Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JD's Woodhouse (Bray)

• 06-02-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Is this place closed down can anyone tell me? Everything seems to suggest it is, but:
    (a) for some reason I'm convinced we got a flyer in the door for them in the not-too-distant past
    (b) there are still signs in front of church and at bottom of arcade
    Tried ringing a few times recently but never any answer and the place always looks closed when passing.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I was there just before Christmas, but every time i've been passing during the day, it has looked closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

it's marked as closed on trip advisor

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cliffage

Another one to add to the list :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Location is the issue there I think.

Bray seems an awful place for restaurants though.
    Says a lot when places with decent offerings are struggling but 'Gourmet Cafe', a posh greasy spoon serving fried food imho is packed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Aw that's a pity now. They had Gluten Free plastered all over the takeaway menu so I was looking forward to giving it a bash! Defo though that location wasn't/isn't the best because although it's right beside a huge carpark it's still a bit out of the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Location is the issue there I think.

Bray seems an awful place for restaurants though.
    Says a lot when places with decent offerings are struggling but 'Gourmet Cafe', a posh greasy spoon serving fried food imho is packed out.

Mamma Mia just up the road from there is still going strong as is Kathmandu....

I was in the Martello the other day - first time eating there in ages and the Pulled Pork bap was really good.

Had brunch at Ocean last week and the full Irish is really good and great value. Dockyard No. 8 /9 (?) is a nice place to go as well.

The Port House tapas place is the same as its Dundrum and city centre sister restaurants and it's pretty good value.

Sent a bunch of ten visitors to the town to Platform a few weeks back and they loved it.

All in all, there are some really nice places to go to in Bray. There are also the more snacky places which I would't ever eat in. Same as in most towns I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Mamma Mia just up the road from there is still going strong as is Kathmandu....

I was in the Martello the other day - first time eating there in ages and the Pulled Pork bap was really good.

Had brunch at Ocean last week and the full Irish is really good and great value. Dockyard No. 8 /9 (?) is a nice place to go as well.

The Port House tapas place is the same as its Dundrum and city centre sister restaurants and it's pretty good value.

Sent a bunch of ten visitors to the town to Platform a few weeks back and they loved it.

All in all, there are some really nice places to go to in Bray. There are also the more snacky places which I would't ever eat in. Same as in most towns I think.

Yes would agree with a lot of what you say and it has improved. My favourite is the Campo de Fiori risto market. The food is just great.

My comments were more aimed at the main street and how the likes of Gourmet Cafe, Molloy's and Liz Anne's do well whilst other places stuggle,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

zoobizoo wrote: »

Where in Bray is that? Has it been there long?

Whosthis wrote: »
    Where in Bray is that? Has it been there long?
    Opened last year at some stage. It's above the Porter House on the seafront (next door to Martello). REALLY nice food - I'm a big fan! Only thing is I find it can work out pricey enough if you're hungry! They don't take bookings in advance I think - you just show up and I've never had a problem getting a table.

Yes would agree with a lot of what you say and it has improved. My favourite is the Campo de Fiori risto market. The food is just great.

My comments were more aimed at the main street and how the likes of Gourmet Cafe, Molloy's and Liz Anne's do well whilst other places stuggle,
    I quite like Liz Anne's!:confused: It's been there so long (granted with different name previously) that it's nice something so old has lasted. Where's Gourmet Cafe? Is that the one beside Dickers/Bannons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Yep - I'd agree with you there. But, it might have more to do with the demographic of the people who are on the main street on a daily basis. That includes the workers on the main street who might just want a sandwich and a coffee.

It would be great to see a really nice cafe there as I live close by (although Mamma Mia suits me). I always believe that if you "build it, they will come"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I know the owner of JD's and it has closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

fussyonion wrote: »
    I know the owner of JD's and it has closed.

The location doesnt work well for nighttime trade

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

That's a real shame it closed down. I know they branched out into deliveries last year and I had a delicious meal from them I always wanted to order again but it was always listed as closed on Just Eat. It was a little expensive there though so maybe that played a part too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭danois

I have a voucher for jds bought just before Xmas. When I seen it wasn't open in January I was hoping it was just shut for the month. I'm raging now stuck with a useless voucher :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

There is definitely a market for a good American smokehouse in Bray. Now that Campo di fiori have moved out of the new seafront premises, that leaves a perfect location available.

Advertisement