Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not very intelligent ATM

Options
  • 06-02-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭

Went to an AIB ATM today to withdraw cash. Normally I'd take out 200 but the menu that came up offered multiple options and the closest to 200 was 220 so being too lazy to manually select it, I pressed the button beside 220 whereupon it informed me that it couldn't give me that amount and could I select a different number - without telling me the specific problem it had with with 220 or which amounts it was capable of giving me.

I assumed it was out of 10s and 20s so manually selected 200 which it delivered in the form of 4 x 50. Why did it offer me 220 when it wasn't physically possible to give me that amount? It looks like the initial menu of amounts is set in stone and the machine can't adjust the list to not show amounts that it can't dispense. In the 40 years or so since they were introduced, clearly the s/w hasn't made much progress!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

The nearest AIB atm to me doesn't even let you choose an amount, goes from 20, 40, 80, 100 and a few other options. It's really annoying when you want 50 or 60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

As far as Im aware the code that runs the atm's is really old outdated language that costs a bomb to update hence why they are so limited and old school for this day and age.... could be completely wrong but who knows for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

pillphil wrote: »
    The nearest AIB atm to me doesn't even let you choose an amount, goes from 20, 40, 80, 100 and a few other options. It's really annoying when you want 50 or 60

Not letting you choose the amount is a pain in the rear, and while we're whinging, if you dont have 20 euro notes, then dont give me the option for multiples of 20!

Not letting you choose the amount is a pain in the rear, and while we're whinging, if you dont have 20 euro notes, then dont give me the option for multiples of 20!

Ya, and another thing...:D

There's a PTSB atm near me that does something annoying, but I can't quite remember what it is.
    It's something like it says it can't pay out 50, but when you then request 40, it gives you a 20 and 2 10s. :confused: I might not be a computer, but I'm pretty sure I can make 50 out of 10s and 20s. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

ATM in our local shop only gives 50's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

9bred4 wrote: »
    ATM in our local shop only gives 50's!

That's the case with a lot of ATMs outside of bank branches, clearly it's to reduce the number of times they need to be filled. I supposed ATMs in colleges will be the exception but otherwise they don't want people taking out 10s and 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

The majority of ATMs are most likely windows XP running Cobol based software or something equally as outdated.

Bad times.

circadian wrote: »
    The majority of ATMs are most likely windows XP running Cobol based software or something equally as outdated.

Bad times.

Mehran? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

PTSB atm gave me €750 in €10 notes on one occasion. I couldn't close my wallet and had to get them to change them for €50 notes at the counter. My Bank not PTSB.

Advertisement