Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a flat torch-on garage roof

Options
  • 06-02-2015 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I have a garage to the side of and attached to my house. It's converted into a living room. The garage roof is poured concrete with torched-on felt above, which has started to leak, not surprisingly since the house is about 40 years old. I was thinking of getting the roof repaired and either re-felted, which a local contractor has quoted me around 4K for, or having a pitched roof built on top of it first, to minimise the chance of future leaks. What would you advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Explore fibreglass as an option
    4k seems a lot: say 2m wide and 6m long, 333 per sq m :(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

How much insulation is included?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 mykillokneel

+1 on the fibreglass option, especially if there are windows that would be compromised with a pitch roof. Also agree would be good chance to upgrade insulation at this point if below is inadequate. What does the 4k include? It seems ALOT for torch on

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

I can offer enke product. enke-werk.de
    roof coating flexible 20 year warranty.
    fiberglass didn't stretch and can crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

BryanF wrote: »
    How much insulation is included?

None!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

does the water sit on the roof or does it run off? 4k seems off the wall to me, you could take the torch on felt off yourself to save on costs, I would probably go with simply replacing the torch on felt, a pitched roof is going to be expensive... Getting onto gumtree etc would be my proposal, that kind of money is off the wall, 4k for some preparation and what I would expect is a days work?!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Epdm might suit.

Advertisement