Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skinny dog - advice please!!!

• 06-02-2015 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, we found an abandoned dog a few months back (she was like a walking skeleton) We took her to the vet to get checked over etc but she's hardly put on any weight, we're feeding her loads (Royal Canin medium adult) but you can still see her ribs! Any advice on how to fatten her up? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

What breed is she? Has she been checked by the vet specifically about the weight issue? What's her activity level?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Puppy food; higher fat content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

if you want to feed Royal Canin, switch her to Medium Sensible, its higher in fat than the medium adult. How often are you feeding her? Little and often is the best way to get weight onto skinny dogs, if you overfeed, a dog can actually lose weight, as they don't digest it all. If you can, feed four times a day, so that her system has time to digest it and get the benefits before her next meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Make sure the dog's wormed with a good wormer and feed scraps from butcher as well as puppy food. Watch for loose stool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

VonVix wrote: »
    What breed is she? Has she been checked by the vet specifically about the weight issue? What's her activity level?

She's a springer/lab cross. Normal activity level, goes for a walk twice a day. I haven't brought her back to the vet since I got her but he said at the time that she was most likely malnourished and underfed and that it would take time to fatten her up!

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    if you want to feed Royal Canin, switch her to Medium Sensible, its higher in fat than the medium adult. How often are you feeding her? Little and often is the best way to get weight onto skinny dogs, if you overfeed, a dog can actually lose weight, as they don't digest it all. If you can, feed four times a day, so that her system has time to digest it and get the benefits before her next meal.

Thanks for the info muddypaws, she's fed twice a day and she literally inhales the food, I timed her the other day and she had the bowl clean in 15 seconds!!!:eek:

223vmax wrote: »
    Make sure the dog's wormed with a good wormer and feed scraps from butcher as well as puppy food. Watch for loose stool though.

What's the best wormer to get to kill any/all parasites? She was given a worming tablet a few months back but she's due another dose now!

Thanks for the info muddypaws, she's fed twice a day and she literally inhales the food, I timed her the other day and she had the bowl clean in 15 seconds!!!:eek:

Poor girl, being undernourished, and a lab cross, not really surprising :P

it might help to feed her from a Kong or similar, if it doesn't frustrate her too much, slow her down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

If she has the bowl clean in seconds AND she is still skinny, maybe you need to feed her more food?

Definitely feed her more frequent portions.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    If she has the bowl clean in seconds AND she is still skinny, maybe you need to feed her more food?

Definitely feed her more frequent portions.

I'm feeding her nearly double of what she's supposed to get per day, so maybe I should break that down into 4 feeds per day instead of 2?

• Advertisement

I use Drontal to worm my other dogs, is that the best on the market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I'm feeding her nearly double of what she's supposed to get per day, so maybe I should break that down into 4 feeds per day instead of 2?

Id ignore whats she is "supposed" to get, until you see the weight coming up. And yes, 4 feeds sounds better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Drontal is ok but I use Milbemax tablets. Vets only and ensure you administer the correct dosage which is essential for correct treatment.

I'd probably up it a bit, but just shovelling food in won't make a dog put on weight, it will just come out undigested. If you have a huge blow out meal, what happens next? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

My lab has this issue and what I found to work for her was to pour boiling water over the food. Leave it for 5-8 minutes and the dog eats ALOT slower and it makes for easier digestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Maybe try a go-slow/anti-gulp bowl OP as well as the increased food? A good quality wet food might be a good option too - eg Rocco, Lukullus, Rinti are god value from zooplus

logik wrote: »
    My lab has this issue and what I found to work for her was to pour boiling water over the food. Leave it for 5-8 minutes and the dog eats ALOT slower and it makes for easier digestion.

Sorry to be pedantic, but you shouldn't use boiling water, it impacts on the make up of the food, and lessens its goodness. Luke warm or cold water is fine, I always put water on my dogs' kibble, to slow them down and to ensure they are hydrated

Advertisement