Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Digging Holes in Garden

• 06-02-2015 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

How do I stop my dog digging holes in the garden? She's got the place destroyed and always does it while I'm not watching.
    Any ideas, I'm all ears.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

compo1 wrote: »
    How do I stop my dog digging holes in the garden? She's got the place destroyed and always does it while I'm not watching.
    Any ideas, I'm all ears.

Good luck with that, been trying years to stop mine but just gave up, always the same hole, always to the same size, i fill it, she digs it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

What's your dog's schedule like? What do they generally do during the day?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's difficult to stop the excavation of new holes, but the extension of existing ones can successfully be prevented by depositing some of their own poop in the hole :D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I have a section of my garden for the dogs. I recently moved house & had concrete put down & I brought a mesh dog run. It is much easier to clean up. No digging & much more hygenic for my kids using the rest of the garden. My terriers love digging & flower arranging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I had this issue with my cats and laid chicken wire over the soil... you can plant through it and it hardly shows. Works on veg patches as they grow through Not tried it with the dogs as I have a fence between path and garden now. My two have always enjoyed digging a good hole when we have been in fields.. Maybe leave one section they can still excavate.. But simple fencing areas where they cannot access is really the only answer.

• Advertisement

Are they walked enough? Seems like they have an abundance of energy and take it out by digging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

What breed is your dog? All dogs will dig up your garden, some breeds more than others regardless of how much excercise they get. My dogs are walked for two hours every day and will still dig up the yard. That's the joys of owning a dog ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭compo1

SingItOut wrote: »
    What breed is your dog? All dogs will dig up your garden, some breeds more than others regardless of how much excercise they get. My dogs are walked for two hours every day and will still dig up the yard. That's the joys of owning a dog ;)
    One little Corgi Cross. Walked twice a day, also gets some pampering just so she can tell me how much she loves me.:D
    Might try Graces7 suggestion or maybe peasant's idea.

Advertisement