Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30Kmh speed limit in housing estates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Our estate doesn't need a limit that everyone will just ignore, we need speed bumps..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mort5000 wrote: »
    Our estate doesn't need a limit that everyone will just ignore, we need speed bumps..

Speed bumps aren't the answer.

ted1 wrote: »

It is for us.

It is for us.

So have you looked into speed bumps and seen studies of their effectiveness ?

So you have looked into speed limits and seen studies on their effectiveness?
    If you're going to make a blanket statement like "Speed bumps aren't the answer" without any backing or evidence, don't expect sensible replies.

Speed limits mean nothing without policing IN OUR ESTATE.

Only thing to slow people down is a physical deterrent.
    Traffic circles can't be added without changing road layout.
    4 way stop can't be added without changing road layout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe you could link to something you think is useful.

Maybe they should put in speed camera's who's fines go to the local authority, for works in the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So you have looked into speed limits and seen studies on their effectiveness?
    If you're going to make a blanket statement like "Speed bumps aren't the answer" without any backing or evidence, don't expect sensible replies.

Speed limits mean nothing without policing IN OUR ESTATE.

Only thing to slow people down is a physical deterrent.
    Traffic circles can't be added without changing road layout.
    4 way stop can't be added without changing road layout.
    Then change the road layout? :)

Take a look at DMURS

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No you dont. Have people any idea how low the accident rates actually are in Dublin, they are among the lowest in Europe.

Ask a mechanic how useful speed bumps are. Ask an ambulance driver how useful speed bumps are. Ask a person with chronic back pain or any other joint problem how much they love driving on them.

They are a bloody nuisance.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No you dont. Have people any idea how low the accident rates actually are in Dublin, they are among the lowest in Europe.

Ask a mechanic how useful speed bumps are. Ask an ambulance driver how useful speed bumps are. Ask a person with chronic back pain or any other joint problem how much they love driving on them.

They are a bloody nuisance.

You're going to supply the garda to stand around and stop the speeding?
    Excellent. Looking forward to that.

The point is that is may reduce speed but has other negative consequences.

If your road is plagued by speeding you might be happy to live with the disadvantages.

I hate them. But I'm happy to have them on our nearest main road. It was a race track before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

There's other ways to slow cars down. Read DMURS, as suggested above. Anyone coming aling suggesting speed bumps clearly hasn't done their homework. Highly reactionary "solution" that shows little engagement with the problem and how to remedy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Speedbumps are harmful to the environment, to vehicles and from what research I read back when I cared, more dangerous than a road without speedbumps in general. Speedbumps that slow people to below the road limit significantly change driver behaviour that leads to a higher prevalence of accidents.

If one person is the issue, report to the Guards. Repeatedly. Get anyone else who is affected to do the same. A gardai doesn't need to witness the speeding in order to progress to a prosecution.

My car weighs 1600kg and from factory has a sports suspension which is very stiff and keeps the car relatively low - speed bumps do serious damage to it, both cosmetic and mechanical. Is anyone familiar with Rockfield Grove/Shelton Avenue in Perrystown?

Stillorgan Park Road has speedramps that will let you do 50km/h without anything more than a pleasant lifting sensation.

Considering the abysmal standard of cycling facilities that are being built. Do you realistically think DMURS has a hope of being implemented to any useful standard by the same authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

speed ramps slow down traffic, but also distract drivers so not a proper solution. drivers now focus on the ramps instead of the road and surroundings. the ones like 3 or 4 humps across the roads are particularly dangerous as drivers on both sides usually swerve to drive over the center of them to reduce the "bump" and since they place one of the humps near the center line leads to head on crashes.
    at the very least, ramps need to be standardized, instead we have mole hills to mountains

It's a sad reflection on driving standards when people choose driving head on at oncoming traffic rather than slowing down for a ramp.

Driving over ramps too fast will certain damage your car. Especially if its a daily route. Too fast might be very slowly depending on the ramp. But you have to consider that it's not the occasional speeder that caused them to be installed. It's a lot of speeding constantly over a long period of time.

I hate ramps. But they are the cheapest option. If you want something that works better it's going to cost more. Even if its more court effective over a longer period.

At some point we'll have some sort of transponder/black box that reports back a record of a cars speed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

A lot of people approach speed bumps like I do. Without: steady speed in 3rd or 4th gear.
    With: never use 4th gear, approach ramp in 3rd, brake, switch to 2nd, accelerate away and if next bump is too close (as they usually are) stay in 2nd. Nice and loud. And yes, you have to pay more attention to the bumps than to playing children.
    Speed bumps cause people to slow and accelerate, brake, switch gears and rev the engine much higher. If you like more noise and erratic driving, speed bumps are the solution for you.

beauf wrote: »
    It's a sad reflection on driving standards when people choose driving head on at oncoming traffic rather than slowing down for a ramp.

Driving over ramps too fast will certain damage your car. Especially if its a daily route. Too fast might be very slowly depending on the ramp. But you have to consider that it's not the occasional speeder that caused them to be installed. It's a lot of speeding constantly over a long period of time.

I hate ramps. But they are the cheapest option. If you want something that works better it's going to cost more. Even if its more court effective over a longer period.

Gob****es often accelerate between and break hard. There no the answer

At some point we'll have some sort of transponder/black box that reports back a record of a cars speed.

TBH 30km is to fast for housing estates. I'm lucky in our estate there is a green when you come in and people know that there are always kids about so nearly all drivers slow right down.

Gob****es often accelerate between and break hard. There no the answer

Has to be done, the speed for going over a ramp sometimes has to be near walking pace, so of course you have to speed up coming off the ramp. That's what they do, force people to brake, switch gear and accelerate coming off them. One simply cannot advocate speed ramps and then complain when they FOD.(function as designed)

• Advertisement

Has to be done, the speed for going over a ramp sometimes has to be near walking pace, so of course you have to speed up coming off the ramp. That's what they do, force people to brake, switch gear and accelerate coming off them. One simply cannot advocate speed ramps and then complain when they FOD.(function as designed)

So you agree they are telling you to slow down, and getting you to actually slow down. Repeatedly. But you're going to ignore all those messages and drive at the speed you want.

The only solution to that is enforcement that's harsh enough to change your behaviour. Would points and a ban work?.

For me it was making my journey so time consuming that I looked for alternatives.

So what you want me to do? Drive walking pace? Of course not! You slow down for the ramp, stick it in 2nd and get back up to speed again. As long as its within the posted limit, I'm doing nothing wrong. Unless I'm braking the changing gear and accelerating law. Oh wait, there is no such law!

The inference is that the ramps change your driving so that its dangerous. There is a law against dangerous driving.

The implication is that your average speed will be slower, if you have to to keep slowing down. Thats the aim of the bumps to lower the average speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Novel solution.

We keep our cars on the roads and allow them to drive at a reasonable speed facilitating people getting from A to B.

We keep our children off the roads and allow them a much safer environment than roads regardless of what the speed limit is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

padser wrote: »
    Novel solution.

We keep our cars on the roads and allow them to drive at a reasonable speed facilitating people getting from A to B.

We keep our children off the roads and allow them a much safer environment than roads regardless of what the speed limit is.

Supervise our own children? It might just work!

The inference is that the ramps change your driving so that its dangerous. There is a law against dangerous driving.

The implication is that your average speed will be slower, if you have to to keep slowing down. Thats the aim of the bumps to lower the average speed.

So why do we install Ramps that change driver behaviour so that it is dangerous?
    Also, I said I approach ramp at speed limit, slow down to cross ramp and speed up again. Sorry, can't see the dangerous in that. Or I could slow to walking pace for the first ramp and maintain that throughout. Errm, no. Not gonne happen. How do you complain that ramps do what they are designed to do? Either we're agreeing and I'm not seeing it (no worries in that case) or you're trying to defend ramps by complaining that they cause "dangerous" behaviour by drivers. Er, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Oyva bigwan

Potholes are

So why do we install Ramps that change driver behaviour so that it is dangerous?
    Also, I said I approach ramp at speed limit, slow down to cross ramp and speed up again. Sorry, can't see the dangerous in that. Or I could slow to walking pace for the first ramp and maintain that throughout. Errm, no. Not gonne happen. How do you complain that ramps do what they are designed to do? Either we're agreeing and I'm not seeing it (no worries in that case) or you're trying to defend ramps by complaining that they cause "dangerous" behaviour by drivers. Er, what?

One of someone else points was that it's not possible to drive safely over a ramp or drive at a constant speed. People have to drive head on to other cars and lose all situational awareness.

So which is it?

Ramps only exist because people are unable to drive at a reasonable speed.

On my cycle commute the roads I dislike the most are the ones in the suburbs and estates. Far more speeding and dangerous aggressive driving than the city center. Much higher speeds too. There's something wrong with that mindset.

padser wrote: »
    Novel solution.

I didn't think kids were allowed to drive on the roads. Where do you live exactly??/

• Advertisement

One of someone else points was that it's not possible to drive safely over a ramp or drive at a constant speed. People have to drive head on to other cars and lose all situational awareness.

So which is it?

Ramps only exist because people are unable to drive at a reasonable speed.

On my cycle commute the roads I dislike the most are the ones in the suburbs and estates. Far more speeding and dangerous aggressive driving than the city center. Much higher speeds too. There's something wrong with that mindset.

Driving onto the other side of the road over a speedbump is certainly silly behaviour. That is not something I would do. There are bumps with very sharp edges that will warp your alloys if you drive over them anywhere near the speed limit, so you have to slow down to a crawl, hence the speeding up bit. I don't understand the logic of them, they are along the lines of "Take that you evil motorist!". If people want them, fine, but if they then come back whining and saying "people slow down and speed up going over speedbumps, I don't like that!", well congratulations, you wanted it, you paid for it (via you taxes) and now you have it. Enjoy!

Advertisement