Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bills have suddenly doubled!

Options
  • 06-02-2015 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

tI hope someone can help me here- living 7years in same apartment, no new appliances nothing has changed yet my last 3bills have been double what they were before. As I pay by direct debit I didnt notice until the bank told me my account was empty! I have called to have the meter checked as there must be a fault but is there anything else I can do, what aboutthe extra payments that have already been taken?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Are they estimate bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Roomstyle

I think one is estimated but two are actual meter readings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi Roomstyle,

Thank you for your message.

Hallo dare is correct to ask if your bills have been estimated. If you had a number of estimations previously, this may explain the difference in what you're being billed. We would be happy to look into this for you if you send us a private message with your name, full address, account number and telephone number or date of birth. You would also need to confirm you're the account holder.

Have you spoken with somebody in Electric Ireland in relation to the call out or have you spoken directly with ESB Networks? You may have been advised of this already, but we just wish to make sure you're fully aware of the procedure when sending out a technician to check for a meter fault. The meter is a highly reliable instrument and it is unlikely that there is a fault. We would always recommend that you rule everything else out before requesting a call out for an ESB Networks technician. Any internal faults would be your own responsibility and your own electrical contractor would be able to investigate. Have you done an appliance check? This would involve turning off all of your appliances and checking that the meter was no longer moving. If you have the older type meter the spinning disc would move when the electricity is in use. If you have the newer digital meter, there is a red light that flashes when your electricity is being used. If the meter doesn't stop, there is a fault. As it could be an internal issue, you may need your own electrical contractor to investigate beforehand. There would be a charge incurred on your next bill of €190.68 if there is no fault with the meter even if there is an internal fault as we would not be in a position to investigate anything other than the meter or the external wiring in your premises. If there is a fault, then the technician will complete a report and our billing department would go through your billing history and ascertain whether there is any overcharge or undercharge. This will take a number of weeks to complete and you can ask for your direct debit to be held until such a time as the matter is resolved.

You may also wish to check the type of appliances that you have in the property and what they cost to run. We have a handy appliance calculator that you can download as an app or simply view on the web: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/reduce-your-costs/appliance-calculators.jsp

If you've any queries, do let us know.

Regards,
    Aoife

Advertisement