Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think I'm pregnant but negative tests

Options
  • 06-02-2015 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I’m about 2 ½ weeks late but have had 2 negative home tests.

I’m going to try take another test in the morning as I’ve read that the hormone in the evening is lower so tests can be negative. I feel some symptoms but not all the time. Initially I had instant tiredness like my blood sugar suddenly got low even though I’d eaten then I’ve had some cramping and now I don’t feel too tired during the day but when the alarm goes off in the morning after an extra hour’s sleep to my norm, I feel exhausted and am a bit more sensitive to normal things going on. I plan to wait for another couple of weeks or until I miss my next period date and take yet another test before going to the doctor. My husband is less impatient than me but I really want to know and not keep going wondering or taking tests and getting disappointed.

Has anyone has the same issue or even understand the hardness of the waiting period? Hopefully my impatience is a symptom too and I’m not going mad! 

I’m supposed to fly for work next week and I’ve heard mixed things about flying at the start but I obviously can’t not go if I “think” I am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

pipster wrote: »

I’m going to try take another test in the morning as I’ve read that the hormone in the evening is lower so tests can be negative. I feel some symptoms but not all the time. Initially I had instant tiredness like my blood sugar suddenly got low even though I’d eaten then I’ve had some cramping and now I don’t feel too tired during the day but when the alarm goes off in the morning after an extra hour’s sleep to my norm, I feel exhausted and am a bit more sensitive to normal things going on. I plan to wait for another couple of weeks or until I miss my next period date and take yet another test before going to the doctor. My husband is less impatient than me but I really want to know and not keep going wondering or taking tests and getting disappointed.

Has anyone has the same issue or even understand the hardness of the waiting period? Hopefully my impatience is a symptom too and I’m not going mad! 

I’m supposed to fly for work next week and I’ve heard mixed things about flying at the start but I obviously can’t not go if I “think” I am.

I would of thought 2 weeks after a missed period a pregnancy test would of showed a positive by now? Unless you ovualted late?
    I think the 1St response tests are the best for testing early!
    Good luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Is it usual for your period to be this late when it is late, or is this very unusual for you? Tbh I would go to the doctor now, the waiting for another entire month would kill me, by that point you'd be about 8 weeks, and should easily be getting positive tests (I know some people don't get them until later than others). For comparison I got positive tests when I was a few hours late in the afternoon (so not first morning urine), so by 2.5 weeks most people would definitely have enough of the hormone, even in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

The test the doctor will do is the same as an over the counter dipstick test from the chemist. If yours is negative/positive, your GP's will be the same. Breeeathe, test in the mornings, and take each day at a time, try to get on with your life while you wait. If you're TTC, keep at it. Good luck!! :-) xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Do you know when you ovulated? You can't really say you're "late" unless you do. The time from your period to ovulation can vary from month to month but the time from ovulation to your period (or a positive preg test) won't, it is always 10-16days, so unless you know when you ovulated within a day or 2 then you can't really say that your period is late, it might just be a long cycle i.e. you ovulated later in your cycle than you normally do.

If you know when you ovulated (using ovulation prediction kits and/or body basal temping) and you're more than 16 days past that date now then i'd say you're late but if that's the case and you're pregnant most home pregnancy tests would show a +, it may not be what you want to hear but it's a lot more likely that you ovulated later in your cycle than normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

My wife did a test that came out negative did one a week later and she was 3 or 4 weeks, The tests test for a specific hormone normally produced when pregnant its is very possible that your body is not producing enough to show positive even when your a few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JapaneseLove

I have my doubts about those thests. My girlfriend was pregnant and she done a few of them all negative. But she was pregnant. Doctor said it can happen. Then just for a laugh she done one when she was 3 months along and it still came up negative. The little mad man running around my house says otherwise.

They dont always work.

fannymagee wrote: »
    The test the doctor will do is the same as an over the counter dipstick test from the chemist. If yours is negative/positive, your GP's will be the same. Breeeathe, test in the mornings, and take each day at a time, try to get on with your life while you wait. If you're TTC, keep at it. Good luck!! :-) xxx

I actually mean because it could be something else that isn't pregnancy, and if they did a blood test as opposed to a urine test they might find out either way sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Last year I was two weeks late getting my period (highly unusual for me), I thought I must be pregnant!!!
    Did 3 tests at different times of day, all negative, period arrived late but arrived, I just don't know what happened but never happened before or since then, I hope you get the result you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

On my second I knew I was pregnant a week before I got a positive result, my boobs were killing me! First thing in the morning is best time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

The test I believe test for hcg. A hormone present in the uring of men and pregnant women if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pipster

Thanks very much for the all the responses.

Since coming off the pill I had my period at the end of each month for 3 consecutive months. The 1st day of my last period was 21st December I think. When I checked the ovulation date based on this date (not going into the detail ) conceiving should have happened. I had a tiniest bit of spotting at the end of January but no way a period and not normal for me either.

I’ve read up about false negatives but as already said, I expect at this rate my hormone levels would be high enough?

It’s all a bit of a strange situation for me as from thinking about it way too much I’m starting to doubt myself and don’t want to go to the doctor if I’m not as I’ll feel like a bit of an egit which I know is silly.

BTW – can’t believe some of the negative but positive stories 

On my second I knew I was pregnant a week before I got a positive result, my boobs were killing me! First thing in the morning is best time

Is that a very common symptom as I haven't gotten that?

It's a very common symptom, not one I have gotten at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Take a First Response test first thing in the morning before you've had anything to drink as your urine will be more concentrated then. Not much point doing evening tests at such an early stage as the urine won't be concentrated enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Take a First Response test first thing in the morning before you've had anything to drink as your urine will be more concentrated then. Not much point doing evening tests at such an early stage as the urine won't be concentrated enough.

If you're 2.5 weeks late it shouldn't matter what time of day you take a test (if the op is sure she is that late). I got a very strong positive test in the evening when my period was 4 days late. If the OP ovulated when she normally did (going by the fact her last 3 periods were a month apart) she would be 6 weeks pregnant - plenty late enough to get a positive test whenever.

OP - if you do do a morning test and it's still negative, but you still think you are pregnant your GP can do a blood test for you to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I had it on both my pregnancies but I was still feeding my first when I got pregnant on second and feeding was excruciating, hence why I was so convinced even though the tests said otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My wife took a first response test a week ago and a clearblue. First response gave a faint second line the clear blue said not pregnant.
    Took both again today and both say pregnant (clearblue says 2-3). Moral of the tale, if first response gives a second line after a few minutes, no matter how faint, start looking up baby names!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks for the responses. So I took a First Response and Clear Blue test first thing in the morning and both were negative so it seems that I'm not. I'll wait to see if I get this month's period and if not then I'll go to the doctor.

Thanks for the responses. So I took a First Response and Clear Blue test first thing in the morning and both were negative so it seems that I'm not. I'll wait to see if I get this month's period and if not then I'll go to the doctor.

Aww sorry to hear that. Hang in there & keep the faith xxxx

Sorry to hear that - fingers crossed for next month!

• Advertisement

I've been trying to kinda forget about it and see if I miss next month. If I do then I'll do another test and go to the doctor.

When I thought I was pregnant initially but believed it was too early to confirm, I avoided alcohol and certain food but now feel a bit delusional if I keep it up. I'm an infrequent drinker anyway but sometimes have 1 and probably max of 2 glasses of wine at the weekend. Should I avoid alcohol and certain food or am I being a bit mad? Surely people who have a surprise pregnancy drink and eat what they want until they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

I've been trying to kinda forget about it and see if I miss next month. If I do then I'll do another test and go to the doctor.

When I thought I was pregnant initially but believed it was too early to confirm, I avoided alcohol and certain food but now feel a bit delusional if I keep it up. I'm an infrequent drinker anyway but sometimes have 1 and probably max of 2 glasses of wine at the weekend. Should I avoid alcohol and certain food or am I being a bit mad? Surely people who have a surprise pregnancy drink and eat what they want until they know.

You will probably get different answers on this but a small amount of alcohol wont do any damage, Its better for you to be relaxed and happy if trying so i wouldn't give up something that helps you relax until your sure your pregnant. I wouldn't recommend binge drinking though

It sounds like you have a lovely healthy, balanced lifestyle as is, so relax and get on with your life as normal :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

It takes about 7-8wks for the placenta to form, before this nothing is being passed from mum to baby so i wouldn't worry about the odd drink in very early pregnancy. And anyhow the occassional drink is ok even when the placenta is formed. Enjoy it while you can :)

Did many people get small bumps on their chest when pregnant? I recently have gotten them and have never had anything like it before so my mind is jumping the gun again 😊

OP - I really think you should see your GP sooner rather than later. I know you said you were trying not to think about it and see if you miss another month but it's obviously on your mind if you're considering if you have pregnancy symptoms. Also, if you're not pregnant and there's a reason your period has not arrived you could be delaying when you can actually get pregnant by not getting it sorted now.

It's a crappy situation for you, being in limbo like that, I know I wouldn't have the patience to wait anyway! It'll just drive you mad wondering if every small change or twinge is a sign of pregnancy

So turns out I'm not pregnant and I randomly missed a month. I'm going to keep trying. Has anyone used those ovulation kits?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MsGrumpy

Yea I've used the ovulation tests, bought the cheap ones off the internet. Worked perfectly, I found out through using them that I ovulate early on day 11. I fell pregnant the first month of trying and am currently 7 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Babypandaclub

So turns out I'm not pregnant and I randomly missed a month. I'm going to keep trying. Has anyone used those ovulation kits?

I am going through this now.

My period is two weeks late. Tests, clear blue & tesco ones (taken in the morning) have come back negative.

My period has been irregular before bit the longest it has been late is 9 days.

I had 3 days of spotting ( which I hope is implantation bleeding) but no positive tests.

Wish I knew ....

• Advertisement

I am going through this now.

My period is two weeks late. Tests, clear blue & tesco ones (taken in the morning) have come back negative.

My period has been irregular before bit the longest it has been late is 9 days.

I had 3 days of spotting ( which I hope is implantation bleeding) but no positive tests.

Wish I knew ....

Sorry to hear that. I had spotting too but still got my period a few weeks later. All I can say is to try not think too much about it (even though I couldnt!!) and not take loads of tests as it's just torture. I'm hoping that I'll get a positive this month but trying to think about enjoying trying next month so I don't put pressure on. Keep us posted.

Advertisement