Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cockapoo puppy

• 06-02-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi
    We've decided to get a puppy, does anyone know where we would get a cockapoo puppy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

<snip> are going to be looking for lots of homes for puppies soon following the seizure in Dublin yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You do realise they are not a breed? Just a mongrel usually bred by back yard dodgy breeders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

OP, why have you decided on a cockapoo (cockerpoo) puppy? Maybe if you let us know what it is about them that you particularly like, someone can give you advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Chromer wrote: »
    Hi
    We've decided to get a puppy, does anyone know where we would get a cockapoo puppy?

Like AndreaC said these are mongrel dogs , if you pay a "breeder" they will be a puppy farm / back yard breeder - please avoid so we can try and eliminate these horrible places

I have a cocker spaniel.. they are fabulous dogs.... as are lots and lost of breeds.

What type of dog are you looking for ? ie active, indoor, easy to train, shedding etc - maybe we could advise

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chromer

<snip> are going to be looking for lots of homes for puppies soon following the seizure in Dublin yesterday.

Have sent email to <snip>, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Chromer wrote: »
    Have sent email to them, thanks

Don't expect a reply any time soon if at all, they are currently inundated with emails. The best thing you could do is wait and follow the situation, the moment they state they are taking enquiries (if they do get to that point) go down and visit them in person.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If it's the seizure of puppies you're talking about they probably won't be up for rehoming for a while if there's a court case. Plenty of other pups needing homes though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

They've asked that people don't go there in person as they can't accommodate no of people looking for the pups. They said to email, not sure of the email address. Some of the pups will be available for fostering from next week onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

hollytrees wrote: »
    They've asked that people don't go there in person as they can't accommodate no of people looking for the pups. They said to email, not sure of the email address. Some of the pups will be available for fostering from next week onwards.

As I said above the moment they are taking enquiries (as in, to rehome the puppies) that's a better time to make moves. Emails right now are most likely going to get buried so patience is key.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭hollytrees

The spokesperson from <snip> on news yesterday evening asked that people email now rather than call in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

OP, can I ask how set in your ways are you about getting a dog?

You mentioned a faux breed and quickly changed your mind when rescuing was mentioned. While rescuing is a great option and I commend anyone who does it, it makes me wonder if you are getting a dog on a whim.

A dog should only be taken in if you are 100% sure you want one, are fully prepared for raising and owning one and realise the consequence of doing so. If you are answered positively to those statements, then I think you should continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Theres a few of them in the seizure that will be needing homes soon.
    I think they are really cute dogs to be honest. We recently lost a purebred cocker and if cockapoos take the affectionate and undying loyalty of them then they will make fantastic pets. Not going to argue about them being crossbreeds but once they are happy and healthy does that really matter? My attitude towards Donedeal and the likes where you find them is always buyer beware, some ads have tell tale signs of BYBs and theres a great sticky here with advice on how to avoid them.
    We're not ready for another dog yet but when we are they would be a dog on the list of possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Of course it matters because unreputable people - Greeders are producing them with the aim to simply make money. They are not produced for type or temperament. Health tests are not done. 2 weeks ago one such crossbreed almost bit my hand off several times while I was trying to do a simple procedure. Many many of these dogs get the worst features of both breeds. I have seen coats like brillo pads. Awful bite problems - needing surgical intervention. Terrible temperaments. Lets face it if I have a fabulous Poodle I would be breeding excellent pedigree dogs. Hence the purebred parents of these crossbreeds are generally very poorly bred animals. Dogs that no reputable breeder would ever dream of using.

I love crossbreeds but never would I pay money for them while loads are dying in pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

If a person can find the dog for them in the pound or a rescue that suits them and their circumstances, that is wonderful for all concerned. When I asked almost a year ago about meeting my needs for a dog I really felt badgered by a few on this forum about rescuing rather than purchasing.

I wish some of you would take a deep breath and recognise that the rescue organisations have protocols and procedures that may not suit all households. They have stipulations that some new dog owners may not agree with. They may not have a breed or cross or mix that an individual feels meshes with them at the time that is auspicious by way of free time to house-train and welcome a dog.

It may be desirable to rescue rather than purchase but it is not a crime to purchase.

Of course it is not a crime to purchase. Nobody here said it was.

However imo it is a crime to pay money to unreputable back yard greeders for crossbreeds that greedy people give fancy names to in order to make money. There are plenty of pedigree dogs to choose from with the required attributes.

Knine wrote: »
    Of course it is not a crime to purchase. Nobody here said it was.

However imo it is a crime to pay money to unreputable back yard greeders for crossbreeds that greedy people give fancy names to in order to make money. There are plenty of pedigree dogs to choose from with the required attributes.

'Pedigree' does not equate to attributes or health. The retriever is a relatively recent breed, just as an example. Two healthy parents from compatible breeds are just as capable as producing healthy pups as two from the same breed. I'm not getting into the inbreeding argument about brachycephalic types or even the mess the pedigree GSD's have become. Focusing on pedigree alone is nonsense. Health and balance is key.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    'Pedigree' does not equate to attributes or health. The retriever is a relatively recent breed, just as an example. Two healthy parents from compatible breeds are just as capable as producing healthy pups as two from the same breed. I'm not getting into the inbreeding argument about brachycephalic types or even the mess the pedigree GSD's have become. Focusing on pedigree alone is nonsense. Health and balance is key.

The key word you are missing is Reputable Breeders. These health test their breeding dogs & only use top quality dogs for breeding. If you don't buy from a reputable breeder then it is buyer beware. You won't actually find a reputable breeder producing crossbreeds, & especially not from health tested adults. You also won't have any come back when sometime goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

And the key point is that the breeders that produce these crossbreeds rarely, if ever focus on the health of the bitch and sire to the detriment of the resulting litter. The myth that crossbreeds are healthier is just that, it's pure luck if the resulting litter is healthy, there is as much of a chance that the pups will inherit the parents problems. Take the farmers that cross pugs and beagles - you get the drive of a beagle in a dog with breathing difficulties. Or the ever popular "cavachon", the cavalier is one of the unhealthiest breeds out there, crossed with a bichon who rarely goes through life without digestive issues or skin problems. Thats just examples of two extremely badly thought out crosses. There's far too many to list.

The key word you are missing is Reputable Breeders. These health test their breeding dogs & only use top quality dogs for breeding. If you don't buy from a reputable breeder then it is buyer beware. You won't actually find a reputable breeder producing crossbreeds, & especially not from health tested adults. You also won't have any come back when sometime goes wrong.

Are you saying disreputable breeders are producing dogs that compete at Crufts - and win?

Are you saying disreputable breeders are producing dogs that compete at Crufts - and win?

Did I mention Crufts or winning? Nope! I'm talking about health tested dogs of sound temperament!

• Advertisement

Did I mention Crufts or winning? Nope! I'm talking about health tested dogs of sound temperament!

Holistic health is about more than heart, eyes, lungs and hips. "Breed standards" for pedigrees can lead even reputable breeders to reinforce characteristics that are not in the longterm interests of dogs. Sound temperament can't be guaranteed simply by genetics.

Quite apart from bull-types that can't breathe, spaniels with cherry eye, labs and retrievers with dodgy kidneys, there are a lot of pedigree dogs being produced that are not healthy, even if their parents were. They're sold as 'pets' with a non-breeding contract or neutered before puberty and sale. That's not in anyone's best interests. Recessive genes build up in a limited pool of breeding animals and will exhibit in the phenotypes given enough time.

If a person can find the dog for them in the pound or a rescue that suits them and their circumstances, that is wonderful for all concerned. When I asked almost a year ago about meeting my needs for a dog I really felt badgered by a few on this forum about rescuing rather than purchasing.

I wish some of you would take a deep breath and recognise that the rescue organisations have protocols and procedures that may not suit all households. They have stipulations that some new dog owners may not agree with. They may not have a breed or cross or mix that an individual feels meshes with them at the time that is auspicious by way of free time to house-train and welcome a dog.

It may be desirable to rescue rather than purchase but it is not a crime to purchase.
    I agree with this but knine didn't exactly say it was.
    We got our last dog from a reputable breeder at 9 weeks old so we knew everything about him, which we felt was important to us. We had him for 15 great years until 15th January just gone so we knew everything about him throughout his life.
    Getting a dog from the pound, you don't know any of this info. I know all animals will be health checked prior to rehoming but you know what I mean. Also, in general, pound dogs are larger mongrels that just wouldn't suit our family.
    I truly do believe that rescue is a great things to do, but it doesn't suit everyones circumstances and there are a number of contributors on the forum that attempt to pressurise people into doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Getting a dog from the pound, you don't know any of this info. I know all animals will be health checked prior to rehoming but you know what I mean. Also, in general, pound dogs are larger mongrels that just wouldn't suit our family.
    I truly do believe that rescue is a great things to do, but it doesn't suit everyones circumstances and there are a number of contributors on the forum that attempt to pressurise people into doing it.
    Dogs from the pound (like our yellow lab or, more accurately, 99% lab) are absolutely fine. Many are simply abandoned because some moron can't be bothered looking after it, or it pooped on a rug or something. And they come in all shapes & sizes, including purebreds, although it's rare to get papers. One really important thing about pound dogs is that if someone doesn't take them, they are euthanised. So going off to buy a dog from someone who has decided to breed dogs for profit can result in the death of another dog.

And if anyone has problems with a pound requiring that a dog be well-housed and well-treated, they should never be allowed to have a dog!

Holistic health is about more than heart, eyes, lungs and hips. "Breed standards" for pedigrees can lead even reputable breeders to reinforce characteristics that are not in the longterm interests of dogs. Sound temperament can't be guaranteed simply by genetics.

Quite apart from bull-types that can't breathe, spaniels with cherry eye, labs and retrievers with dodgy kidneys, there are a lot of pedigree dogs being produced that are not healthy, even if their parents were. They're sold as 'pets' with a non-breeding contract or neutered before puberty and sale. That's not in anyone's best interests. Recessive genes build up in a limited pool of breeding animals and will exhibit in the phenotypes given enough time.

Not by reputable breeders they are not. You see I know all about reputable breeding. Reutable breeders don't have limited breeding pools as we import, ship in semen, travel abroad. We don't just use the local kidney diseased Labrador to breed with our Poodles. You are taking about a subject you seem to know little about.

Anyhow none of this is helping the OP. Chromer I hope you get sorted with a nice puppy. Maybe if you call into the rescue centre they might be able to help you.

bpmurray wrote: »
    And if anyone has problems with a pound requiring that a dog be well-housed and well-treated, they should never be allowed to have a dog!

The comment in reference to hassle being given I think mainly relates to rescues that have impossible demands, often that the dog must not be left alone for more than a short few hours. People have to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

bpmurray wrote: »
    One really important thing about pound dogs is that if someone doesn't take them, they are euthanised. So going off to buy a dog from someone who has decided to breed dogs for profit can result in the death of another dog.
    !

The dogs people are talking about here WERE bred for profit though probably in horrendous conditions with god only knows what medical and behavioural problems as a result. The greeders as Knine aptly puts it probably got their money already and the transporters get off scot free so they'll continue churning out the puppies because they have a market for them.

Advertisement