Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Build Recommendations (i5/i7)

Options
  • 06-02-2015 11:05am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently I bought a new 23" IPS Full HD screen to replace my 720p screen for my desktop, and upon plugging it in it became fairly obvious that my CPU is not coping with the power needed to output 1080p to the monitor since it's maxing out on 1080p videos on Youtube and jumping frames and freezing, whilst the Geforce GT650 graphics card sits there at about 20% load and barely breaking sweat.

Therefore I think the time has come to commit my E6550 Core 2 Duo machine to retirement over the next few months. Honestly it's served me well for 7 years since building it but the new screen just shows it's time to go and replace it with something more modern.

So my requirements are
    - Core i5/i7
    - 8GB RAM (with room to upgrade to 16GB)
    - 256GB SSD Drive
    - Motherboard
    - Case
    - PSU

I will bring forward
    - Geforce GT650 Graphics card
    - Blu Ray SATA Drive.
    - 1TB Samsung SATA Hard Drive for general storage.

Budget should be no more than 400-500 where possible. I do not have huge needs, as you see my existing system serves me well, but I just need some more power and room to grow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

devnull wrote: »
    Recently I bought a new 23" IPS Full HD screen to replace my 720p screen for my desktop, and upon plugging it in it became fairly obvious that my CPU is not coping with the power needed to output 1080p to the monitor since it's maxing out on 1080p videos on Youtube and jumping frames and freezing, whilst the Geforce GT650 graphics card sits there at about 20% load and barely breaking sweat.

Therefore I think the time has come to commit my E6550 Core 2 Duo machine to retirement over the next few months. Honestly it's served me well for 7 years since building it but the new screen just shows it's time to go and replace it with something more modern.

So my requirements are
    - Core i5/i7
    - 8GB RAM (with room to upgrade to 16GB)
    - 256GB SSD Drive
    - Motherboard
    - Case
    - PSU

I will bring forward
    - Geforce GT650 Graphics card
    - Blu Ray SATA Drive.
    - 1TB Samsung SATA Hard Drive for general storage.

Budget should be no more than 400-500 where possible. I do not have huge needs, as you see my existing system serves me well, but I just need some more power and room to grow.

Fill in the template.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bud1970

Advertisement