Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to Amature radio,looking for advice on first radio

• 06-02-2015 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

Hello,I'm totally new to the whole radio scene (apart from some experience with Puxings and Baofengs for airsoft applications)

Recently I have took up a huge interest in the numbers stations and listening to radios to see what I can find...Currently i'm limited in my ability to do this as my current radio (PX-777 can only scan from 400mhz - 480mhz)

I'm actually looking for a decent radio that would have the ability to allow me to listen in on the Numbers stations aswell as a decent range of frequencies to have a gander at :)
    I have no real interest in transmitting,only the listening side (Am I boring or what? :p )

So any help at all would be greatly appreciated,I'm looking for something that would let me do this,However my current budget is only around the 120 euro mark :(
    I have seen some really nice "desk" or "vechicle" mounted radios and that would really be what i'm looking for but a handheld one would be just fine if that's all that the budget would cover,thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

i have a tecsun pl-880 and a aor 8200 mk3, both of which are portable sw receivers. You would need a long wire antenna attached to either to pick up a good range of stations. I find a 40' peace of bell wire with a crocodile clip on the end does the trick.

The tecsun is in your price range but the aor is not. But can be got second hand for around 200 if you watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

There is a radio rally in coolmine community school next Sunday starting at 11 a.m. might be worth a visit to see whats available and at what price range.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

If you can't afford a decent radio you can always use an online SDR...

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Seán MacSuibhne

If you can't afford a decent radio you can always use an online SDR...

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Wow that's a wonderful resource!

Seán

Advertisement