Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying snowboard boots

• 06-02-2015 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

hi all
    heading away in march and thinking of investing in my own snowboard boots. its my 4th trip so think its time. Looking for advice on whether to buy here before i go or wait till i get to resort. Also does anyone know when is the end of season sale usually on in snow and rock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Not sure when the end of season sale is on - go in, ask them and try on some boots to figure out what fits best & suits the style of snowboarder you are/want to be. I generally go towards the buy online side of things due to the price and I know what fits me, but if there is a sale on in S&R then go for it!

Planning on popping in there today as I'm tinkering with the idea of getting back into skiing in Kiltiernan as a midweek activity and a comfy pair of boots would get me up there. Last time i went skiing there I borrowed a friends boots that did not fit properly - pretty sore!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lulut

Thanks. yeah i know what you mean. Last trip i was wearing a size too small for the first couple of days and was in agony until i changed up a size. Afraid to buy online in case i dont get the sizing right

Im living down the country so was thinking of heading up when they have their sale on.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

Online is always the cheaper but just do research for sizing first.

Adverts sometimes has brand new boots people buy online but bought in wrong size. my girlfriend just got a brand new pair of burton 2014 boots for 40€ for example.

Snow and Rock are pretty pricey but it's good to find a pair u like, try it on to know what ur size is, then order them online.

Or just to find out you are a size X in a particular brand. then shop on line and only get that brand as the sizing will be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

corvus4906 wrote: »
    Online is always the cheaper but just do research for sizing first.

Adverts sometimes has brand new boots people buy online but bought in wrong size. my girlfriend just got a brand new pair of burton 2014 boots for 40€ for example.

Snow and Rock are pretty pricey but it's good to find a pair u like, try it on to know what ur size is, then order them online.

Or just to find out you are a size X in a particular brand. then shop on line and only get that brand as the sizing will be the same.

Snow and rock price match to all on line retailers! Just show them proof of price on line and they will offer the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭cormee

lulut wrote: »
    Thanks. yeah i know what you mean. Last trip i was wearing a size too small for the first couple of days and was in agony until i changed up a size. Afraid to buy online in case i dont get the sizing right

Im living down the country so was thinking of heading up when they have their sale on.

Make sure to loosen your bindings if that is happening, to make sure that's not what's causing the problem.

I had a pair of Burton Moto for years, size 12, I replaced them with size 11 (Burton Moto) as I wanted to reduce my overhang on the board. One of the boots was killing my big toe, I was worried it was the boot size but it turned out I had one binding set up too tight and loosening the bindings fixed the issue.

I just noticed this morning the nail on that toe is a worrying shade of grey :( ... TMI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 lulut

thanks everyone. Yes my nail went black too. (TMI sorry) the problem was sorted once i went up half a size.
    Think i would feel better going into a shop and getting properly fitted. hopefully they will last for a few years as I only get to go once or twice a year. I would rather buy new for boots as they say they mould to your feet after a while.
    If and when i decide to invest in a board I would consider second hand alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭cormee

lulut wrote: »
    I would rather buy new for boots as they say they mould to your feet after a while.

Most boots have linings that you should mould after you get them. Take out the lining, heat it with a hair dryers for about ten minutes then lace the lining onto your feet for about 20 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@Fattes, do you know if you can get a replacement snowboard boot lace lock? I have a pair of Salomon boots and the laces are held by only an open tension strap. The lace has frayed and isn't staying closed. I could cut and tie them but the lace is so small, it would be a nightmare to open them. Any ideas? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

@Fattes, do you know if you can get a replacement snowboard boot lace lock? I have a pair of Salomon boots and the laces are held by only an open tension strap. The lace has frayed and isn't staying closed. I could cut and tie them but the lace is so small, it would be a nightmare to open them. Any ideas? Cheers

Yep there is replacement lace kits available for snowboard boots! Or if you know anyone with an old pair of salomon trainers with a quick lace system you could grab the laces from them! Any authorized Salomon retailer like Snow and Rock or Great outdoors should be able to source them for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

I bought mine in July 2013 in snow and rock. I'll look the price up later if I can find it. 100% I would say get them here. It may cost a bit but worth it as it's your first pair, everyone's feet differ and boots are the most important piece of kit. You need to take time to get the right style i.e. lacing system, the right fit and ask for heat moulding. When you get home wear them around the house.

Don't forget to wear your snow socks when trying them on. Anthony in S&R will sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Forgot about this. Too busy packing. :) I got about 100€ off.

Advertisement