Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue cloning 32GB SSD to Intel 480GB SSD

Options
  • 06-02-2015 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Got a new PC in work which was underspecced by a supplier of ours, and only came with a 32GB SSD. With recovery partitions, Windows 7 OS, etc, we were left with very little space.

IT dept. copied the data of the original drive to a much larger one, and initially it worked fine. After I installed some software and copied some files over, windows would no longer boot, giving a "0xc00000e9 - Unexpected I/O error has occurred" error message.

Tried a second time, and same error occurred after copying files.

The data which I copied over is on the larger SSD, and is visable when it's connected to another PC using a USB adapter.

Tried a second 480GB drive. Same story again.

Original 32GB SSD from which the others were ghosted is fine, but is just too small to continue with.

Any reason why this might be occurring?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sounds like a possible bad disk? I presume you've tried the usual - resit the RAM, Hard Disk etc.

btw, 32 GB disk space... jaysus. I hope you gave your supplier a slap on the wrist for that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bitwise images to SSDs from other SSDs or HDDs have been known to cause trouble before. Do a fresh install.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ED E wrote: »
    Bitwise images to SSDs from other SSDs or HDDs have been known to cause trouble before. Do a fresh install.

I can confirm this. Tried cloning my old 128GB SSD to a new 240GB one and Windows did not work right on the new disk. I definitely recomment doing a backup and a clean windows install.
    Saved me a lot of headache in the end the clean install. I had tried two pieces of cloning software, Easus and Paragon, neither worked.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭kirving

Thanks for the info, I'll do a fresh install in that case. Odd as to why it worked fine onc, and then failed to boot after I loaded some stuff on.

Come to think of it, I may have put a couple of files onto the smaller sss before it was copied the second time, explaining why the second copy wouldn't boot at all.

The 32gb one is actually an SLC, or single layer cell SSD, rather than the more common, cheaper MLC (multi layer cell) versions. They're more reliabl, but cost multiples of what a general consumer spec one does. Actually a smart move by the supplier in that this PC has got to be both fast and reliable, but had to balance cost with storage space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

aye SLD drives still cost an arm and a leg. I'd recommend you run a diagnostic on the new drive just to be sure. We had a new 128GB SSD drive complete fail recently. Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement