Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings whilst heavily pregnant

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I've a wedding at 36 weeks 3.5 hours from home, I'm just assuming I'll be fine :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I gave birth around a week after due date, I was flying around the place for the third trimester, loads of energy, no heaviness or pressure down there, no hip or back pain at all. I'd have happily gone to a few weddings even in my last week of pregnancy! And bumps look lovely in fancy dresses. :)

But as above, every pregnancy is different. (For me, the first two trimesters were terrible - I didn't get off all that lightly!)

In your position, I would decline the two not-so-important ones. For your close friend, tell her you'll do your best to make it but - obviously - it'll just depend on how you're feeling on the day. Maybe line up a mutual friend to go with your husband as his guest if you're not up to it? And of course she'll be aware that neither you nor your husband will make it if things kick off around that time!

If I were the bride, I know I'd rather pay x amount for an empty seat on the day, than have a close friend refuse the invite just in case she'd end up wasting my money if she couldn't come in the end. I'd far rather she accepted the invite and decided on the day - and if she wasn't up to it, I'd be on no way put out at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I went to wedding at 37 weeks. I was fine but very tired after. We rsvp but the couple were very aware it was close to due date and anything could happen.

I wore a maxi dress and by evening it was a midi dress I swelled up that much during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Do you want to go? If you don't then just rsvp a decline, however if you would like to go, have a word with the couple and say you will hopefully go but will let them know for definite the week before or whenever their final numbers are due. Don't feel guilty if you decide to decline. I'm sure they will understand.

I went to my SIL wedding two days before my due date. Had a great time, but then I had a ridiculously easy pregnancy. Wore a lovely dress and high heels, danced the night away and jumped up and down to House of Pain trying to shake the baby out :)

If you do decide to go, I'd wear a long dress as your ankles and feet may well be swollen. Take a flat pair of shoes and don't be afraid to rest in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

As ncmc said, if you are having an uncomplicated pregnancy and you want to go, go. If you are exhausted, bloated, sick or just simply don't want to go, dont.

I went to a wedding on my second when I was 38 weeks pregnant 2.5 hours from home. I had gone a week early on my first. Didn't end up going till a week late on number 2. My consultant checked me out and said she didn't "think" anything was going to happen in the next couple days so just to go if I wanted. But just not to do too much dancing :).

We went to the hotel, didn't go to the Ceremony. Just chilled out and went in around 4. Had the dinner and stayed until around 12ish. Was grand. Only bit I didn't like was knowing I couldn't get tipsy with everybody else.

Went to a wedding 1 month post birth. Again not for the whole day. Just turned up for the dinner and afters as I was breastfeeding. OH went for the whole day. I wouldn't have gone if it was less than a month after I don't think. Ud be wrecked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Wholeheartedly

Sligo1 wrote: »
    As ncmc said, if you are having an uncomplicated pregnancy and you want to go, go. If you are exhausted, bloated, sick or just simply don't want to go, don't.

I agree it's as simple as that on the day, and that's how I will approach anything else in July! Four very important birthdays that month too. It was more should I RSVP yes or no. I thought it was more of a big deal to say yes and not turn up on the day, but a few posters have said it's not that big a deal, which is helpful to know. I have lightly mentioned it to one of the couples and also my mother in law (as she will be at one of the other weddings) and each time, they were like 'oh don't be silly, of course you will be there!' so I was starting to think that I was worried for nothing, but by the sounds of it the majority here agree they wouldn't have been up to or in the mood for weddings in the week or after D-day! ;)

I think I will RSVP with a hopefully yes to all but one, as it's a long way away and not too important for me, OH will go with his family anyways, as it's a childhood friend.

Thanks for the views and advice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I would also say if you rsvp yes, also ring the bride/groom and explain that although you are pretty sure you will be there that as you will be heavily pregnant, there is always a chance you may have to possibly decline closer to the time. But hopefully u will be there with bells on. That's what I said as my safety or get out clause. Seriously, no couple is going to mind if you decline closer to the time considering you will be heavily pregant. The vast majority of people would understand.

P.s. Not a hope would I have been able for 3 full day wedding whilst heavily pregnant. So just take it as it comes.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy :)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I would also say if you rsvp yes, also ring the bride/groom and explain that although you are pretty sure you will be there that as you will be heavily pregnant, there is always a chance you may have to possibly decline closer to the time. But hopefully u will be there with bells on. That's what I said as my safety or get out clause. Seriously, no couple is going to mind if you decline closer to the time considering you will be heavily pregant. The vast majority of people would understand.

P.s. Not a hope would I have been able for 3 full day wedding whilst heavily pregnant. So just take it as it comes.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy :)

Good advice. I like the idea of a "get out clause" ;)

To be honest 3 weddings in one month, even not pregnant, is a lot :)

Hopefully I will reap the rewards of a disastrous awful first four months with a good second half. Keeping positive!!

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I was my sisters bridesmaid when my son was 10 days old. No issues, apart from looking after a newborn who just slept 90% of the time! It was great :D

Don't think I could have handled the wedding as well if it was the last month of pregnancy, I just felt like a whale and thought I was hideous!! I have a wedding to go to when I'm 15 weeks, I'm not even looking forward to that :o

I was my sisters bridesmaid when my son was 10 days old. No issues, apart from looking after a newborn who just slept 90% of the time! It was great :o

I am so impressed at the idea of someone being bridesmaid TEN days after giving birth!! Amazing. We are definitely the stronger sex. My OH is moany for about 4 weeks with a cough and stuffy nose! ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I went to one at 36 weeks and I was exhausted and left at 10pm. There's not a hope I'd go to a wedding either 2 weeks of due date/ day I have the baby.
    I'd really urge you to at least rsvp to the one after your due date, you'll either be overdue or have a newborn. Plus rmember your milk if bfing or not will come in 3/4/5 days after having the baby. I think it'd be really unfair on yourself to put you under any pressure to attend any of them, people tend to forget how physically hard giving birth is. You need time to relax and recover. I'm 26 weeks now and tbh if I was invited to any weddings between now and the baby being at least 2 months I'd be saying no, I know a wedding is extremely important, but unless it's family or very very close friends I wouldn't be putting myself under pressure to go.

Advertisement