Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings whilst heavily pregnant

Options
  • 06-02-2015 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice please from those who have already had babies or those in the final few weeks. This is my first pregnancy. And we have already been invited to three weddings the month I am due (possibly one more to come!!)

One will be 12 days before my due due, one 2 days before and the another 7 days after my due date. None of them are family weddings, although one is a very close friend. I am so nervous from everything I have heard about the last few weeks of pregnancy, that it's just awfully uncomfortable, heartburn central and waddle ville ;(

Sounds like the last thing I will want to do is go to a wedding, my OH just keeps saying how amazing I will be and how lovely I will look with my big bump. I think he is excited to show off the bump.

One wedding is very small, and I feel bad RSVPing for a seat I don't think I will use.

Thank you in advance! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I might not be the best person to reply as I didn't have a great pregnancy (hyperemesis from beginning to end managed with medication) but the last thing I wanted to do was get dressed up and go to a wedding in the last few weeks. Particularly at the overdue stage. Personally I would be definitely saying no to the 7 days over wedding. Which one is the close friend? To be honest I would probably say no to them all. For the last month of my pregnancy I rarely slept at night due to braxton hicks and couldn't enjoy eating due to heartburn and I just wouldn't have been able for a full day at a wedding. Even the getting up early to get ready would have killed me.
    Saying that others sailed through their pregnancies and it would be no bothers to them so really every person is different and there is no telling how you will feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I wouldn't have been able for a wedding in the last month of pregnancy, no way. I played a gig at 8 months pregnant and found it exhausting, and a wedding is a much longer day than that! Also, the last month is when things like high blood pressure etc are most likely to arise, I had no choice but to take it very easy the last few weeks. No offense to your OH, but he's allowed an opinion when he's the one doing the heavy lifting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Wholeheartedly

That sounds awful. I have had it bad since the start but am 4 months now, and (touch wood) it's starting to ease. Saying that I am just lying after such a bad throwing up!

Thanks for the feedback and I totally understand it's different for each person, but maybe even those with a good pregnancy may still not be in frame of mind for weddings? My auntie said it's a time for resting and being at home! ;)

I am thinking 3 is definitely too many, the one 7 days after is the most important, and my OH is doing all the food for it, originally it was both of us doing it, but I, of course, backed out. ;)

Thanks for the reply!

Dolbert wrote: »
    I wouldn't have been able for a wedding in the last month of pregnancy, no way. I played a gig at 8 months pregnant and found it exhausting, and a wedding is a much longer day than that! Also, the last month is when things like high blood pressure etc are most likely to arise, I had no choice but to take it very easy the last few weeks. No offense to your OH, but he's allowed an opinion when he's the one doing the heavy lifting ;)

No offence at all, I am the same. I think his idea of telling me I will be superwoman will do the trick, but it's actually making me more nervous, which I did explain to him. He just kept smiling and saying 'you're brilliant!'

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Impossible to say now tbh, you won't know until the time how you feel. You could be knackered and not in the mood for leaving the house or you could feel great and want to go and have a night out before the big day.

I went to a function 2 days before my due date with my last baby, it was grand, I didn't put any pressure on myself to stay all day but ended up staying for most of it - in the end I had to be dragged out of the place :)

You're not ill, you're pregnant and while the last few months are tiring you shouldn't let anyone tell you not to live your life.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »

You're not ill, you're pregnant and while the last few months are tiring you shouldn't let anyone tell you not to live your life.

:) I think that's hard to get my head around as so far it's been like the worst illness of my life! But they are good points, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Was at a few weddings through my pregnancy, one the week before I delivered (though it was a few weeks early). The wedding was fine. I spent more time than normal in the room resting but enjoyed it nonetheless. Had to lie down a lot the next day though I was so wrecked. Can't imagine how tired you'd be with a matter of days to go before due date. I'd say definitely no to the two who aren't your best friend and for now give the best friend a maybe. You could be still pregnant but not in the humour to leave the house, you could have a newborn, or you might welcome the distraction. There's no way for you to know now but I'm sure if it's a close friend she'll understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I went to a wedding 2 weeks before my due date last pregnancy. I pretty much missed most of it. Went to the ceremony, that was fine. Found the standing around afterwards chatting hard on the hips. Went to the meal, couldn't eat a lot of it (soft cheeses etc). Went for a rest after that. Got up again and was wary of the dance floor as a bunch of guys had their ties around their heads and were throwing themselves around a bit after the drink. So sat at the bar for another hour, and then hit the sack again.

I had the baby before due date, 38+5 I think? I was overdue on first baby, but so uncomfortable/miserable I would have been a bag of cats at any wedding.

Only one I'd consider in your case would be 12 days before date, but even that one you might end up missing. If it was me, I'd probably decline because I wouldn't want to cost the couple money if I couldn't attend in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

:) I think that's hard to get my head around as so far it's been like the worst illness of my life! But they are good points, thanks!!

Well thinking about it you could be very ill during your pregnancy if you are unlucky! Its hard to know but you'll have people telling you that even on a good pregnancy you should be at home resting. There is no need for that unless you really want to.

pwurple wrote: »
    If it was me, I'd probably decline because I wouldn't want to cost the couple money if I couldn't attend in the end.

That's what is on my mind! One of them is 95 Euro a head (yikes) Although if my OH is still going we could cover that in the card I suppose, hadn't thought of that until right now.

The idea of possibly having a newborn for any or all of them is a whole other question. ;) You always hear you will go over on your first but not always the case!

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I would probably decide on the day and if i felt up to it i'd go along to the Church part for any of the weddings of people that are very very close to me and don't require travelling, but i would decline the reception. One of my friends came to just the church for my wedding and it was so lovely and such a surprise to see her there all dressed up, it meant a lot to me that she went to the effort when she wasn't even going to what is generally thought the more fun part of a wedding.

I've had 2 great pregnancies and this one is going grand too, but really those last 2 weeks you don't feel up to a lot.

And 7 days after i would definitely decline, you'd need at least 2 wks to recover and the chances of baby coming a week early are probably slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Entirely personal choice but I'm currently nearly 38 weeks pregnant and last thing I would want is attending 3 weddings this month.

Feel too heavy, too tired and too disinterested for psyching myself up for a long day's celebration!

Everyone is different though and you might feel like going come the time esp if it's your first baby and you don't have other children to organise and plan for.

:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was at one 9 days before one of my babies was born and got married myself when #3 was 4 weeks old.
    I enjoyed both,I went to bed early (around midnight) at the wedding that we went to but really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

On my first baby I was invited to a wedding on my due date, I was all for going. My partner and consultant didn't feel the same so we rsvp'd no. It worked out for the best as baby was early and was over 2 weeks by my due date. I didn't enjoy pregnancy so maybe not the best to ask but I hated the last few weeks, so big an uncomfortable and no way in the mood for a wedding! Was at a wedding when I was 28 weeks and really enjoyed that one, could dance and eat lots! Also, on that point, by the end of both pregnancies I couldn't eat with the horrendous heartburn and couldn't sleep due to insomnia, was getting on average 2 hours per night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

God no!! RSVP no to them all. And your OH doesn't get a say, like Dolbert said! The last thing I would've felt like at 9 months pregnant is going to a wedding, there's just no way.

And your OH is doing all the food for one of them? :eek: That's prob not the best idea lol. What if you go into labour the day before the wedding? The last thing your OH will wanna do then is have to ditch you in hospital while you are either in labour (and need him for support) or when baby has arrived (and he'll want to stay with you both!!) just to go prepare food for some wedding (and I know it's not any ol wedding but you'll really resent that wedding if baby decides to arrive in that timeframe) because it'll rob ye of those first precious moments.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I went to one I couldn't get out of at 39 weeks, but I'd an easy pregnancy. Even then, there was an understanding with the B&G that we may not be there, depending on when I went into labour.

After the meal, I went upstairs and had a nap, came back down for the dancing (though didn't dance much) Partner didn't drink in case he needed to bring me to a hospital. Went to bed at 2am. I wouldn't go to one post natal. And not if your partner is actually working the wedding.

Why not RSVP for just him and then go yourself to the afters? Then, if it transpires the month or so before the wedding that you feel grand, the B&G are might have cancellations that they might be able to squeeze you into the seating plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

tinkerbell wrote: »
    God no!! RSVP no to them all. And your OH doesn't get a say, like Dolbert said! The last thing I would've felt like at 9 months pregnant is going to a wedding, there's just no way.

And your OH is doing all the food for one of them? :eek: That's prob not the best idea lol. What if you go into labour the day before the wedding? The last thing your OH will wanna do then is have to ditch you in hospital while you are either in labour (and need him for support) or when baby has arrived (and he'll want to stay with you both!!) just to go prepare food for some wedding (and I know it's not any ol wedding but you'll really resent that wedding if baby decides to arrive in that timeframe) because it'll rob ye of those first precious moments.

I was thinking this too. It's a big undertaking. Could you find out from your close friend what's the latest time for them to be able to finalise numbers with their hotel so that they don't incur extra costs of no shows? For us it was the day before so there was a good bit if wiggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

A friend of mine went to a wedding 10 days before her due date, she had a ridiculously easy pregnancy and other than a bump basically had no symptoms, tiredness, nothing. They told the couple they would do their best to come but would let them know for definite the day before the wedding and that was fine with the couple.

As an aside about numbers for the wedding, we had 3 cancellations the day before ours due to a death, and 2 no shows on the day, we were 2 under the minimum numbers and didn't have to pay for them. Some venues are more flexible on these things than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

A friend of mine went to a wedding 10 days before her due date, she had a ridiculously easy pregnancy and other than a bump basically had no symptoms, tiredness, nothing. They told the couple they would do their best to come but would let them know for definite the day before the wedding and that was fine with the couple.

As an aside about numbers for the wedding, we had 3 cancellations the day before ours due to a death, and 2 no shows on the day, we were 2 under the minimum numbers and didn't have to pay for them. Some venues are more flexible on these things than others.

No way I could have done it. The last month my BP went up and I was in hospital three days a week for checks and hospitalised twice. They induced at 39+6. It is dependent on you and your oregnancy but definitely couldn't have done it personally

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

RSVP as attending and see how you feel at the time :) Maybe just go to the meal and slip off home early? I can't imagine anybody is going to expect you to the be the last one standing on the dancefloor or anything! Weddings are exhausting at the best of times never mind while pregnant! If they are in any way reasonable they will understand:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I would have been fine to go to a wedding up to my due date and after. I went 10 days over though and bar being a bit slower moving around and a bit more tired, I felt fine I probably would have declined anything after the date for fear of going into labour at the wedding :D I probably would just talk to the bride and groom and maybe just show my face at the church if you were worried about the long day or if it was any bit of a distance away I'd probably decline. You really won't be able to tell until you hit the 30 something weeks and have a clearer idea of how you feel then! Obviously you'd hate the idea of the bride and groom being out of pocket if you were feeling rotten for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I went to a wedding at 39 weeks pregnant and I found it ok. It was a very good friend's wedding and I felt I had to go, we stayed in the hotel and I went to bed after the meal. It was actually very relaxing, I had a bath and got to chill in a bathrobe, eat chocolates and watch TV.

I had my pregnancy bag in the car ready to go and my husband didn't drink too much in case things started to happen!

tinkerbell wrote: »

Thanks to all for the feedback. It is mostly confirming my suspicions! As some have suggested I think I will talk to the couples in question. I think the added pressure of trying to feel up to multiple weddings, will be an unnecessary worry. And as said, perhaps I will be feeling on top of the world and in that case I will try sneak in, bump and all. ;)

As for the other element, I have been over and over it with my OH. I just pointed out, that having a baby and getting married are two of the most important events in someones life. To put himself in the situation of having to choose between me or the wedding, clearly it will be us but can't let down our friend either. He has just said he is going to find someone to help, look after most of the cooking on the day, etc. But I think in his head he is still the main man on the day. With me and new baby there too. Bless his innocent mind. Ekkkkkk.

I have been too sick to fight the point, but will soon. If I still fail, I will talk to the groom who is our friend and our old business partner.

Thanks again everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

I went to five weddings while pregnant. To be honest they were all trying! At the last one was 34 weeks and it was tough going. I was hot, tired, uncomfortable, conscious of getting through crowds with the bump etc and finding something to wear was a pain.

I'd caution too about planning anything for immediately after the birth. You may have a section or stitches with a vaginal birth, be on pain killers, possibly leaking from the boobs and bleeding quite a lot. I can't imagine getting dressed up for a day at a wedding would ever be something I'd want to do.

People will understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I had a dream pregnancy but found I needed all my energy for work and then crashed and caught up on sleep at the weekends. I could have gone to 1 wedding though but not 3.

I would RSVP no and if I felt fine in the few days before, I would go to either church or afters (not really costing couple anything) or the whole day if I felt up to it.

It's so true though that you won't know til nearer the time. I was at a function at 38 weeks pg. The next day my waters broke - could easily have happened the day of the function.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was extremely sick on 3 of my pregnancies so it would have made no difference if I was 16 weeks pregnant or 36 weeks. I would not have been a fan of travelling too far or being far from a hospital though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice please from those who have already had babies or those in the final few weeks. This is my first pregnancy. And we have already been invited to three weddings the month I am due (possibly one more to come!!)

One will be 12 days before my due due, one 2 days before and the another 7 days after my due date. None of them are family weddings, although one is a very close friend. I am so nervous from everything I have heard about the last few weeks of pregnancy, that it's just awfully uncomfortable, heartburn central and waddle ville ;(

Sounds like the last thing I will want to do is go to a wedding, my OH just keeps saying how amazing I will be and how lovely I will look with my big bump. I think he is excited to show off the bump.

One wedding is very small, and I feel bad RSVPing for a seat I don't think I will use.

Thank you in advance! ;)

I couldn't have felt less like going to a wedding when I was heavily pregnant. I just wouldn't have gone or certainly not to the whole day. As it turned out my baby came almost 4 weeks early ;-)

Thanks again to all who advised and suggested. Feel more confident about not being over the moon excited at the idea of weddings in the last few days/weeks of pregnancy! Or possibly the very first days of our newborn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Whatever about heavily pregnant, there isn't a hope I'd have gone with a newborn or just after giving birth. You'll have hormones, milk coming in and post partum bleeding to contend with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

As Roesy said above, there wouldn't have been a hope of me going postpartum. It's a mission to even get to the shops in those first few weeks!
    I had a good pregnancy and didn't really have any discomfort at the end other than a tired back. Enjoyed my big dinners til the end and had no pressure or anything down below. But even with that 1 wedding would've been the max Id have been up for.
    Also are the weddings near you? I'd have been very dubious about travelling any great distance from the hospital/home!

Advertisement