Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with television licence

Options
  • 06-02-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I really hope someone can help me. I had a television licence which was due for renewal in august 2013. The problem is that I had the dish for the free view channels but everytime there was a bit of wind the channels would go. I had the dish replaces twice between 2010 and 2012. I did not see the point in getting a sky dish as I am never really at home and I am unable to get signal on my television for the rte channels. My television is saorview approvided so I should not need to buy a separate saorview box. So since early 2013, I have not used my television at all to watch tv, as it was a pain always having to find someone to go up a ladder and adjust the dish for the signal to go again within a day or two. I still have the television in my sitting room and it is only ever used for my child to play the playstation. I am hardly ever at home and I catch up on the soaps at night time through the internet on the laptop. I have received the normal tv licence renewal letters and when I am at home I am constantly in fair of opening the door incase it's a tv licence inspector. I have came to the stage that I would rather just pay the licence than be hiding in my house, however, if I renew it I will end up having to pay two years tv licence. Is there anyway I can get a licence as of from now without having to renew it? I have been considering getting the licence in a friends name as a new television licence but I would prefer is the licence was in my own name and I could do a direct debit?? I would really appreciate any help you could give me.. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Buy it as a new licence, Doubt they will ask any questions sometimes TV's break and people don't have the money to buy a new one for a year or two, As its after 12 months you would be required to get a new one anyway as per there site

https://www.tvlicence.ie/homepage.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

If it were me I would sell the tv and buy a computer monitor.
    I think that if it does not have a tunner tou don't need a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If it is about 24" you could replace it with a monitor (just be sure it has a HDMI port for the PlayStation), no TV licence needed then. The price of monitors beings to get expensive if you are used to bigger though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

If it were me I would sell the tv and buy a computer monitor.
    I think that if it does not have a tunner tou don't need a license.

With a broadband connection a computer monitor is capable of receiving the likes of the RTE player so the OP won't get away with not paying for a TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shove06

Will I not have to pay for a licence from aug 2013 to 2014? The last time I went in to pay the licence it was around February 2013 but the licence was suppose to have been renewed in august 2012. The girl in the post office couldn't find my renewal on the system so she issued me a new licence dated from the date I went in but a week or two later I got a letter and it had back dated the licence to when it was due (august 2012)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Is there someone else you could put the licence under?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I did similar last year.

My TV broke and I didn't bother with it. My license was due for renewal in May. I didn't bother about it.
    I got the reminder letters monthly but I had no TV so didn't care.

In August I got a TV and went to get a license. The site said I needed to pay since May. Feck that. I signed up for a new license in my wifes name and paid for it since August.
    https://www.tvlicence.ie/PersonalDetails.aspx

For my old license they kept sending out reminder letters until Dec where they said they were going to send an inspector. I just emailed them the old license number and the new license number and told them to stop. They replied saying they'd updated their database and haven't heard from them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shove06

I can put it in someone else's name, do you no if I could change it back into my own name after a year if I do that so I could start paying the monthly payment instead of the lump sum? I just don't want to end up in court. I wouldn't mind paying it at all if the channels worked and I was watching television al the time! Actually I forgot to mention before Christmas there was a letter put in my letter box from the inspector, he obviously called when I wasn't here and it had ticked that he had seen the dish 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

If you put it in someones name who is not living in the house that may cause problems. Ring there service line and ask about getting a new licence just say about damaged equipment just don't and then ask about get the licence from today as you where not using it for the last year or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

KKkitty wrote: »
    With a broadband connection a computer monitor is capable of receiving the likes of the RTE player so the OP won't get away with not paying for a TV license.

That's utter tripe. Even the Citizen's Information interpretation would beg to differ:
    If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it. Failure to produce evidence of a television licence to an inspector can result in a court appearance and on conviction, you can receive a substantial fine. People who have been fined and who have breached court orders directing them to pay their television licence can be imprisoned.

You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, the computer must not be able to receive a signal distributed by conventional television broadcasting networks, for example, cable, satellite or aerial.

If the current television license covered content delivered over IP (for want of a better term), then there would never have been a need to suggest the broadcasting charge, after all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Shove06, just wondering if you got sorted. Get new licence or any difficulty with arrears ? Would appreciate advice on outcome please, thanks

Advertisement