Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going mad

Options
  • 06-02-2015 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Bought a Toshiba satellite few weeks back.came installed windows with 8.1 (yuk) some strange searchengine called Vosteran which i kicked out and all. kinds of odd programs. Once I restarted it, to my surprise, it takes AT LEAST ONE HOUR to get to the main windows screen where I can go online from. Next to that it's extremely slow, can't run netflix and is generally in serious danger of being fecked against the wall. Is there anything I can do to fix all these issues or am i better off returning the piece of *** to Curry and ask for a a refund? (i'm still inside the return period)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you have access to another machine I would create a bootable USB with a linux distro on it (See Pendrivelinux). Boot from the USB and if the machine runs fine then the hardware is OK.

If you want a Windows OS on it then take it back and ask them to reinstall the Operating system without the bloatware.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It could be a failing hard disk. No matter how bloated, it should not take that long to boot on a new Windows 8 machine. Take it back.

Have you installed anything? I would go through your programs and uninstall all the junk. This should help your issue somewhat, but since you say it takes an hour I reckon this machine was dead on arrival and has a hardware fault.

Booting from a USB device, wont test the hard disk, however you could use some hard disk diagnostic software to check this.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

It could be a failing hard disk. No matter how bloated, it should not take that long to boot on a new Windows 8 machine. Take it back.

Have you installed anything? I would go through your programs and uninstall all the junk. This should help your issue somewhat, but since you say it takes an hour I reckon this machine was dead on arrival and has a hardware fault.

Booting from a USB device, wont test the hard disk, however you could use some hard disk diagnostic software to check this.

yeah going to do that. Bringing my work lappie home tonight to avoid touching the toshiba or it is going to end up in pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

I

I didn't install anything...just kicked ****e out lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Take it back, If it takes an hour to boot there is something seriously wrong. Never owned a toshiba, but they will probably have a hidden partition with an image on it, restore image, 10 minutes, all done, if that doesnt fix it then maybe hardware. If it is in the return period all good.

Just for future reference when you get a new machine there is always loads of bundled crapware on there, the pc companies get paid by the software companies to bundle it. This automates the removal of it.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

I removed a lot of crap from one particular laptop today, and "Vosteran" was on it and was recognised by "Malwarebytes" and "adwcleaner" as malware.

Besides that, (As previous posters said) it does sound like a fecked HDD.

Of all the failed Hard Drives I come across, Toshiba drives make up about 90% of them...

You could try this (not sure what model you have)

To restore your laptop to its factory settings, follow these steps:

Warning: All data on the hard drive will be erased. Back up any important data before proceeding. Make sure the computer is connected to a power supply and do not switch it off or restart during the process.

• 1) Hold down the power button for ten seconds to switch off your machine
      • Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.
    • 2) Press and hold the zero key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook
    • 3) When the machine starts beeping, release the zero key
    • 4) When prompted by the warning screen, select Yes to continue with the system recovery
    • 5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software and click Next
    • 6) Select Recover to out-of-box state and Click Next again
    • 7) Click Next to Start the recovery

Advertisement