Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Fruit Trees

• 06-02-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I purchased 4 Aldi fruit trees on Thursday. My plan had been to plant them today, but I'm worried that it might still be too cold. They are 2 year old trees, and as seems common with Aldi/Lidl, there is no info on rootstock etc.

Did a quick search that turned up nothing except discussions on whether they were bad or good.

Also, i have seen on some other sites that 1 year old trees would need an initial pruning of about 1/3 the height to balance out the roots, does this hold true for 2 year old trees as well.

Please forgive any stupidity in the above post, this is my first attempt to grow anything other than grass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭macraignil

Bare root fruit trees are sold this time of year as they are dormant and more likely to survive transplanting. It should be OK to plant any time up to March but the sooner they go in the ground the better. Make sure soil around roots is well compacted to avoid frost pockets killing roots. If you are expecting bad weather an organic mulch around the base of the tree of compost or manure is said to provide some protection. Before planting is a good time to add support which most fruit tress will need for their first couple of years. If you are in an exposed area two strong posts with a cross piece of timber and rubber tree ties might be needed. What fruit did you get? I planted Gala apples from ALDI and they are still small compared to the Bramley cooking apples which have grown to twice the size over the last two or three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Now is the time to plant them. The only time you avoid planting is when the ground is frozen.

No, there is no need to prune just yet. When the tree matures a bit and is producing fruit, then you prune. Correct pruning allows for more fruit to be produced. Although you should cut off any branch that looks dead or is crossing another branch.

I bought one of those fruit trees and it produced it's first fruits last summer after only two years in the ground - they were small and the birds ate into them but it was faster than I hoped for.

Choose the position wisely: free-draining, with solid support, plenty of light and a generous source of nutrients (manure or granular fertiliser)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

Excellent answers above to guide you. Would soil ph have any impact? I think soil ph affects the taste of the fruit, and possible survival of the tree...although ive seen a lot different fruit trees producing marvellous crops over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭cletus

Folks, thanks very much for all the advice. Got the trees in today, so we'll see in a couple of months whether we get any buds or leaves. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

It takes them a few years to come right . Protect the bark from the rabbits/ hares they skinned one of mine lately that was planted over 5 years. There was a massive crop of apples on it last year. Don't know if it will survive now

• Advertisement

My trees are planted and staked, and I'm thinking of putting down some stone around the base. Do I need to put down a membrane of some description first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Depends what you mean by stones - if its just some chippings/mulch then membrane is a must really. Your young trees need 2 main things to thrive - as you already have them staked - grass and weeds kept at bay and regular watering in their first year, especially if we get a dry spell. For that reason too you should remove any fruit in its first year. (Seems a shame but it puts a lot of strain on the tree to establish itself and develop fruit). After that they should manage well enough but its a good idea to have a weed/grass free area at the base of the trunk for several years.

Pebbleswithquarzite.jpg

These are the stones

Are they pretty small? Hard to tell - if you could put a coin or something into the shot for comparison :) But as long as they allow moisture down to the tree, are not actually rubbing against the bark and are kept weed free it should be fine.

Sorry, here are some of the stones in my hand for scale

• Advertisement

They should be fine - just make sure they don't become compacted over time and prevent water getting to the tree. And be careful if you mow or strim nearby -- they can ruin blades and be dangerous if they get tossed around at high speed.

Thanks for all the help folks

Advertisement