
    A Windows 7 Ultimate CD which includes Service Pack 1, 32 Bit Software.

Does anyone know if I could maybe format the new hard drive / windows 7 and then re-install Windows 7 Ultimate (32 Bit) off this CD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

A 32 bit operating system will only utilise 4GB RAM so generally its not advisable to downgrade from 64 to 32. If you have a 32 bit DVD, I'd advise you to create an ISO file of the operating system using a free tool like BurnAware, and create a virtual machine using the ISO. Then install your program in the virtual machine.

http://lifehacker.com/5204434/the-beginners-guide-to-creating-virtual-machines-with-virtualbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Windows 8.1 includes a virtual machine. You can run Windows 7 from within windows 8.1

More details Windows 8.1 hyper-v-run-virtual-machines

You can run a 32 bit version of Win7 in Hyper V, even if you have 64-bit Windows 8.1 as your Operating System.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

poodles wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade Win 8 to Win 7 (32bit)
    No it's not.
    Only some windows 8 licenses allow you to downgrade to 7 , and means a clean install of 7 instead of 8.

What's the app ?

There may be alternatives, upgrades, patches or workarounds.

VM's are one option , you could try the windows 10 preview to see if it magically fixes the problem ( straw clutching but at least it's free to try )

Will it work on XP 32 bit ? Because that's what Windows 7 uses in a VM to get backward compatibility.

Also windows 7 went end of life last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Also windows 7 went end of life last month.
    No it didn't, it just moved from "Mainstream" to "Extended" support. It just won't receive any new features, it will still receive security updates

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
Advertisement